Old 03-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #1

Folsom , California
Starting full re-wire-need help

Hello everyone,

I have 1973 31 ft. I am in the beginning stages of a full renovation/modernization.

The interior skins are coming down tomorrow. I have settled on an interior layout, I know where I want outlets, lights, appliance's, etc.

This airstream will occasionally travel, but 85% of the time will be stationary and connected to shore power. Will be used as guest house/vacation spot.

I have been searching the forums but haven't had much luck finding a start to finish wiring thread.

Anyone with knowledge or experience as related to my situation would be appreciated. I've budgeted $3500-4000 for wiring, inverter, converter, batteries, and pre-planned solar.

Mainly looking for diagrams, advice, or 'check out this link' that will help guide me through this stage of the renovation process.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Dans1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Lincoln University , Pennsylvania
Finishing wiring ours right now...
12v:
Get about 1000' (various colors) of 14awg GXL from wire barn. Get a 8awg white 40' for your main ground return.
A bunch of pidge connectors (spade and blade) blue and yellow.
Pick your nice LED lights and switches (we got some touch dimmers and touch switches for everything.
120V
Get an 8 breaker box and put it where your heavy power cord will be...

Make a diagram of where everything goes. Lights, switches, fans, fridge, USB ports, TV, furnace, etc...
We put our breaker box street side rear. Boondocker 1260PC up front by the batteries

Power cord - connect to input breaker. Run 2 lengths of 120 (romex 12/2) from the breaker box, along the roof to the front near the boondocker. 1 is for powering the boondocker. The other goes from the inverter (up front by batteries) back to a double throw switch that will connect to your 120v outlets. (allows you to power your 120v outlets from the inverter)
Run your other 120 to fridge, AC, micro, outlets, etc... (we will have a 2 throw switch to select microwave or AC) etc...

Put 50 Amp fuses on each side of your battery. I didn't use the 120V breakers in the boondocker...

Take some coat hanger wires and make some hooks to hang from Rivet holes along the ceiling. Get some stick on tip tie holders and some zip ties.
Run your white heavy ground wire along the ceiling. To the battery fuse, boondocker, etc...

Pick what goes on what 12v circuit... I limited to 10amps per circuit. Pick a color wire per circuit if you are smart (unlike me). Run the wire from the boondocker along the roof (your hooks) to the switch location. Put your pidge connectors on, then to your load (lights, etc) then a white 14awg to the ground. Cut some insulation off the fat wire and solder your 14awg to it. Don't reinsulate until you've gotten everything done.

Run 1 circuit at a time and test... Once done, test everything, tidy it all up and hang the wires in the holders and zip tie. Put some convolute anywhere you might get chaffing. Make sure everything is snug, safe, and how you want it. Remember, these wires are completely safe unless the get compromised. Don't let them get compromised.

Feel free to ping me with questions...

It's fun flipping on lights and getting it all working. I am just stubbing in my solar wires to the front... Not sure if / when we'll pull that trigger.
andymeyer is offline   Reply With Quote