Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Dallas , Texas
Starting from scratch and need some direction

Doing a full monte and I am ready to put the new subfloor down.
69 Caravel (18ft)
Before I do that I'm trying make sure I do all the pre-wiring I should while the trailer is in this current state.
DOES ANYONE HAVE A RECOMMENDATION AS FAR AS A THREAD THAT I CAN READ UP ON WHAT I NEED TO DO NOW?
Thus far I've only set up the new plug at the front of the trailer and run those wires the length of the frame. Pictures attached.
Do I need to wire anything as far the "shore power" is concerned?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer frame 3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	259933   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	464.5 KB
ID:	259934  

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring2.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	259935  
bucketlisttx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
In another life I did a lot of welding and built a bunch of trailers. What I always did was to buy 1/2" PVC conduit and run all of my wires in that. It's easy to work with and you can slide a wire out and replace it if something goes wrong.
Fasten them securely to the frame with conduit clips so they don't bounce and clatter around.
Run one from up in front all the way back to the tail lights.
Now days with all the communication stuff changing so rapidly I would also run a length of 3/4" PVC and make allowances to come up into the areas under the sink, battery charger, rear trap door and behind the fridge. That would let you expand the electronic aspects of your trailer in the future.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Great job so far....

If it was me I would not try to get too far ahead of yourself. I would get the plumbing roughed in before the electrical. Get the new Coosa subfloor on and the body back on, insulated and then run wire.

I have included a thread from a gentleman who lives not too far away from me. He would be a very good person to PM and ask for advice.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ns-113780.html

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote