Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
West linn , Oregon
Squirrel vs Dodge. Squirrel wins

We camped at Waldo Lake in the Oregon Cascades last week. A camp neighbor with a 2016 Dodge chassis Class B motorhome couldn't get it started and asked for a jump. When jumper cables could elicit a turnover even after several minutes we investigated further. Underneath his carriage we found 8-10 chewed-thru wires hanging limply from the engine, incl an entire electrical harness. His new motorhome was completely disabled and had to be towed 70 miles to the Dodge dealer in Eugene. What an expensive bummer.

I have several cubes of "Irish Spring" soap stashed in various places under the hood of my Tundra after I found my windshield washer hose chewed thru earlier this summer. (Advice from the Toyota mechanic who said he "sees this all the time". I fixed it myself for $4 vs $357 from Toyota.) Anyway, after this latest experience I was considering adding mothballs to my defense-anyone with experience with this? Do the electrical gadgets work? Probably should protect the trailer in addition to the pickup....
Lab lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
I was parked at a friend's house in Montana for 5 days. On the way home, I noticed that brake lights were on full-time, and Cruise control suddenly wouldn't work. Not to worry, under warranty. Not so fast. Dealer found wiring harness underneath chewed up. $300+ to fix, obviously not warranty item.

I would be curious to know of any preventatives that might work. Even though, those methods might be 'in spite of' rather than 'because of.' I say that because I've never had an issue in 30+ years. They've owned that home 15 years and have never had a problem. Then I did...once. I might put soap or a magic elixir under there and never have it happen again. Or not put something under there, and it still won't happen again.
It's a PIA in any case.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote