RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-05-2018, 12:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Berkeley , California
Sport 16' - Honda 2000 run AC?

Hi folks-

I've read at least 8+ threads on the the right generator for a Bambi Sport. I have a 2018 Sport 16 and am looking at upgrading to a lithium battery (100 Ah) and grabbing a Honda 2000W generator.

I seem to find a lot of information that running a standard + companion generator will definitely start and run an AC.... but how about a solo 2000?

Will it start/ run AC while using the fridge? I don't expect to run the AC while having other heavy loads (i.e. microwave).

My "worst case" use case is running AC while watching TV, having a light on, running fridge (can switch to propane).

Should I buy the companion first or the standard?

Also, would it make more sense just to buy the 3000 and not have to worry about dual generators? It doesnt seem to be substantially larger or heavier than the 2k.

Thanks!
Daamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:36 AM   #2
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
My understanding is no, not without installing a soft start control. There is a new Honda 2200 that will be available later this Spring which may run it without the AC control upgrade. Might be worth your time to wait for inventory of the new one to show up at your dealer. If I was in the market, I would hold a while. In the interim, research the suitcase solar packs. Won't run AC, but lots quieter than a generator and quite helpful in the shoulder seasons when AC is not required. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Some of the smaller trailers may have smaller air units. If 1100 unit is instaled gen may work with no mods..
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
Some folks have been able to run the 11000 BTU on a single Honda 2000 without mods, but its borderline at best and hard on both the genny and the AC. Installing an EasyStart will enable you to run the AC and everything else except the microwave on a single Honda in ECO mode, plus it eliminates the "clunk" the compressor makes when it kicks on. It a fairly simple modification. Here's a write up.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...rt-167609.html

Curious why you would incur the expense of a lithium battery and related parts if you are getting a generator? From what I've read on the forum, it's a lot more involved then just switching the battery.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamor View Post
Honda 2000W generator.
Honda's line of 2000 watt generators has been discontinued, and replaced with a 2200 watt version. Footprint-wise, same dimensions but include 200 more watts, a few updgrades, and no price increase. Many dealers have already sold out of the 2000s, and the 2200s are expected to ship March 1

Quote:
Will it start/ run AC while using the fridge?
No, not a typical 13,500 BTU rooftop system...you'll need at least 3,000 watts to run that, and 3500-4000 to have some cushion.

Note: Some people on www.rv.net report an aftermarket device that will modulate the current demand on an A/C and allow a 2000 watt model to start a 13,500 BTU AC.

Quote:
(can switch to propane).
Expect less maximum output and possible exhaust valve damage due to higher combustion temps. Also, all kits technically violate EPA and CA emissions regulations.

Quote:
Standard; it has more features, and cost less that the Companion, which is marketed to pair with a Standard and provide a 4000 (or in the case of the new 2200s, 4400 max watts.

Quote:
Also, would it make more sense just to buy the 3000 and not have to worry about dual generators? It doesnt seem to be substantially larger or heavier than the 2k.
Honda makes two 3000 models suitable for RV use; the base, EU3000i 'Handi' is only 76 lbs, while the EU3000is has electric start, larger fuel tank, slightly higher rated power, but is a 2-man-lift 134 lbs.

I will say that most RVers who want to run A/C will get a pair of the 2000s (or 2200s) as they are much easier to lift, pack, and store vs. the larger 3000 watt models.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Single EU2000i Operation

I have a 2017 28' Serenity with two A/C units. I have not modified them with a EasyStart to allow single generator operation. The answer is no you do not want to attempt to run your non-EasyStart modified A/C unit on a single EU2000i. I do believe in doing so you might cause damage to the compressor. With two EU2000i generators it's a piece of cake. I purchased mine from Genconnex with the propane modification. I thought about the larger 3000 watt Honda, but I didn't want to deal with the additional weight. The EU2000i weight is manageable. I know there are other generators that are less expensive, but my experience has been very positive with these Hondas.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
What is the size of the A/C unit on your Basecamp?
DaveP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I have a 15,000 BTU AC and I installed the Microair Easystart modification. Very easy to do and there's a very nice thread on this with lots of documentation.

My AC has never run better! No clunk starting up and the Honda will run the AC most of the time on eco mode. The Honda also has a fuel pump. Using standard marine outboard fittings, I hooked a metal outboard motor 6 gal can to the Honda and the fuel pump draws the fuel from the external tank. I can run for many days on one tank.
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
Rivet Master

42į 2' 27" N / 74į 7' 6" W , US
Quote:
Hi folks-

I've read at least 8+ threads on the the right generator for a Bambi Sport. I have a 2018 Sport 16 and am looking at upgrading to a lithium battery (100 Ah) and grabbing a Honda 2000W generator.

I seem to find a lot of information that running a standard + companion generator will definitely start and run an AC.... but how about a solo 2000?

Will it start/ run AC while using the fridge? I don't expect to run the AC while having other heavy loads (i.e. microwave).

My "worst case" use case is running AC while watching TV, having a light on, running fridge (can switch to propane).

Thanks!
Hi Daamor,

I have heard that the installation of an ĎEasy Startí would void your factory warranty. Something for you to check out and that the 2k watts are not enough to run a/c unit.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
I have a 13,500BTU heat pump with Micro-Air EasyStart and a Honda 2000 . It's a great combination but the 2000 will not run both the heat pump and the frig at the same time. A 2200 might work with both.

Micro-Air customer service is way better than excellent.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Alpharetta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvr_Bullet View Post
Hi Daamor,

I have heard that the installation of an ĎEasy Startí would void your factory warranty.
Not true; I work for Honda and can tell everyone just adding an Easy Start to your AC will NOT void your Honda warranty. You're not making any modifications to the generator, thus, nothing can be responsible for damage/repairs to it, and the original 36-month warranty remains in effect.

That said, if you DO modify your Honda, and those mods cause a problem, Honda's warranty won't cover repair costs, as they are not factory defects. Any legit factory defects are covered under the 36-month warranty.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

robert@honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:39 PM   #12

2006 25' International CCD
Alameda , California
Another vote for the Micro Air Easy Start

I run a 13,500 BTU unit that has the Easy Start with a 2000 watt Yamaha generator. Smooth as silk. ... The big advantages are size and noise. Both the Yamaha 2000 (which can be run on propane OR gasoline) and the Honda 2000 (or 2200) are considerably smaller, lighter and more efficient than the bigger models. And you only need one generator, not two.

Highly recommended to go this route.
john curley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
The Easy Start is a great option if you want to use either the Honda 2000 or Yamaha 2000 unit to run your AC. If you want propane option on your Honda, Genconnex has new Honda 2000 propane units complete with 3 year warranty, from Genconnex.

Now, if you want to run your AC without the Easy Start, and want to use propane, you might consider the Champion Dual Fuel electric start that many of us use. It will run your AC, use gas or propane out of the box, is very quiet, not too heavy to move around (95~ lbs.) and costs the same as a single Honda 2000. Just food for thought!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Berkeley , California
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Let me clarify a few things:

1. The 16 has the 11k BTU AC, not the 13.5.
2. I dont want to mod the AC. I am a huge fan of maintaining warranties (too much personal bad experience), so I won't do the EasyStart (though I do appreciate the feedback).

I'm guessing that the best route to go is to do the 2x 2200 Honda's to be safe.

On that same topic, apart from the AC, can a single 2200 run TV, wall outlet charging, lights, stereo pretty handily? Or also a 2x thing?

I wish there was a standard amp draw chart included in the Owner's Manual! (or maybe I missed it).
Old 02-05-2018, 06:20 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Colrain , Massachusetts
I have a 2016 Bambi Sport 16'....I bought the Honda 3000i handi which weighs 78lbs, and has a large swing up handle and comes with wheels...It runs the air and the refrigerator and tv with no problem....It's also one of the quietest generators on the market. It's stores in my tow vehicle, and it's fairly easy to pick up by myself ....The one negative is a small gas tank... but there are auxiliary tanks you can buy...I like the idea of one generator as opposed to the two smaller hondas ..
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Berkeley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyooo View Post
I have a 2016 Bambi Sport 16'....I bought the Honda 3000i handi which weighs 78lbs, and has a large swing up handle and comes with wheels...It runs the air and the refrigerator and tv with no problem....It's also one of the quietest generators on the market. It's stores in my tow vehicle, and it's fairly easy to pick up by myself ....The one negative is a small gas tank... but there are auxiliary tanks you can buy...I like the idea of one generator as opposed to the two smaller hondas ..
This is great feedback thank you.

Do you mind listing some additional info with this setup that would likely be helpful to other prospective and current owners?

1. Do you usually run it sporadically to charge batteries and shutoff? What battery(ies) do you have on your sport?

2. What is the typical 1 tank usage time (with some assumptions baked in)?

3. How about the furnace?

Etc.

My biggest fear is that the 3k is overkill for most situations for us (we are in Northern CA where we likely will run the furnace more than the AC).
Old 02-06-2018, 05:00 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Colrain , Massachusetts
I have the original group 24 battery, which I charge periodically and then turn it off....The generator will run for 8 -10 hrs if I run it continuously on one tank of gas...I don't need to run it that long to charge the battery, so I turn it off when Im not using the air or the furnace...I live in New England and the weather here is similar to where you live and more often than not, I use the furnace rather than the air conditioner...My opinion is that it's not overkill because you need some What of a cushion... The 3000i is a good size generator for the Bambi 16'
Johnnyooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@honda View Post
Not true; I work for Honda and can tell everyone just adding an Easy Start to your AC will NOT void your Honda warranty. You're not making any modifications to the generator, thus, nothing can be responsible for damage/repairs to it, and the original 36-month warranty remains in effect.

That said, if you DO modify your Honda, and those mods cause a problem, Honda's warranty won't cover repair costs, as they are not factory defects. Any legit factory defects are covered under the 36-month warranty.
Iím quite sure they were referring to the AC warranty.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

42į 2' 27" N / 74į 7' 6" W , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Iím quite sure they were referring to the AC warranty.

We are talking about the Airsteam Warranty ( Dometic unit ) not Honda. Not being argumentative just trying to stay on point. Itís more of a issue for people that have Airsteam Trailers under factory warranty and maybe extended warranties.
Silvr_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyooo View Post
I have the original group 24 battery, which I charge periodically and then turn it off....The generator will run for 8 -10 hrs if I run it continuously on one tank of gas...I don't need to run it that long to charge the battery, so I turn it off when Im not using the air or the furnace...I live in New England and the weather here is similar to where you live and more often than not, I use the furnace rather than the air conditioner...My opinion is that it's not overkill because you need some What of a cushion... The 3000i is a good size generator for the Bambi 16'
I have to agree with Johnnyooo....2 generators are a hassle, if your just trying to drive your AC. I thought we had some folks on the Forum who were running their 1300AC's with a Honda or Yamaha 2000 without the Easystart? Maybe your 1100 can be driven by one of these. If you could find a dealer (call your RV dealers) who would let you try out the Honda or Yamaha 2000 first with your AC, that is what I would recommend.

Most of the time in CA, we did not use the AC, so earlier we just had a single Champion 2000 and it served all our electrical needs, with our 25' AS's. That model is quiet, light weight, and 1/2 the price of Honda or Yamaha. Very reliable.

When we got our new 28', I thought about getting a second Champion 2000 and connecting them together, like Honda, but didn't want the hassle of 2 generators, plus the gas. That's why we moved to propane and the Champion 3400 Dual Fuel.

Let us know how you end up and take pictures...we love pictures!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote