Old 03-11-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
St. Louis , Missouri
Split Charging

I have been trying to learn about split charging, but still don’t believe I have it figured out so any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I have a heavy duty alternator with my tow package for my TV and two 6v in series on my AS Sport 16’.
What I’d also like to do is have a leisure battery in my truck bed to run some accessories when we are at a site.

Questions:

1. Can I simply run a split charger between the starter battery and leisure battery?
2. Would this adversely affect the AS batteries charging from the TV at the hitch?
3. Am I correct that the TV can handle charging the AS 6v batteries and leisure battery while driving?

I have thought of even just mounting a flexible solar panel to the truck to charge the leisure battery and eliminate the idea of split charging.
BTW when we’re boondocking, i have a Renogy 100w portable that does fine for now.

Thanks,
Marcos

Grateful26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Welcome Aboard!! 🥂👍

My experience...I learned that the TV alternator is the least effective way to charge the AS batteries.
I have never used 6v, Two Interstates 3yrs> 2 Lifeline AGM's 11yrs> 2 Lithiums 1yr.
Even the 200a in our Suburban is marginal at best.

FWIW...we used a 1000w Yamaha genset to keep everything charged in our first AS...23' '63' Safari.

Bob
🇺🇸

Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I have used a leisure battery (your terminology) for years.
Charge it with a solar panel or generator depending on circumstances.
My coach only has room for 1 battery. I mounted a 7 pin connector in the side of the coach. Wired only the charge line terminal and common/ground in parallel with the house battery.
This gives me the option of connecting the solar panel to charge the house battery or connecting the leisure battery in parallel with the house battery.