Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Specific wire routing question about RJ6 for Victron BMV-712

I've read a lot of the threads about people installing the system and I fully understand the how to of connecting the system up, my question is very specific to one area of the install.

It's the running of the RJ6. I have the factory solar, so mounting the display using that is out. My AS as shown in my info is a 2019 25 Serenity with RB.

I will be mounting the shunt in a electrical conduct junction box with a cover as seen in other threads here. So that means the RJ6 will leave the battery box, traverse the A-frame following the DC power leads, and enter under the front couch where the inverter is.....that's the easy part.

The next is....how do you folks get the RJ6 up to the overhead locker? That is where I'd ideally like to route and mount the display unit?

NOTE: I don't want to bury the display and only use Bluetooth, I want to see and use the main display also.

My second option is to mount the display behind the TV, but I don't relish drilling a hole in the main cabin wood.

So the question is, how do you get the cable up the wall?? Is it fishable without damaging the insulation between the walls?

Open to any suggestions about simplifying where to and how to mount the display and run the wire. It has to be easy to use and see and obviously easy to run the cable without busting out rivets to fish a single wire....which I'm not really prepared to do.

Thanks,
Chris
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
With a good electrical fish tape you can fish through insulation without doing too much damage to it. Of course you really have no idea until you open the wall later. But in an AS the insulation is minimal at best. Stuff some more in at the holes you make.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
I thought the BAT was now glued to the aluminum? If that is true, would you still be able to fish it?
Old 05-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I mounted mine right outside the bathroom taking advantage of the triangular chase right inside the bath. It’s worked out great and is a relatively easy place to route wires to.

In my case we have a front bed 25 twin so it was easy to route the wire under the curb side bed near the rats nest through the bathroom cabinets and along to floor into that chase. You’d want to use the chase opposite the toilet as it’s empty. The one near the toilet has the vent pipe inside so there it no room for the BMV-712.

The bottom picture shows the wire running along the bath floor and into the chase on the right (by the green handle.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13F8B07A-E18E-4B43-A3BC-CBD154B12B35.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	367127   Click image for larger version

Name:	4A261C91-2FBB-4A2A-8812-6568C1786035.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	367128  

daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I mounted mine right outside the bathroom taking advantage of the triangular chase right inside the bath. It’s worked out great and is a relatively easy place to route wires to.

In my case we have a front bed 25 twin so it was easy to route the wire under the curb side bed near the rats nest through the bathroom cabinets and along to floor into that chase. You’d want to use the chase opposite the toilet as it’s empty. The one near the toilet has the vent pipe inside so there it no room for the BMV-712.

The bottom picture shows the wire running along the bath floor and into the chase on the right (by the green handle.)
Interesting approach, I'll definitely take a look at if there is a way to adapt this to what we are trying to accomplish. Great pics, TY.