Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2021, 09:40 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2021 16' Caravel
Kirkland , Washington
Solar wiring color and solar shut-off switch

Hi folks,
Around the 12v circuit panel for my Caravel, although positive wires are in all kinds of color, almost all ground wires are in white, the only exception is the solar prewire, the 2 wires coming from the roof are in yellow and green (don't remember which one is positive).
I believe Airstream doesn't use white wire for ground wire in this case for a reason, I am wondering why and if there are special consideration needs to be taken when wire them especially WRT grounding?

I also came across a video

https://youtu.be/HOXnWXvLXko?t=304

which says you cannot just use a breaker/switch on the positive wire to disconnect solar panels (not battery), both positive and negative wires need to be disconnected simultaneously. Could anyone please explain to me why (besides there is a code for that)? Combined with the wiring color, I think there are reasons for that and I'd like to understand it more. I have seen many wiring done by folks use a single-pole switch on positive only, that must have been working for them
( https://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panel-k...system-harness )and I wonder what potential problem they might have.

Thank you in advance.
hovr is offline   Reply With Quote