Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Solar System Extension - Solartech Panels?

Has anyone any experience with Solartech solar panels? I want to add a second panel to my existing setup, and Kyocera seems to have abandoned the mid-size panel market. Our 85 watt Kyocera panel fits our FC23FB roof space very nicely between the A/C cowling and the front skylight vent, and does an adequate job of keeping us charged while off-grid (BlueSky MPPT controller and Gp 24 AGM batteries) except when we are heavily shaded. I've found only three manufactures that offer this size. The Solartech closely matches the discontinued Kyocera specs and warranty and comes at a nice price via Amazon.

I plan to add the second 85 watt panel between the A/C cowling and the rear skylight vent (removing the TV antenna which we never use) to maximize separation between the panels so as to improve the odds of catching sun.

I've considered a freestanding remote panel, but really don't want the bother and risk. We're on the move frequently, and rooftop solar is optimum for our usage.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
2012 23' Flying Cloud
GVA , British Columbia
Solar Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Has anyone any experience with Solartech solar panels? I want to add a second panel to my existing setup, and Kyocera seems to have abandoned the mid-size panel market. Our 85 watt Kyocera panel fits our FC23FB roof space very nicely between the A/C cowling and the front skylight vent, and does an adequate job of keeping us charged while off-grid (BlueSky MPPT controller and Gp 24 AGM batteries) except when we are heavily shaded. I've found only three manufactures that offer this size. The Solartech closely matches the discontinued Kyocera specs and warranty and comes at a nice price via Amazon.

I plan to add the second 85 watt panel between the A/C cowling and the rear skylight vent (removing the TV antenna which we never use) to maximize separation between the panels so as to improve the odds of catching sun.

I've considered a freestanding remote panel, but really don't want the bother and risk. We're on the move frequently, and rooftop solar is optimum for our usage.
Hello
Curious , I`ve been pondering the install of a solar panel system 80 watt portable and by the looks of things fixed to the AS would be the way to go . did you do the install yourself , and how difficult is it , I understand the AS we have are pre-wire for this is this correct?

Have you found your second Panel or .
LAWBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I received the Solartech SPM085P-TS 85-Watt Panel and it appears to be of the same quality as the Kyocera. I'll have my dealer install it, as I did with the first panel and controller. DIY would certainly be feasible with proper ladders and a helper. The Airstream was pre-wired for a 50 watt installation, but I had the dealer run heavier 8 awg cable as I anticipated installing more wattage and wanted to minimize losses. Choosing the 25 amp controller also made adding more wattage easy.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote