Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
north salt lake , Utah
Solar install in 25' Safari

After spending much time reading forums here, and advice from very competent people, I designed/installed a solar system in our 25' Safari this fall. I figured I owed it to others to come and share about my experience, as I'd borrowed from others.

Specifically, I want to acknowledge Sam's posts over at https://currentlywandering.com, and the lewster on these forums for freely sharing so much advice.

There are a ton of amazing installs that have been shown on these forums. If there is anything distinctive about ours, it is that we did it on the cheap.

Initially, we guessed a bit on size, deciding to install a 300w system, but sizing our wiring and charge controller for something larger (400w? 500w). So, based on info gathered from the aforementioned sources, here is what we ended up with:

3 x 100w Renogy panels
100/30 Victron MPPT charge controller
Victron BMV-700 battery monitor
1000w Renogy Pure Sine Inverter
Go Power 30A automatic transfer switch
6 gauge wire from the roof to the solar charge controller
2/0 guage wire between battery busses, inverter and batteries
Home-made panel mounts, roof combiner boxes, etc.

The installation
I started with installing our battery monitor, and cleaning up the wiring which was under the couch. Here is a little before / after

Beautiful Airstream factory wiring
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8999.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	266.1 KB
ID:	301509

Name:	IMG_9001.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	301510

During

Name:	IMG_9005.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	343.8 KB
ID:	301511

After

Name:	IMG_9007.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	301512
Things added: additional positive battery bus bar, 150a battery fuse, battery disconnect switch, inverter, solar charge controller, battery monitor shunt.

I hinged the lid so I could get to things without removing the couch.

Name:	IMG_9016 (1).jpg
Views:	143
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	301513

More in the next post....
cerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Looks great!
Will you get a 30% tax credit for that?
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
north salt lake , Utah
Continued on our blog...

Sorry, I didn't get to finish the post and it took a while to get approved, so I didn't get back to it. By the time I did, my wife asked me to put it in a blog post, so it is continued on our blog.

You can read it here:
https://kidproject.org/2017/12/29/nomadic-solar-power/

And yes, we plan to claim the 30% solar tax credit
Old 09-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Ormond Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerickson View Post
After spending much time reading forums here, and advice from very competent people, I designed/installed a solar system in our 25' Safari this fall. I figured I owed it to others to come and share about my experience, as I'd borrowed from others.

Specifically, I want to acknowledge Sam's posts over at https://currentlywandering.com, and the lewster on these forums for freely sharing so much advice.

There are a ton of amazing installs that have been shown on these forums. If there is anything distinctive about ours, it is that we did it on the cheap.

Initially, we guessed a bit on size, deciding to install a 300w system, but sizing our wiring and charge controller for something larger (400w? 500w). So, based on info gathered from the aforementioned sources, here is what we ended up with:

3 x 100w Renogy panels
100/30 Victron MPPT charge controller
Victron BMV-700 battery monitor
1000w Renogy Pure Sine Inverter
Go Power 30A automatic transfer switch
6 gauge wire from the roof to the solar charge controller
2/0 guage wire between battery busses, inverter and batteries
Home-made panel mounts, roof combiner boxes, etc.

The installation
I started with installing our battery monitor, and cleaning up the wiring which was under the couch. Here is a little before / after

Beautiful Airstream factory wiring
Attachment 301509

Attachment 301510

During
Attachment 301511

After
Attachment 301512
Things added: additional positive battery bus bar, 150a battery fuse, battery disconnect switch, inverter, solar charge controller, battery monitor shunt.

I hinged the lid so I could get to things without removing the couch.
Attachment 301513

More in the next post....
Hi there,
I have been searching and finally found your post and blog for your solar install on your 25 safari. I have the same airstream 25ss and planning essentially the same solar installation using (4) 100 watt Renogy panels with the Victron 100/30 bt, 712 smart monitor and 1000 watt pure sine inverter. Any additional info, tips and photos for install would be greatly appreciated.

My biggest question is where is each end of wire chase you used from refrigerator compartment to back of couch ?

Thanks, Jim B.
JMB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
north salt lake , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB11 View Post
Hi there,
I have been searching and finally found your post and blog for your solar install on your 25 safari. I have the same airstream 25ss and planning essentially the same solar installation using (4) 100 watt Renogy panels with the Victron 100/30 bt, 712 smart monitor and 1000 watt pure sine inverter. Any additional info, tips and photos for install would be greatly appreciated.

My biggest question is where is each end of wire chase you used from refrigerator compartment to back of couch ?

Thanks, Jim B.
Hey Jim,
Thanks -- if there are any other specific photos or questions, let me know!

As far as the wire chase, it runs from inside the armrest of the couch to underneath the back dinette seat. You just remove the access panel from the seat, and should be able to find it on that side. IN the armrest, there should be a bundle of wires coming into it for the CD changer -- that bundle goes into the chase.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Ormond Beach , Florida
Quote:
Hey Jim,

As far as the wire chase, it runs from inside the armrest of the couch to underneath the back dinette seat. You just remove the access panel from the seat, and should be able to find it on that side. In the armrest compartment, there should be a bundle of wires coming into it for the CD changer -- that bundle goes into the chase.
——————————————————————————————-

Thanks for getting back. I did find the wire bundle under the armrest as well as the wire chase. I also lifted the dinette seat and saw the bundle disappear under the refrigerator and reappear in the refrigerator compartment front curbside. Is the new solar wire and 12/2 pulled from the area under couch arm back to the refrigerator compartment ? If so, how difficult was it to pull the 12/2 and the 2 6 wag solar wire ? That chase seems awfully full as it is. Also, where did you install your monitor ? Sorry for all the questions but you are the only 25’ Safari sleep six that has been kind enough to post and document your installation.

Thanks again,
Old 09-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Ormond Beach , Florida

Name:	IMG_0067.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	720.7 KB
ID:	322413
Old 09-19-2018, 07:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Ormond Beach , Florida
25SS Solar Wiring Diagram

Quote:
Hey Jim,

As far as the wire chase, it runs from inside the armrest of the couch to underneath the back dinette seat. You just remove the access panel from the seat, and should be able to find it on that side. IN the armrest, there should be a bundle of wires coming into it for the CD changer -- that bundle goes into the chase.
Hey Cerickson,
Do you by chance have a pdf of your wiring diagram? I now know what I need to do on the roof and getting into the couch area and back to converter. Your wiring diagram would be very helpful and I won’t ask you any more questions regarding your solar install.
Thanks !
Old 09-20-2018, 05:13 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
north salt lake , Utah
Hey, I don’t have a wiring diagram, but if I didnitnwouldnlook really similar to the one from currentlywandering’s post:
https://currentlywandering.com/2016/03/21/power-upgrade-the-bliss-of-automatic-transfer-switches/

There are a few small variances, e.g. I think I have a few more breakers, and installed another bus bar etc.

Don’t mind the questions at all
Old 09-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Ormond Beach , Florida
Where did you end up installing your Victron Battery monitor ?
Old 09-29-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
north salt lake , Utah
If you can find the cat5 cable by your tank monitor,, I’d mount it by the tank monitor and replace the ends of the cat5 cable (whose other end is behind the couch). I could not find mine, despite houses of hunting.

If I could do it over, I’d have fished it with the other wires and mounted it next to the thermostat while I had the fridge pulled out.

As it is, it is on the curb side wall by the couch. I tried to get it by the battery disconnect, but couldn’t fish it.

I did get the Bluetooth dongles for both (HIGHLY recommended), so I barely look at the in wall display.