Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Solar Controller

This post is for information purposes.

When I had my LY motor-home, I had a 124-watt PV (photo-voltaic) panel (AKA solar panel) installed while I was at the International in Madison. This was done by Camping World, who were the designated/upgrade people. The controller there installed was a 30-amp one (can't remember the brand), and it had failed about a year or so later. Camping world replaced it under warranty, and for the most part it was just adequate.

Since I do some extended boondocking, and since I sleep with a CPAP unit, the solar charging system had taken on a level of importance.

When I sold the LY motorhome and bought my current Excella, it came with 225-watts of solar panels, 4 AGM batteries & a Trace inverter/charger. However, the solar controller was broken (the PO had tried to dissemble it, and it was missing parts). So I looked around until I was able to buy a 30-amp controller branded "Blue Planet" that was identical to the one I had had in the LY motorhome. One of the things I noticed was that it never really complete the charge of the batteries - the first day they reached maybe 12.7-volts, but each succeeding day the batteries topped at less and less voltage, topping out at 11.5 volts. As a result, I made the decision to look into getting a new controller.

While passing through Quarzsite AZ (where solar is a big item), I changed the contoller for a Blue Sky 3000i, it is an MPPV type of controller that has boost built in - i.e., it is a 3-stage controller. t the same time, since there was a sale on 140-watt PV panels (less than 1/2 what I paid for the 124-watt one I bought at Madison), I opted to add another panel, bringing my solar panels up to 365-watts. This necessitated, as well, getting heavier wiring from the controller to the batteries. The wiring from the panels was: 10AWG from the 225-watts + 10AWG from the 140-watt new panel. Since the original wiring was 10AWG from the controller to the batteries, the minimum requirement was 8AWG; however, the cost differential to go to 6AWG was about $50, so I opted for the 6AWG.

For the first time I now show that my controller has an output of 14.4 volts. The Blue Sky 3000i has a setup menu that allows all the parameters of the controller to be configured.
I'm providing this information for those who intend to install or upgrade their solar charging system.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:11 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Interesting trip with the systems. Do you do a lot of boondocking, is that why you can use a nice charging system?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
When I installed my solar I went with a Blue Sky 3000i a year ago - have been very happy with it - it performs in the background perfectly and gives required info for monitoring the batteries and solar input.
A bonus is the support from the manufacturer - they are in California and the owner/inventor is very helpful and helped me through the insulation when I bought the wrong size (to small) controller.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Interesting trip with the systems. Do you do a lot of boondocking, is that why you can use a nice charging system?
Yes, I do a fair bit of boondocking. In fact, we spent a week at "the steps", state owned land between Parker AZ and Lake Havasu City AZ just last week. We have a number of friends that are part of a boondocking group. In past I have spent as long as 3 weeks out in the BLM land at Quartzsite. The limiting factor, of course, is the waste tank - when it gets full we have to find a dump station. Like you we reside in Ottawa Ontario, so it is a nice hike - about 12-15000 miles round trip for the winter.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote