RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #21
JDG
Riveted

2018 33' Classic
Charleston , West Virginia
Same here. Hoping to have two installed at Hershey this year. Following on “new improvements”.
JDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #22
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post
Matteo, thank you for taking time to post your very professional response. I have a question about Micro-Air and the WBCCI International Rally. If I understand correctly, Micro-Air attends the rallies and does installations.

We'll be attending our first rally and staying in the non-generator area. Are you able to do installations on trailers "in-place" and if so, how do you manage to "train" the system by running it on the limited power? We're told running AC on the supplied power is not allowed.

Looking forward to meeting you in Loveland (hope you get to attend).
Thanks, Jeff
Hi Jeff. Thanks for your kind words, along with everyone else's. Everyone at Micro-Air greatly appreciates its.

You bring up an interesting point about the Loveland International Rally. I found and read the FAQ at this link, and I see they even forbid running the common Dometic Penguin II A/Cs even with EasyStart installed! This is because they're forcing everyone to 20A hookups, and you'll be ganged together with one or more neighbors. Then, if anyone overloads and blows the breaker, they'll cause a local blackout to more than just themselves. Understandable.

Please note that Micro-Air won't have their own booth at Loveland, but instead some Micro-Air staff will be partnering with Hutch Mountain (our largest Amazon EasyStart distributor). Clayton obviously will have plenty of propane-powered Honda EU2200i generators since that is his business, so I'll alert him as to this situation to make sure he clears temporary, daytime-only generator use in the non-generator area with the rally committee, for purposes of testing the new EasyStart installations. If they won't go for it, then we'll have to rig up an inverter/charger with a "battery cart" that we power the trailer with that we're testing, and then later plug into an outlet to charge after we use it to run the A/C a couple times. That'll be a challenge, so hopefully we're allowed to run generators for a few minutes every so often to at least get one or two starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Thanks Matteo. I’ll be ordering this summer. Any idea when the next “updated” units will be available?
You're most welcome! The team at Micro-Air is always working hard to continually improve every product they make, but we're not sure if our next design iteration for EasyStart will be ready by Loveland. In any event, you'll always get the latest and greatest!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:47 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
Had 2 easy starts installed by Micro Air at the Doswell International rally. Rock solid device and customer service. Would not hesitate to do it again. The only real competition is Dometic waking up and not making this technology standard in all ACs.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 09:52 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
How do I get on an install list at Loveland?

tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:06 AM   #25
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaugh View Post
Hi tbaugh. Micro-Air likely won't have sign-ups before the rally. As soon as the rally opens on Saturday, just stop by the Hutch Mountain/Micro-Air booth in the exhibitor area and you can schedule your installation right there!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Powell , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
Hi tbaugh. Micro-Air likely won't have sign-ups before the rally. As soon as the rally opens on Saturday, just stop by the Hutch Mountain/Micro-Air booth in the exhibitor area and you can schedule your installation right there!

Thanks
tbaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:10 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Thank you for the technical report. In keeping with your disclaimer, I will ask no questions. I remain very pleased with the performance of my Airstream unit and the 368 on my home unit.
I eagerly await the details on your new "improved" model to see if it something I need to swap out on my Airstream.

Larry
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

South East , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro-Air View Post
Hi GettinAway. The short answer is yes, if the unit is ever submitted for a claim with the EasyStart still installed. Adding an EasyStart is akin to adding a hard start device, so why the OEMs would turn a blind eye to one and not the other is still unclear to us. We at Micro-Air know all of the teams at Coleman/Airxcel and Dometic quite well. Sadly, if you call them up and ask if they'll honor their warranty if you install an EasyStart, they likely say "no". Honestly, we can't blame them for taking that position because we wouldn't want anyone modifying our equipment either.

As a SOB owner, I attended my manufacturers rally last summer. Airxcel gave a presentation put on by a combination of their Customer Service and Engineering folks. I asked them point blank "Would installing a MicroAir EasyStart unit on my A/C unit void your warranty?" The short and direct answer was "NO".
Old 03-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Had the EasyStart installed a couple of years ago after I was unable to run the a/c as the momentary current draw tripped the main 30-amp electronic breaker in the Xantrex Freedom 3000 charger/converter/inverter. Has not been a problem since,
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:15 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
I admit, I do a bit of shade tree HVAC stuff on the side and am far from an expert. When I first looked at this, it sounded a lot like a hard start capacitor. If this is true, it's really neat that you can run your 15k RV AC with a 2k genset, but every HVAC person I've spoken with basically tell me that these things are hard on the gear and basically a death sentence for the remaining in line capacitor. I'm sure this is a great product, well made and certified (speaking of the Micro-Air) unit. Can someone tell me what the difference is between this and a hard start cap which packs more juice to get things going with less supplied line voltage? Not trying to knock the product, just trying to understand paying $259 for this vs $90 for a hard start cap? Both void manufacturer warranties and appear on the surface to do the same thing, only one is in neater package.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Why not start by looking at the web page and resources: https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

Their tech guys are responsive so if you have more detailed questions, ask them.

Larry
lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:47 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
One reason you can run the AC on a 2000 generator is that the Honda is a very good generator that puts out its full rating and maybe a little more. I am not sure how other 2000 generators measure up. I have read that some will not work for the AC. My voltage stays up fine on the generator when I run the AC so it does not seem hard on it.

I have a switch to cut off my converter when I need to. Actually my microwave draws more than the AC.

I am not a technician and I do not know how the Easy Start works. But I am pretty happy with it. I do know that there was more than a capacitor in the box and that the compressor started smoother for each of the 5 learning starts. Does a hard start capacitor “learn” and adjust itself?
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
SoftStartRV by NetworkRV - air conditioner upgrade

EasyStart has a carefully programmed microcomputer controlled current limiter circuit.

It senses and learns the characteristics of the compressor motor, and once the 5 training starts are completed, optimizes the voltage and current profile sent to the motor every time it is turned on so it starts gently and efficiently.

It also provides a time delay between fan motor start and compressor start to further avoid current surges.

It also monitors current and voltage supplied to the compressor and will shut off power to protect the motor from overcurrent or under voltage. It’s a great thing to add to an air conditioning unit.

An OEM plain capacitor start circuit is basically dumb brute force hardware. No protection circuits or ‘brains’. No comparison.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #34
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Does a hard start capacitor “learn” and adjust itself?
Hi Bill. Thanks for your question. No, a hard start cannot learn or self-adjust. A hard start is simply a start capacitor in series with a PTCR. All it does is shunt the run cap with extra capacitance for about 0.5 to 1.0 seconds during start-up. After that, the PTCR gets hot and goes to high resistance, thus taking the start cap out of circuit.

The EasyStart is totally different. It is a microprocessor-controlled soft start. It orchestrates a very elaborate, 4-part starting sequence that involves ramping the voltage and current, separately to the run winding and to the start winding. EasyStart has sophisticated circuitry to measure the rotation of the compressor and the current (amps) in real-time. By gently accelerating the compressor, rather than hitting it all at once (like a hard start or OEM configuration does), EasyStart can almost completely eliminate that "spike" or "surge" that the compressor normally draws during each startup. That surge is often too much for a 2000W generator or inverter. These power sources have enough to run the compressor, but not to start it. EasyStart eliminates this surge, thus allowing the compressor to start when it otherwise would not have.

And if that weren't good enough, when the start is over EasyStart isn't done yet! EasyStart essentially removes itself from the circuit after the start is over, but it continues monitoring the compressors voltage, current and rotation so that it can detect problems during steady-state operation that might otherwise damage the compressor. Stalls, power brown-outs, overcurrent conditions, open overload protectors, etc. are all detected by the EasyStart, and it will shutdown the compressor if any such faults occur. Then, it will wait for 3 minutes before restarting so that the internal refrigerant pressures have time to equalize first. No hard start can do any of this!

So, as you can see, there is a dramatic difference. Check out this YouTube video for a side-by-side comparison that I did about 4 years ago.

Thank you again for your question.
Old 03-04-2020, 03:38 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
SoftStartRV by NetworkRV - air conditioner upgrade

PTCR is a Positive Temperature Coefficient Resistor for those who dislike acronyms like I do...

The EasyStart is the best gadget for running air conditioning on a generator ever invented, in my opinion.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:51 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
We have installed many easy starts and a pair of soft starters from network rv.

I am very happy with the support and ease of diagnosed issues with the micro air units. Also, while the soft starters from network rv look similar inside, there is no adaptation period needed.

Last week we replaced a dometic penguin 2 air conditioner under warranty, not one question was asked about the Easy start that was installed. Yes the compressor failed, evidently this one fell into a serial number range that was expected to fail. As the only thing asked for warranty repair proof was a picture of the peeled off serial tag.

I have found, that by putting the micro air into "relearn" mode, it tries to start just like a capacitor start unit, you can measure start amps and LRA of the compressor, without the easy start interfering.

We did switch the micro air easy start to the new unit, did another adaptation, and everything worked flawlessly.

P.s. I really like the clear lids, makes diagnosis way easier without having to take the lid off.
Crackerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:06 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari S/O
Lakeland , Florida
So, what is the technical report on SoftstartUSA product? I am leaning toward the Micro model as I can’t seem to make contact with Softstartusa.
mike28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #38
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike28 View Post
So, what is the technical report on SoftstartUSA product?
Hello Mike28. Since the report was a violation of the forum rules for commercial members, we removed it from this thread weeks ago. Sorry about that.

Thank you for your support!
Old 03-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerman View Post
I really like the clear lids, makes diagnosis way easier without having to take the lid off.
I just bought one and was curious about the new clear lid. What does it allow you to see?
DCPAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #40
Electronic Controls OEM
Commercial Member

Allentown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPAS View Post
I just bought one and was curious about the new clear lid. What does it allow you to see?
Hello DCPAS. The clear lid allows you to view the fault LEDs, if necessary, for troubleshooting purposes. Previously, the opaque lid required that you remove the lid in order to troubleshoot, and this sometimes put the IP65 waterproof seal at risk upon re-installation.