Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #61
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Maryville , Illinois
50 amp - 15 amp Adapter SmartPlug

I just received a call from ETrailer that my 50 AMP - 15 AMP pigtail adapter for SmartPlug on my 2021 Classic is being discontinued. I've had it on order since 5/13 with an expected delivery of July 15
Not sure what the deal is, but looking at a simple fix to connect my smartplug to the storage shore power and don't want to continue to use my main plug.
Laptopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:21 PM   #62
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
I am getting ready to install the Smart Plug, how much slack is there when I remove the male side from my Airstream? Do I need to cut wires or do they screw into OEM plug? Do I need to just cut off the female end of the cord and attach the new end?
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 11:23 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laptopt View Post
I just received a call from ETrailer that my 50 AMP - 15 AMP pigtail adapter for SmartPlug on my 2021 Classic is being discontinued. I've had it on order since 5/13 with an expected delivery of July 15
Not sure what the deal is, but looking at a simple fix to connect my smartplug to the storage shore power and don't want to continue to use my main plug.

The official response from SmartPlug is attached. They are working on a new version and awaiting Certification.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Response from SmartPlug on 15A to 50A Adapter.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	397934
Old 06-21-2021, 11:46 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I am getting ready to install the Smart Plug, how much slack is there when I remove the male side from my Airstream? Do I need to cut wires or do they screw into OEM plug? Do I need to just cut off the female end of the cord and attach the new end?
You will be fine. There is plenty of slack to pull the OEM Furrion 30/50A inlet out from the side of the trailer, disconnect and reattach the power leads to the new Smart Plug inlet. 10 min, job at best.
Old 06-22-2021, 02:07 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
Do not cut the original wires until you are certain your arrangement has enough slack. I just finished upgrading both 30A sockets on my 2015 RBT (25’). Regarding the trailer side wiring, there is enough slack to get the receptacle out, but in my trailer I would say it’s tight, rather than say plenty of slack. Perhaps different floor plans/trailer sizes have different wiring surplus, mine had just enough. I do not have enough slack to cut the wires and re-strip new bare copper so I re-used the wiring as it was originally cut from the factory build timeframe. For the new sockets, I also had to eliminate a small strain relief piece from the new SmartPlug socket, but I have zero concerns about that. The back side of the new SmartPlug sockets (I have 2, 1 on the front, 1 on the side) are both up against an interior trailer wall, I have zero space back there, so as an additional precaution I put “wide” electrical tape across the back side of the SmartPlug socket. Wiring is well protected, the SmartPlug design is very good.

For the power cord side, I cut off the factory end (about 6” worth), stripped cable and insulation, and attached the new SmartPlug that mates to the trailer side socket. The pedestal end of the 30A cord does not change.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:26 AM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Maryville , Illinois
I appreciate the response. I’m dealing with the same issues in my business, but theirs is compounded with the redesign as well. Just looking for a better solution in the meantime. Hate using my main plug for storage.
Laptopt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
I just got the same email from etrailer, they are tying to push something else off on me as a replacement. Did they credit your credit card, that's what I'm tying to get them to do for me.
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Germantown , Tennessee
I just bought a SmartPlug to install on my '73. I took it out of the packaging and I found that it takes some amount of force to plug the pieces together. I'm worried about it flexing the aluminum skin.

Do folks put some sort of backer behind the skin for extra support? Or is this really not an issue? How are they installed at the factory?

Thanks!
lojoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:57 PM   #69
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Celina , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
You will be fine. There is plenty of slack to pull the OEM Furrion 30/50A inlet out from the side of the trailer, disconnect and reattach the power leads to the new Smart Plug inlet. 10 min, job at best.
When I removed the rear plug the wire was so short that I could not even get the entire plug out of the whole, so I guess I am stuck using the OEM

Gary
Castaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:16 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:19 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lojoma View Post
I just bought a SmartPlug to install on my '73. I took it out of the packaging and I found that it takes some amount of force to plug the pieces together. I'm worried about it flexing the aluminum skin.

Do folks put some sort of backer behind the skin for extra support? Or is this really not an issue? How are they installed at the factory?

Thanks!
Following.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #72

2022 30' Flying Cloud
Bayville , NJ
Hey There! Any update on this from SmartPlug ? This is exactly what I need to run a small inverter generator next to the rig, without lugging out the "big dog" cord.
Durkis007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 07:43 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Daytona Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkis007 View Post
Hey There! Any update on this from SmartPlug ? This is exactly what I need to run a small inverter generator next to the rig, without lugging out the "big dog" cord.
nothing here yet
nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote