Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 04:38 PM   #1

Airstream - Other
Athens , GA
Simple AC only wiring set up for stationary airstream

Im doing a restoration of a '56 Availar Camper... a very similar build to the Airstream. i will be using it as temporary housing as i build a house... so it will be parked on land that has access to power. i am trying to figure out what sort of electrical system to put in it and dont think i really need to worry about a battery system and converters for my application. my power needs will consist of an ac unit, a fridge, 2 or 3 overhead lights, and a few outlets for charging computer/phone. does anyone have advice for what sort of panel i should buy and how many amps i should expect to need?
lvpennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
If you use typical RV A/C, fridge, lights and/or water heater you will need 12V for the controllers and lights for all of those so you will need a small battery say 6-10 Ahr minimum and a charger or converter of some sort. You will need 18-25 amps minimum to comfortably run it without tripping the breaker, I'd do 30A as the standard, but with some planning you can get by with 20A. Good luck!
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote