Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Should I unhook batteries from shore power?

Ok dumb question I am sure, but when you are plugged in to shore power for extended periods should I unhook the batteries or at least from the charging? Just thought about it the other day and was wondering if it was hard in the batteries to be charging all the time.

Matt
flyfishrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
With a simple one stage charger, that would not be a bad idea. With the modern 3 stage chargers available it is unnecessary. If you have an original simple Univolt it is time to replace it anyway. Something like a Progressive Dynamics PD 9245 or 9260 would bring you up to date.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
So can you explain to me how I know if I need 45amp or 60amp? I understand voltage stuff better but this combining of volts and amps is new to me.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
It has to do with the rate at which the converter will recharge batteries and the capacity it has to handle 12v use without using power from the batteries while connected to shore power.

For a larger trailer with lots of lights, I would lean towards the 60 vs the 45. Even with all the lights on, it would still recharge the batteries quickly.

I also like the Progressive Dynamics PD 9260. I have PD converters in both of mine.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Thanks Vaughn,

Wasn't sure what all that meant really. Well it is a 34ft trailer so with all those lights and open space I should probably go with the 60!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
I remember Andy Rogozinski posting something to the effect that the Univolt systems didn't balance properly if the coach battery was out of the circuity. Leaving one of those constantly plugged in requires regular checking of electrolyte levels.

A modern voltage converter certainly will do an excellent job of protecting your battery.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #7

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishrra
Thanks Vaughn,

Wasn't sure what all that meant really. Well it is a 34ft trailer so with all those lights and open space I should probably go with the 60!
I just replaced the buzzy-volt in our 31' 76 with a PD9260. It was fairly simple and quick.

We purchased ours from http://www.adventurerv.net/

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Ok I haven't looked down there yet but two batteries equals one 9260 or one does both batteries? Dumb question I know but I am at work and can't go look! Stupid work getting in the way of trailer stuff!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
One converter charges both batteries at the same time with a stock 2-battery system.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishrra View Post
Thanks Vaughn,

That would be my recommendation.

If you want to see photos of an install, check out http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...0-a-57567.html. I went way overboard with a 9280, which required an adapter to even plug it in. It certaianly doesn't sweat the load, the fan almost never comes on. I think the 9260 would have been more than enough.

The first few posts in the thread are good for you. After that, it took some strange turns (as threads here on the forums often do) into unrelated issues in a motorhome.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishrra View Post
Thanks Vaughn,

I really don't know all that much about converters and amps and all that stuff but let me give this a try. I am with you when it comes to confusion about such stuff. Since I am also a fly fisherman, I think I should step up and help you a bit.

When you plug into shore power the 110 goes directly to your 110 outlets in the coach and to your converter. The converter "converts" this to 12 V DC which powers all your lights, water pump and fridge electronics. It also starts charging your battery or batteries if you have more than one.

The old converters had a 1 stage battery charger built in which means that it simply started charging batteries at a set level. If left unattended, these would over charge batteries in short order and "fry" them. The newer units have 3 stage chargers that sense when the batteries are nearing complete charge and step down the rate of charge accordingly.

Now, as far as the amp ratings issue, this is what I understand. The more amps the converter has will allow it to run more 12 V appliances at once AND still have power to charge the batteries. I don't have a clue as to what is needed so when I replaced mine, I listened to the tech guy. I have an IOTA converter with 55 amp rating and a three stage charger. It is rather sweet and I don't worry about my batteries when I am hooked up. The PO left the trailer plugged in 24/7 and the batteries were toast. When he took it out he always plugged it in at his destination. When I opened the battery compartment, it was an ugly sight.

I hoped I have not insulted you with this and that at least some of what I have said was useful. I am sure we will hear from others if I have said anything in error.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
I've also decided to replace my Parallax with an Iota and the IQ4 module. As a fulltimer, I'm always plugged in. As a result, I recently found one of my batteries dry. I had an indication that the batteries might not be healthy after a 3 hour power outage. Of course I had the fantastic fans running front and rear. When the power came back up, the fans noticebly increased in speed, telling me all was not well. My batteries were installed in 2006 by a PO, so we've gotten our collective monies worth.

By the way, both batteries look to be in excellent shape physically, no corroded terminals, etc.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1983 34' Limited
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Thanks Everyone! Not offended at all guys. The more information I can get the better. I have helped build houses and lots of other stuff. Not new to most of it but some of this is new to me so just trying to understand from those that have dealt with it! Ordering a new 9260 today! Batteries are brand new and I would like to keep them that way! Also hate the stupid 24/7 buzzing!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
You'll love it. The PD I installed is dead quiet even when the fan runs.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
I will add one thing if you are plugged in all the time you are using your trailer the second battery really doesn't help.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote