Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
1973 25' Tradewind
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
Shore Power-Unplug OR Plugged In?

We are on site, in a campground that we get to infrequently. It could be two weeks or two months between visits.

Should we leave the shore power plugged in or should we disconnect when we leave?

The only thing that would be on is the intellipower to charge the two batteries and an electric clock. The refer is off, nothing in it.

Thanks in advance for your ideas
Riverton, NJ
tfbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I would unplug it and disconnect the battery cables, just in case something went wrong. Weather (lightning), heat, voltage spike/drop, somebody messing around all are a risk.

Maybe put one of those little solar battery chargers on to keep the batteries up, but they should be okay between your visits.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If your converter plugs in to an outlet, simply get a 24 hour timer, and set it to come on for 15 minutes a day. That will keep the battery charged. You could probably do the same thing for the shore power connector, but it would be more involved.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I always left my cruising sailboat plugged in to shorepower when I was not there, but mostly to be sure that the batteries could not die and leave me without a bilge pump. It was never a problem.
With your AS a small solar panel would easily keep the batteries charged and you could not worry about any AC power problems. I would opt to unplug and just buy a small solar panel.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I have done it both ways. I now leave mine plugged all the time even at home my Intellipower (PD 9260) is a 3 stage charger and the batteries last a "lot" longer.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I leave ours hooked to shore power all the time. The Intellipower is a really good unit and is designed to provide a "float" charge to the battery to keep it up to snuff. While I've had a small trickle charger go bonkers and fry a motorcycle battery years ago, the Intellipower's and other new models are well designed and I don't have any concerns. Also, during the rainy season (up here it's from late September until early August) I leave an oil filled radiator style heater plugged in.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Briarcliff , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
If your converter plugs in to an outlet, simply get a 24 hour timer, and set it to come on for 15 minutes a day. That will keep the battery charged. You could probably do the same thing for the shore power connector, but it would be more involved.
Thank You! - Great idea.........

My 1966 Avion does not have a "smart charger" (yet) - but this is a great interim fix!

2022 Escape 19
7GenTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
For storage I unpower everything and disconnect the water.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote