Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Shore Power Cord

I've never bought a "new" Airstream but I've had several, 4 to be exact. Is Airstream delivering all new units with the now Smartplug 30 or 50 amp AC connector or are some of them still being delivered with the old L5-30 twist type? The marine industry is abandoning that product because of fires but not sure how fast the RV industry will adapt.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
IMHO as long as the old, inexpensive L5-30 is available, that’s what will be installed at the factory. I certainly hope the SmartPlug becomes more common, because from my point of view it makes much better sense from a reliability standpoint, and it’s bunches easier and quicker to connect.

We’ll see how it progresses in the market.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
IMHO as long as the old, inexpensive L5-30 is available, that’s what will be installed at the factory. I certainly hope the SmartPlug becomes more common, because from my point of view it makes much better sense from a reliability standpoint, and it’s bunches easier and quicker to connect.

We’ll see how it progresses in the market.
It's fascinating. You look at a the temps after just a few minutes. The marine guys are already on board for obvious reasons the but its the same in the RV side. I did hear AS is shipping new units with them at least as an option but maybe stock OEM. Need to talk to Brad.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have looked at the new SmartPlug RV power components on some other RV. My neighbor has it on his new Class B. It's really cool and east the way it works.

I would seriously consider this update on Lucy. Has anyone here done it and how has it worked out?

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
here a link to what they look like

they look better than the old twist lock

http://smartplug.com/why-smartplug/
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Corona , California
I’ve put one on my AS. It fits in the exact same hole and fastener pattern. Most of my difficulty was getting a pound of hardened caulk out from behind the original plug. After that, it went in slick.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I have looked at the new SmartPlug RV power components on some other RV. My neighbor has it on his new Class B. It's really cool and east the way it works.

I would seriously consider this update on Lucy. Has anyone here done it and how has it worked out?

Brian
I put one on my 23FB; when I recently sold it and got a 2014 23d, I immediately got a Smart Plug. On both of my installs, it took a little modification on the inside of the trailer to get the whole plug assembly to fit. (The back of the assembly contacted the inner skin, so I could not get the outside to fit flush with the outer skin.) It seems on some models/sizes, it is not an issue.

I love the upgrade, it is a much more solid connection, and the plug connection does stay noticeably cooler, especially when running a high load such as the AC. I also love the solid 'locking' connection to hold the plug in place, instead of the cheap plastic threaded ring on the old Furions.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I did the install two years ago and really like the simplicity. The positive latching mechanism works really well. Not inexpensive, the price=value as far as I’m concerned
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Smart Plug 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
I've never bought a "new" Airstream but I've had several, 4 to be exact. Is Airstream delivering all new units with the now Smartplug 30 or 50 amp AC connector or are some of them still being delivered with the old L5-30 twist type? The marine industry is abandoning that product because of fires but not sure how fast the RV industry will adapt.
Randy, Is this what you have used on your "68? I am looking into changing out my shore power cable and was looking at the Marine Furion connection. I am hoping that you have already converted yours to have you post info and pictures of your installation. Thanks, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Randy, Is this what you have used on your "68? I am looking into changing out my shore power cable and was looking at the Marine Furion connection. I am hoping that you have already converted yours to have you post info and pictures of your installation. Thanks, Ed
Hi Ed,
Actually I sold my 68 a few years ago but kept the handle My friend owns it now and I'm trying to buy it back. One of those things where I can't let him know how bad I want it back haha.
I was sent a sample of the 30 amp combo kit by the manufacture and I'll I can say is wow. The way it easily connects, locks in place, and isn't subject to the weight of the cord is remarkable.
They offered for us to be a master distributor since we specialize in the electrical supplies only and it became a no brainer once you have the product in your hands to compare. 20X more contact/connectivity to reduce resistance and heat over the Marinco and Furion connectors.
The inventer (Kevin Smith) was a mariner and watched one too many boats catch fire from the L5-30 at marinas and decided it was enough. FWIW, Made in the USA too. They are more expensive than the L5-30 connectors for sure.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:04 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Watching...

...the Classic doesn't have the MM plug on the side of the trailer, only the cord to deal with. But the plug on the end still sux. 😳👎😏 Options?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 08-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
...the Classic doesn't have the MM plug on the side of the trailer, only the cord to deal with. But the plug on the end still sux. 😳👎😏 Options?

Bob
🇺🇸
Hi Bob,
Haven't talked to you in awhile, hope all is well.
The 30 or 50 amp plug on the end of your power cord is kinda limited to the type on the pedestal at campgrounds. Smartplug addresses the problems with the twist type on the vehicle where it gets so hot from minimal contact.
That said they are working with Eaton to develop a new pedestal that accepts the Smartplug as well as the old style so there will be an option for that. I suppose it will be awhile before they start showing up at RV parks but they are coming for sure.
Also, for those that use a generator or plug their RV in at home, one could easily install one for that but would require a separate cordset.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My generators have a 30 amp RV plug. It is part of the parallel kit.
Of course they are Yamaha's
No twist lock involved.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Brian
Hi Moose/Brian ha I don't know how long its been since I've been taken back by the obvious non snake oil. These company's throw samples at us all the time and I usually don't even test them. These guys have something going on.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Corona , California
The pedestal end of the SmartPlug 30 amp power cord has the standard RV-30 three prong plug on it.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The pedestal end of the SmartPlug 30 amp power cord has the standard RV-30 three prong plug on it.
Yes it does. The intent is to prevent fires on the RV/ boat side. Not much yet for the campground side but it’s coming.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
I know a lot of people upgrade the 30A connection because it gets hot with lots of current, but how about the 50A connection? My factory 50A Airstream El Cheepo seems to work OK. Any body have problems with this?
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote