Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Sharp Aquos 12v power cord

Has anyone had any luck locating a 12v cord for their Sharp Aquos LCD TV? Airstream likes to point out the fact that they offer a 12v TV as an option (which I have) but .....

It IS a 12v TV but they use 120 AC power along with an adapter to bring it down to 12v DC. The problem is I can't find a straight 12v power cord to go directly from the 12v cig socket to the TV. Sharp doesn't use the plain 12v type connector on the back of the TV, instead it's a little proprietary plastic plug that supplies the 12v from the adapter to the back of the TV. I had considered buying an additional power supply/cord from sharp, cutting off the end and putting a regular cig style plug on it, but they're very proud of their little power cord/AC adapter setup (100 $$).

Even if I could just find a plug that fits the TV, I could make my own cord.
Camp-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Those..........
Cut the cord. Put a mini plug socket connector on the orginal wire, one end male and one female. Cut the cord of a standard 12v cord. Put a connector on the end that's the same as the one on the AC side of the orginal line. Now you can use either the AC or the Cig plug line. Radio shack should have mini plug socket sets. You may want to add an inline fuse.

Some day those...... little adapter plugs will be standardized by volts and amps. But no time soon. The margins on those things most be huge.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
I have seen DC power adapters for older Sharp panels on the net, but I have no way to know if they use the same bizarre connection at the monitor end as the units we get from Airstream. I sent an e-mail to Sharp about it a couple of weeks ago. Still no reply.

I find this situation infuriating.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 04:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Anyone have a picture of that bizarre connector that you can post? Maybe somebody else can identify it and find a source.

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v