Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Question Satellite radio antenna mounting & wiring

I'm getting ready to add some form of satellite radio (still debating XM or Sirius and portable or hardwired) to the trailer and truck. I've looked at most of the kits and they all seem to come with a magnetic antenna mount. That will work OK on the truck, but we haven't had much success with magnets and aluminum . How are you satellite radio listeners mounting your antennas? FYI - I am leaning toward the XM direct box which should hook right into the factory Sony head unit. Also, I did a quick search before posting this question and didn't see anything else on this topic.
Thanks,
Ken
Old 11-14-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
XM the way I went

I just got satellite radio too. I first went with Sirius, but the receiver had technical difficulty, so I switched....cause XM has NASCAR. I have it in the truck, but have yet to put it in the trailer. With the home kit with the high gain window antenna, in the trailer, you shouldn't need to mount an antenna on the trailer, it'll work fine just facing out by one of the windows. I love XM, the decades, NASCAR and the Comedy channel. Driving too and from NY from NC and back, I never have to surf radio stations now.

Let me know what you decide.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
I use XM radio in both our truck and in the Airstream. I got two "Car Kits", mounted on in the truck and simply put the antenna at the very front of the dash, where the dash meets the windshield. You might have to move it around to find the spot with the best reception, but once you find it there is no need to mount it outside the vehicle. The airstream is another story. I've been unable to get reliable reception with the antenna inside the trailer. I just ran it under the front window screen and out the window. When I'm driving I attach the magnetic base to the frame of the trailer. When we stop, I raise the front window protector and set the antenna on top of the now horizontal protector. It works great.
02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Dave & Rob, Which receiver are you using? I'm looking at the Roady 2 and The Skyfi2 (if I go portable). Are you using the FM modulator or the cassette tape adapter to play through your FM receiver/tape deck? I'd like to go directly into the aux inputs on my Sony in the trailer and the Bose in the truck (adapter available from PIE). And finally where are you getting your 12 VDC from? I did find a Terk XM antenna for trucks and RVs that would be a nice permanent mount.

I appreciate your feedback,
Ken
Old 11-14-2004, 06:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Delphi SkiFi

I have the Delphi SkyFi, with the Cassette to radio option. Both of our two vehicles have Cassettes and my 85 Airstream has a sony tape deck in it too. As for 12 volt, the home kit, the one with the window high gain antenna for the SkiFi, has a 120v adapter for the reciever. Hope this helps.

Rob
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Satellite radio antenna mounting & wiring

I installed a XM Roady2 last summer. I mounted the antenna on the roof and it has always picked up a signal (so far). The antenna comes with a strong magnetic base which was mounted by riveting a galvanized steel bracket (bracket is Picture 1 and picture 2 below show mounted antenna) to the roof. The antenna wire was routed through the roof between the inner and outer walls ( path is shown in Picture 3) . The receiver was mounted on the wall near the switch for the water pump( picture 4) . BTW this was installed on a 1963 Globetrotter. By putting it in this location it can be hidden by the curtains. The Roady II broadcasts on one of several FM frequencies through the antenna wire so I had to leave a section of the antenna wire exposed inside the trailer. This allows us to have a vintage radio inside the trailer that actually plays the selected program. I can even sit outside with a portable radio and pick up the selected programming within 20 feet or so of the trailer. The Roadie also has a small remote to change channels etc.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 06:24 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

the pictures for my last post

I'm trying again to attach pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xmantbase.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	9460   Click image for larger version

Name:	xmantongt.JPG