Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2003, 04:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Satellite

If you subscribe to dish or direct tv, and you take your reciever with you, and a dish can you get reception? In other words if you are a home subscriber what else do you need to use the dish in the wild?
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:45 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Satellite

You can certainly get a reception as long as you have a clean line facing south. I don't know if you can just up and move your existing DSS system (receiver & dish) at will. Obviously your coordinates will be different and that will probably sound alarms at DTV who might think that you are trying to pirate the signal. Whenever I have added another receiver to our system (we run 3) DTV needs to know where the receiver will be installed in the home. I want to use a dish & receiver that I have left over (cheap tripod stand from CW for the dish) and my guess is that I will have to add this receiver as an addition over and above the primary unit which runs about $5 or so per month. I am also wondering if I have to sign up for a certain duration and whether I can run this subscription (say for for 6 months camping season) and then freeze it for 6 months. I know a guy who installs the DSS systems for a living and I will ask him for info. on this.

Montanaandy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 06:57 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

We have Dish Network and when I called them the first of the year they said we could take our reciever and dish from home and use them in the motor home. We took them with us to Texas but never got the chance to use them. Too busy to take the time.

Paul
Crsoley Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 07:09 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You can pick up and move your stuff anywhere in the contental U.S. (maybe even Canada and Mexico too, but I'm not sure). The card, box and dish are not locked into a specific longitude or latitude.

Me, if I had the $$, I'd get one of those auto signal trackers. Real neat, clean, but some real war bucks!

BTW, FWIW, I have DirectTV and have changed locations with my gear a few times since I have a spare dish (haven't brought it camping though...

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 07:41 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

I have taken my Directv system all over the U.S. , the only thing you won't be able to get is your locals, although if your not too far away you may still be able to recieve them . I feel it is great to be able to use my sat system where ever I wish. I use an old camera tripod and drilled and taped a 1/4-20 hole in the base of the dish mounting brackett. Then I use the camera mounting screw on the tripod to mount the dish.Once its mounted I aim it using a compus this usually only takes about 5 minutes at most ,then I use a Hartz brand dog tie down to keep it secure and in place . Tom
71tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 06:13 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

I reguards to moving the dish, The only way the DSS provider will know you have moved the dish is if you tell them you did. There are meny meny truckers that have DSS and they set up all over the country. THe only thing as mentioned is a clear view of the southern sky. I have Direct tv and fully intend on taking it when I get my A/S. As long as the bill is payed you can use it anywhere.

Tim
Airstreamlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

link to dish info

Here is a website I bookmarked that tells all about satelite dishs and hook-ups.......hope it works for you....lol..jem

www.bart.cci.com/home/mnemeth/sat.htm
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

correction on link

other link didn't work....trying again....jem

http://bart.cci.com/home/mnemeth/sat.htm
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 08:53 PM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
John,

I think this is the link you meant to post, those darn missing letters.

http://bart.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/sat.htm
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:36 PM   #10
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
yep, it works fine...

I have a spare DSS receiver and dish that we have in the trailer. I've set it up all over Iowa. Works great as long the trees in the south aren't too thick. You'd be surprised at how well the signal can get through partial tree cover.

The receiver in the trailer is a couple of generations old and has recently gone on the fritz. Fortunately my folks switched from DirecTV to Dish Network, so they're going to send their extra receivers up from TX over the winter. All we'll need to do is move the card that way.

Radio Shack has a corkscrew dish mount for a few dollars that is easy to set up as long as you have soil to screw it into. A satellite finder meter is available for a few dollars, and it makes setup a snap.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote