Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
safety disconnect switch

When I purchased my used air stream the safety disconnect was still mounted on the trailer tongue but had be disconnected. The installation instructions only said that the new switch should be connected the same as the old switch??? I have a red and blue wire that comes out of the frame near the coupling. The blue wire just dead ends and the red wire is connected to the power jack There are also a black and a blue wire that is run with the main cable connecting to the TV - these wires are just dead ended near the propane tanks. Does anyone know which wires the emergency disconnect switch should be wired to? Does anyone know what the blue and black wire dead ended near the propane tanks might have been used for?
GMarugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1989 34' Limited
long beach , Mississippi
the blue wire should go to your brake. The black is usually Battery Power. so is the red. Check with a Voltmeter which one of those two has power on it. if you touch the wire that has the poweron it to your blue wire, you should here a little noise from your brake magnets. connect those two cables to the disconnect switch.
Once you hook up your Tow Vehicle, leave the umbilical cord unplugged, pull the safety switch and try to pull the trailer. the trailer brakes should lock.. Perform this test before any long travel... hope this helps.

Resurrecting one Airstream at the time..
maybe one day i save them all
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
I know the red is hot because it goes to the working power jack. Any idea what the blue and black wires going to the top of the propane tanks might have been for?
Old 07-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

These were probably for gauges which measured the level of propane in the tanks, and sent a reading to the overhead display panel inside the front of the trailer. They were fitted to my trailer, but the system is obsolete, and, with modern change-over automatic regulators with red/green indicators, they are unnecessary IMHO.
Nick.
Old 07-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1982 27' Excella
Huntsville , Texas
Safety Disconnect

Thanks for the information, it is appreciated.