RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Rusting Furrion 30A port

I installed a Furrion 30A port on my trailer a couple of years back. I failed to notice that there was a clear bit of plastic on the face of the cap, and did not remove it. Over the months, I have noticed that the cap is becoming discolored, and finally had a good close look at it and discovered the clear plastic. So it appears that moisture was getting behind the plastic and causing the "stainless" steel to develop little rust spots.

There are many grades of SS, some more stainless than others, but what I really wondered is can I just polish the rust off and go about my business, or is there some kind of chrome plating that I risk damaging by rubbing on it. I tried contacting Furrion's customer service, and the response I got was beyond useless.

So any of my fellow Furrion users out there experienced rust on their caps, and if so, how did you address?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8363.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	388522  
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 25' International
Slidell , Louisiana
It's just a stainless alloy and as you noted its a misnomer as its more stain resistant....

Anyway you can carefully apply some phosphoric acid to it only, especially if the cover is easy to remove. Don't let the acid get on the aluminum or other metal items. Or just use vinegar to remove the rust. Wash with lots of fresh water, then sand if it is deeply pitted start with 150-200 grit and go to 400 then 1000 for a brushed finish, 1500 to 2000 for polished and 5000 for mirror. Or if no pits use rubbing then polishing compound. It will look fantastic once you are done.
BayouBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
No, but I have a spare. The guts in mine melted due to a poor cord end. Couldn't find parts, so had to buy a whole new one.
I wont be home from my trip until April, but you're welcome to it.
As an alternative, I have to fly home tomorrow for a funeral and could bring it back. I'm in AZ, but will be traveling through Texas in 2 weeks...staying at south padre.....after that week, I'll be travelling around Houston on my way to the panhandle of fl.
Let me know if it is worth the trouble.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
No, but I have a spare. The guts in mine melted due to a poor cord end. Couldn't find parts, so had to buy a whole new one.
I wont be home from my trip until April, but you're welcome to it.
As an alternative, I have to fly home tomorrow for a funeral and could bring it back. I'm in AZ, but will be traveling through Texas in 2 weeks...staying at south padre.....after that week, I'll be travelling around Houston on my way to the panhandle of fl.
Let me know if it is worth the trouble.
Wow, that is a generous offer. I'm not in a hurry for it, so don't make any trouble for yourself over it. I'll try the cleaning/polishing approach, and if that turns into a disaster, I'll let you know. Then again, if it isn't a hassle to toss it in your bag on the way to the airport, maybe we could meet for a beer in a few weeks...

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Wow, that is a generous offer. I'm not in a hurry for it, so don't make any trouble for yourself over it. I'll try the cleaning/polishing approach, and if that turns into a disaster, I'll let you know. Then again, if it isn't a hassle to toss it in your bag on the way to the airport, maybe we could meet for a beer in a few weeks...

Thanks!
Will leave a PM.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Tried buffing at it with one of those green mildly abrasive woven finishing pads, but it didn't even clean things up. Went to a 400 grit sandpaper and blew the rust off, but there is some fairly deep pitting. Put a little buffing wheel on my dremel tool and used some red buffing compound to work it over a bit. Below I have attached a couple of pics, one after the sanding, and one after the buffing. The pitting still shows if you are right up close, but it is "good from afar," as they say.

So, the good news is that this part had no plating on it, as far as I can tell, and I was able to get it mostly shiny again without ruining it. The bad news is that the shiny cover can't be removed without drilling out a pin, or removing the entire assembly from the trailer, so I did my repair work with it in place, which is less than ideal.

Anyway, in the interest of knowledge sharing, hopefully someone else (Furrion customer service?) can benefit from this post...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8400.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	389259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8401.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	389260