Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2017, 09:48 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Noise pollution
At the risk of jumping into a toxic thread, nobody has mentioned the asthmatics. I've been in campgrounds in the deep south in summer, the deep south where the sultry air tends to stand perfectly still, and between the combination of camp fires and generators, there is no way that a person with asthma could possibly remain. They'd have to pack up their rigs and depart regardless of hour of day or night. People talk about whose comfort should take precedence, but for those people, air quality can become a matter of life and death. 25 million American people or 8% of the general population currently lives with asthma. Just something else to think about when weighing what it means to be a good neighbor.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:54 AM   #122
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
At the risk of jumping into a toxic thread, nobody has mentioned the asthmatics. I've been in campgrounds in the deep south in summer, the deep south where the sultry air tends to stand perfectly still, and between the combination of camp fires and generators, there is no way that a person with asthma could possibly remain. They'd have to pack up their rigs and depart regardless of hour of day or night. People talk about whose comfort should take precedence, but for those people, air quality can become a matter of life and death. 25 million American people or 8% of the general population currently lives with asthma. Just something else to think about when weighing what it means to be a good neighbor.

Campfires maybe, but my gen meets 50 state emission standards, even CA standards. I don’t think it will make much difference, its a tiny little engine that burns in a night what my TV can burn in a few minutes.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:48 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
I know my Onan would not pass any emissions test, even in china.
It is just a old generator and when I do start it I warn campers around me.

The noise of most onboard gen sets is not as bad as the morons who bring the cheap construction generators and park it away from them but closer to you.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #124
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
I know my Onan would not pass any emissions test, even in china.
It is just a old generator and when I do start it I warn campers around me.

The noise of most onboard gen sets is not as bad as the morons who bring the cheap construction generators and park it away from them but closer to you.

I cant figure out why Onan hasn’t produced an updated inverter line to compete with higher end imported brands. Come on Cummins/Onan, you can do better!

Old 10-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #125
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I cant figure out why Onan hasn’t produced an updated inverter line to compete with higher end imported brands. Come on Cummins/Onan, you can do better!
Genrac had one and I put it in my old YelloSub it was a Impact 36G?

With minimal load you did not even know it was running, but if you put the AC online and it screamed like a banshee.
I would buy one again but they discontinued it
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:46 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
Genrac had one and I put it in my old YelloSub it was a Impact 36G?

With minimal load you did not even know it was running, but if you put the AC online and it screamed like a banshee.
I would buy one again but they discontinued it

Lol, they got it half right with regard to noise anyway.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #127
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Conroe , Texas
a practical issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Cotton View Post
OP here. NOT lurking and NOT disappearing. I naively thought RV people were laid back folk. Don't FLAME me people.

I sure am glad I prefaced my newbie question by apologizing in advance for any STUPID questions.

Thanks for the MEMO. I get it now! NO OVERNIGHT GENERATOR RUNNING. Period. Exclamation mark!

Recovering from the 4 by 4 wallop upside my head. YIKES!
I come from the boating world where running a genset all night in an anchorage is a way to get shunned in the nearest bars. In the case of boats, there is the added issue of water splashing noise from the cooling water discharge. In any case, be respectful when you make that decision.

One issue that many forget however, is that running a motor 24/7 will require a LOT of oil changes. In marine diesel generators, the norm is to change the oil every 100 hours. That translates to two oil changes a week. If you clean injectors every 500 hours, that means once a month.

Bill
wrhnco68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:55 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
We should always try to show respect, and/but respect should be a two way street.

Old 10-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
(And really, how much noise does a modern quiet generator make anyway)
Probably less than the air conditioner.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:57 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Regarding CPAP machines there are now portable ones that do run on their own batteries
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Small engines run dirty, even the California clean ones. But campfires are much much dirtier.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:11 PM   #132
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
My sister and her husband traveled to trade shows in a class A for years and stayed in the parking lot running their generator (Onan gas) all night until the morning they woke up with severe headaches, nausea, dizziness and realized the generator fumes were coming inside and they were lucky to be alive! I would be very leery of running a built-in generator while I slept!

At the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta last year we were in the back row Airstreams next to the High Dollar motor homes and several fired up their diesel generators about 4:00am in spite of a 10:00 pm generator curfew. The exhaust fumes were so bad we had to close all the windows and shut off the ceiling fans. They were nice and cool and we couldn't even open our windows.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:34 PM   #133
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
There is a device called a venturi that route fumes over the mh from the genny.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I follow the rules and customs of the place I'm visiting. If I'm boondocking...that means I'm waay out here alone and I'll do what I please, so if you show up and don't like what I'm doing.... MOVE.

Sounds like those who cannot live without life-support should avoid RV camping entirely and check into a hospital. Maybe one with an anger-management ward.

I once ran a generator all night when the campground power failed during a storm. It was hot and humid and I wanted to sleep comfortably. About 3 AM my gen stopped running and I went outside to find out why and leapt to the conclusion the nearby tent-campers had switched it off when campground power was restored. It ticked me off they didn't knock on the door and ask nicely.

Much later in the month the gen would occasionally almost shut down ...but re-gain itself before completely dying. I figured it was a carb that needed cleaning and put it off for another day.
Then one day... it refused to start at all. Short version: it was the low-oil-alert sensor had failed. Cutting that wire coming out of the crankcase sidewall cured the problem.
Now I feel badly that I thought so poorly of my tent-camping neighbors.

I have decided to become more courteous. Now I run my gen whenever and as long as I wish...... while isolated-boondocking. (I hate the sound of my own gen and don't run it unless I consider it worth the noise and fuel.)
Otherwise I follow the local rules.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #135
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Summer Heat and dust set my son's asthma attacks off. He had far fewer attacks when school began and he spent six hours a day in Air Conditioning. I couldn't afford AC when the kids were little. Everyone is different.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #136
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Small engines run dirty, even the California clean ones. But campfires are much much dirtier.

Dirty by what and whose standard?

I cant speak for other generators, my Yamaha 2,300 emits no odor whatsoever, and only burns a gallon and a quarter a night.

My TV can burn that much in 15 minutes.

I don’t think good modern generators are dirty.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:17 PM   #137
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
I follow the rules and customs of the place I'm visiting. If I'm boondocking...that means I'm waay out here alone and I'll do what I please, so if you show up and don't like what I'm doing.... MOVE.

Sounds like those who cannot live without life-support should avoid RV camping entirely and check into a hospital. Maybe one with an anger-management ward.
Wow 😳 That really is uncalled for. CPAP is not life support, but it is indeed necessary. I find it cold that you would suggest that someone with a disability should not be allowed to camp. Who exactly has the anger management problem?

I used to tent camp with my friend, she was one of my Girl Scout Co-Leaders, she used a portable CPAP. We'd curl up next to each other, I'd tease her, she made faces at me, we'd both laugh and eventually fall asleep. I with earplugs in.

What other disabilities do you have a problem with? As a disabled Veteran I'd love to hear.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #138
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Just a bit if information; what if your doctor says you got sleep apmea and you gotta wear a cpap machine to sleep. And you haven't found the combination of batteries and inverters to run that thing with out killing your battery dead by morning. And your other battery dead the next night. Dead to it won't take a charge. So you might have to run a generator at night to sleep. Hate to. Maybe some 6 volt batteries and solar panel would do the job.
I had a friend who had to sleep with a CPAP, this was in the early 2000s I think; she bought a portable one for when she went camping, it ran on it's own batteries. Go to Amazon and type portable CPAP into search and you'll find plenty of options.

And just so you know, if you have to turn on the genny to save your life, I'm in your corner.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:25 PM   #139
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Dammit spellchecker!
Genset
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #140
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
When I upgraded my CPAP I requested one with a detachable water/humidifier/heater section (Resmed S9), and l only use the blower section when camping. The heater draws more juice than the blower.

Running on 110V thru a 1000W full sine wave inverter, according to my Trimetic meter, it only draws .1 to .2 amps in use and I have no trouble with battery drain from the CPAP when boondocking.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote