Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 02:35 AM   #141
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Dirty by what and whose standard?

I cant speak for other generators, my Yamaha 2,300 emits no odor whatsoever, and only burns a gallon and a quarter a night.

My TV can burn that much in 15 minutes.

I don’t think good modern generators are dirty.
They are. It's a lawn mower engine, and produces as much CO as a car even though it sips fuel. It has no catalytic converter to reduce CO emissions. "No odor" means absolutely nothing.

Every time there's a major power outage people find this out. Generators can't be run anywhere near a building. You can't smell or see CO but it's there.

By the way, I stay in campgrounds with power for air conditioning. It the power goes out, I'm running my generator.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #142
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Running generator all night to power A/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
They are. It's a lawn mower engine, and produces as much CO as a car even though it sips fuel. It has no catalytic converter to reduce CO emissions. "No odor" means absolutely nothing.

Every time there's a major power outage people find this out. Generators can't be run anywhere near a building. You can't smell or see CO but it's there.

By the way, I stay in campgrounds with power for air conditioning. It the power goes out, I'm running my generator.

Well, yeah, if you run a generator indoors, or even stove burners in a confined area for an extended period of time you could die (carbon monoxide).

The claim that my generator makes as much carbon dioxide or carbon monoxide as my truck is not going to be factual. The generator MIGHT produce a higher percentage, but it processes a mere fraction of the volume of air.

HC and CO are products of incomplete combustion, ozone is a product of high temperature combustion, CO2 and water are products of complete combustion.

These are all products of combustion, in the setting of a camping area, the only of all of these that might practically add to a neighbors asthma will be HC contamination, which does stink and burns eyes..... my gen does not stink or burn eyes.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #143
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
When I upgraded my CPAP I requested one with a detachable water/humidifier/heater section (Resmed S9), and l only use the blower section when camping. The heater draws more juice than the blower.

Running on 110V thru a 1000W full sine wave inverter, according to my Trimetic meter, it only draws .1 to .2 amps in use and I have no trouble with battery drain from the CPAP when boondocking.
Hi

I strongly recommend you check the wiring on your Trimetic, Those numbers are not correct.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #144
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrhnco68 View Post
I come from the boating world where running a genset all night in an anchorage is a way to get shunned in the nearest bars. In the case of boats, there is the added issue of water splashing noise from the cooling water discharge. In any case, be respectful when you make that decision.

One issue that many forget however, is that running a motor 24/7 will require a LOT of oil changes. In marine diesel generators, the norm is to change the oil every 100 hours. That translates to two oil changes a week. If you clean injectors every 500 hours, that means once a month.

Bill
Not to be argumentative but. I have been boating in Florida for the last 30 years. During the hot months when it stays in the upper 80 at night with high humidity, we all run our gen sets all night and no one gives a hoot. With the cabin closed up all you hear is your own. On longer cruises we run the suckers around the clock to keep the beer and stakes cold.
This entire discussion on generator use has become overblown. When you need to use your generator conditions are such that other people have to use theirs as well. And like with everything else you will always be dealing with the oddball self centered individual throughout your life.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #145
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Well, yeah, if you run a generator indoors, or even stove burners in a confined area for an extended period of time you could die (carbon monoxide).

The claim that my generator makes as much carbon dioxide or carbon monoxide as my truck is not going to be factual. The generator MIGHT produce a higher percentage, but it processes a mere fraction of the volume of air.

HC and CO are products of incomplete combustion, ozone is a product of high temperature combustion, CO2 and water are products of complete combustion.

These are all products of combustion, in the setting of a camping area, the only of all of these that might practically add to a neighbors asthma will be HC contamination, which does stink and burns eyes..... my gen does not stink or burn eyes.
Well, as I've often said...do what you want. We'll bring the rig and the O2.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #146
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Well, as I've often said...do what you want. We'll bring the rig and the O2.

Maybe a bit of undue drama? Look, it is my desire to not be an ahole to my neighbors, whether they are at my house or on the road, I do mostly “interstate boondocking” at Lowes, but it is my opinion that circumstances dictate the response.

If its 100 degrees at 10 PM, I don’t think it is unreasonable to run a quiet modern generator. Now, if the hard rules preclude this use I wont use it, but I probably wont stay another similar night.

If it isn’t against the rules, well, at a hundred degrees at night, I am probably going to run my quiet generator in a manner that is as civil to my neighbors as possible. If thats a problem for one or more of them, well, tough cookies...

Old 10-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #147
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Thats just my take. What is “reasonable” is not blind to the current reality and circumstance. It just isn’t.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #148
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thought the catalytic converter is used to reduce nitrous oxides, not CO.

I have never fully understood the 70's mentality of increasing fuel consumption to "lower" possibly one type of pollution? My take is that the much hated VW diesel that got 50 mpg was probably environmentally better than the gas engines that replaced it.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #149
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Thought the catalytic converter is used to reduce nitrous oxides, not CO.

I have never fully understood the 70's mentality of increasing fuel consumption to "lower" possibly one type of pollution? My take is that the much hated VW diesel that got 50 mpg was probably environmentally better than the gas engines that replaced it.

I agree about VW.

It is my understanding that Catalytic converters have no affect on ozone, HCs only.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Wow �� That really is uncalled for. CPAP is not life support, but it is indeed necessary. I find it cold that you would suggest that someone with a disability should not be allowed to camp. Who exactly has the anger management problem?

I used to tent camp with my friend, she was one of my Girl Scout Co-Leaders, she used a portable CPAP. We'd curl up next to each other, I'd tease her, she made faces at me, we'd both laugh and eventually fall asleep. I with earplugs in.

What other disabilities do you have a problem with? As a disabled Veteran I'd love to hear.
Perhaps my sarcasm wasn't clear. I'm a SUPPORTER of generator-useage if you've read the rest of my message. If you need it.... Use it! I completely understand.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:10 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
I'm good with running generators. I like steak, gas hogs and big V8s. And I have to have a perfect 68 degrees F when it's hot out. Just don't kid yourself thinking the modern ones are "green".

If the power goes out I do what I gotta do. Gotta have that AC.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #152
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Running generator all night to power A/C

Quote:
I'm good with running generators. I like steak, gas hogs and big V8s. And I have to have a perfect 68 degrees F when it's hot out. Just don't kid yourself thinking the modern ones are "green".

They are green enough for me and just about any other reasonable person.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 PM   #153
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:

It’s easy to make fun from downriver Detroit...

Old 10-19-2017, 01:30 AM   #154
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

I strongly recommend you check the wiring on your Trimetic, Those numbers are not correct.

Bob
You're right, I forgot it was on shore power float charge so I rechecked usage with power off in both trailers and the 28' definitely reads too low. I just changed the shunt and inverter so will need to re-check wiring and programming.

I do trust the readings in the 20' trailer which has: 74AH battery, 450W MSW inverter, Trimetic meter, 100A shunt and those were: latent load .6A, latent and inverter with no load 1.0A, CPAP, latent and inverter in use 1.3A to 1.5A.

This would indicate the CPAP alone which is just the blower section is drawing .3 to .5 amps and CPAP with the inverter is drawing .7A to .9A.

When boondocking when the above meter/inverter setup was in the 28' using the CPAP overnight, I was surprised to see the batteries (220AH) were at 96%. Overnight using CPAP and the trailer furnace (early winter) they were at 83%. Voltages were consistent with the % readings.

To get back to the thread topic, I do have a 3400W inverter generator and will not run it if anyone is near me unless that is the approved plan. One of the units we are affiliated with has a boondocking campout in a couple of weeks and generators are not only encouraged, but, shared with those that don't have them.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote