Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2017, 10:51 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
So, the people in the big class A had to be;

A. Stupid
B. A-holes -or-
C. Both

I think it was simple laziness. The guy didn't want to drag his butt out to handle the 50 AMP cable. Easier to flip a couple switches inside, plop down on the couch and continue watching TV.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #102
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Can the neighbors running load AC's in their own RV's really here any generator ?
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Noise pollution
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #104
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Where appropriate, use your gender. At Walmart, park away from the store... Where there are others, see what they do. Often overnight Parker's will group together and use their generators.
It's all a matter of good taste and respect for others.
Certainly one would not run one in a forest with others within earshot, not at a campground with power available.
All very simple!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Where appropriate, use your gender.
Okay!
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Okay!
Be careful. Most Walmarts parking lots have cameras.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Be careful. Most Walmarts parking lots have cameras.

Wallmarts are too damn busy, (albeit entertaining at night) but we prefer Lowe’s.....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #108
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Safe to run the genny all night? We have a different Airstream so I am unable to answer that question. We live and travel in the southwest where summer temps have risen greatly due to climate change, 90 to over 100 beginning in June now. Currently it's October, I sleep nude and I'm still kicking the blanket off because of the heat. Heat makes it nearly impossible to sleep and this is in our house. Our bodies were designed to sleep best at 70 degress or less.

In our Airstream, it quickly heats up inside even when under the trees. When we visit Texas and park in our usual RV park, we are running the AC 24/7, and if we have to run two AC units, then we run the genny. San Antonio temps break over 105 degrees from May to October or November. So AC is just a way of life there. Every RV was running their genny for AC. This summer we went to Idaho August through September 15th. We used AC every single day and almost every single night. So was everyone else.

I think maybe we who live in hotter climates best understand why AC is so Necessary in an Airstream or RV of any SOB. I don't actually like AC much. I don't have it in my house, I love the cool air, but I hate the closed in feeling, no fresh air at all. It wasn't until 2014 that I first felt it was hot enough for AC. I had the Air Conditioner up until last year, and then I asked Chris to please put it in the attic. So now that you know that about me, you'll understand just how hot it has to be, for me to consent to a totally closed up Airstream with no fresh air.

We have never had a word said to us about it by anyone anywhere. I think it's pretty much the norm in all the places we go. We don't use it all night when we might run out of gas. The problem would not be worth the comfort. Chris knows roughly how much gas the genny uses per hour.

I realize that I am holding a different view. I'm not sorry to be different, I've been different all my life. I decided to write this in support of all those who are different, have different views, and/or live differently. We were never created to be clones.

Peace out
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
When it's hot it's hot. All bets off when it becomes unbearable. I though have been camping when it's beautiful outside and temps bearable with a nice Breeze and low humidity and had neighbors not come out of there bus with drapes drawn and onboard Ginny running 24/7. Only to ruin others time there to enjoy the outdoors.
But I do enjoy quite and many don't care a bit.

Alan
Old 10-13-2017, 10:00 PM   #110
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
I'm in Tucson right now plugged into a 15 amp in a driveway. I ain't got one of those easy start devices, so no ac for me. It was 95 today. About 80 right now. Fans are doin their job. No generator needed. I'll take this over winterizin!
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Just a bit if information; what if your doctor says you got sleep apmea and you gotta wear a cpap machine to sleep. And you haven't found the combination of batteries and inverters to run that thing with out killing your battery dead by morning. And your other battery dead the next night. Dead to it won't take a charge. So you might have to run a generator at night to sleep. Hate to. Maybe some 6 volt batteries and solar panel would do the job.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:39 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York

Its not so much I HATE the noise, it is that I am a light sleeper and as some people enjoy the luxury of their generator running during sleeping hours, many of the rest of us endure the noise of their luxury and are less than bright eyed & friendly in the morning.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:09 AM   #113
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
Just a bit if information; what if your doctor says you got sleep apmea and you gotta wear a cpap machine to sleep. And you haven't found the combination of batteries and inverters to run that thing with out killing your battery dead by morning. And your other battery dead the next night. Dead to it won't take a charge. So you might have to run a generator at night to sleep. Hate to. Maybe some 6 volt batteries and solar panel would do the job.
Hi

There are CPAP machines that will run all night directly on 12V and not come close to flattening normal house batteries. To the extend that 6V batteries have an edge, it's only in certain cases and by about 10% capacity.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaGeo View Post
I don't believe the solar panels will be much help after sunset :-)
Old 10-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post

Its not so much I HATE the noise, it is that I am a light sleeper and as some people enjoy the luxury of their generator running during sleeping hours, many of the rest of us endure the noise of their luxury and are less than bright eyed & friendly in the morning.

Me thinks you should run your generator every night until you get accustomed to the sound and it will not bother you anymore. You know like people living next railroad tracks. Its called conditioning :-)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:05 AM   #116
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Its like this. Person A is a light sleeper, person B cant sleep when his Airstream is heat soaked to 105 degrees.....

Which person’s sleep has precedence?

(And really, how much noise does a modern quiet generator make anyway)

Old 10-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #117
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
“(And really, how much noise does a modern quiet generator make anyway)”
A Red 2000 runs at 59dB. A bird song is 44dB and a quiet rural area is 30 dB. (Bear in mind that the dB scale is not linear, but logarithmic.)
Old 10-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #118
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
“(And really, how much noise does a modern quiet generator make anyway)”
A Red 2000 runs at 59dB. A bird song is 44dB and a quiet rural area is 30 dB. (Bear in mind that the dB scale is not linear, but logarithmic.)

The question was kinda rhetorical, but at what distance is a birdsong heard at 44dB?

Now, I am not a youngster with super hearing, but to even hear my generator running in my tailgate up pickup bed Friday night I had to be within 40 or 50 feet.

Old 10-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Its like this. Person A is a light sleeper, person B cant sleep when his Airstream is heat soaked to 105 degrees.....

Which person’s sleep has precedence?

(And really, how much noise does a modern quiet generator make anyway)
Move camper to cooler climate.

Alan
Old 10-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #120
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
Move camper to cooler climate.

There are lines that should be recognized by humans engaging in just about any activity, thats why I sprung for a QUIET generator. If I am uncomfortable, I am going to use it, with due discretion of course.