RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #41
Site Team

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Another reminder: that Onan is much louder than a Honda inverter generator. Motor home generator loud. Yikes.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
I read these forums every day. I find your responses to be very informational. I enjoy reading your writings. Thanks for being a voice of reason and knowledge on this forum.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:53 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Buhl , Idaho
Apparently none of you need oxygen at night - I do. I sleep with my generator running all night when boondocking. Its a Honda 2000i and run on quiet so no one has complained, ever. Its quiet and you can have a conversation standing next to it. So, I run it, I breath and, since no one has complained, it works for me. Just remember, those of you who swear it has to be quiet so we can sleep - you live in the city - most of you - and, since we are on the farm, just being in the city is noisy!!!

Ray Hoem
goodshepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I was at a state park not too long ago and a 5er that had been running a loud commercial generator all day and night woke up to cut fuel lines. After the cops left he packed up and departed the area. The park had quite hours from 10 to 10. The management had little sympathy for him. Some have zero consideration for others and occasionally need a strong reminder to do the right thing.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:34 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I was at a state park not too long ago and a 5er that had been running a loud commercial generator all day and night woke up to cut fuel lines. After the cops left he packed up and departed the area. The park had quite hours from 10 to 10. The management had little sympathy for him. Some have zero consideration for others and occasionally need a strong reminder to do the right thing.
Must've been a brave soul to cut those lines. Too bad he wasn't brave enough to knock on the door. Do that to the wrong person and it might end up badly.

That's why I have cameras on my stuff.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #46
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Nothing worse than a vandal....
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
Nothing worse than a vandal....
Nope, where I live they're caught and prosecuted. If they're lucky.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Reminder to all, the OP has a 2011 Airstream Avenue class B motorhome, with an on-board gasoline-fueled generator tucked up underneath. It's a little bit different having an on-board generator throbbing away under the bed when compared to setting a portable generator away from the vehicle at the limit of a shore power cable, both in terms of noise values and in terms of safety.
Thanks Protagonist! This is an example of the 'THICK Skull' aspect I have to work with, at times.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:17 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
If “that guy” is about everyone getting the most from their day, being polite and flexible in reasonable two way street accommodation, while not embracing unreasonable demands then count me as “that guy”.

Sorry, but lying down is sweat soaked sheets is not my idea of enjoyable camping....

Yeah, there are caveats, quiet generator, not right on top of neighbors, but blanket demands for no overnight generator use is not a reasonable position in my view, and not as cut and dry as a few posters here would like it to be.

We should all strive to be reasonable and prudent in dealing with our neighbors at home an on the road, while knowing full well that the squeakiest wheel is not always right.

Genaratorialy, speaking when you need to run your generator so are others. So there will be a bunch of bees humming. So what's the beef ? I run my generator when I need it and in places and times it's allowed. That's elementary and I don't need to be lectured on the subject.
As to safety as the OP asked if you run it outside no problem. Let it rip.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #50
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
That's elementary and I don't need to be lectured on the subject.
I do not believe that anybody on this thread is trying to lecture you. I personally never had you in mind when I made any of my posts so far.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:05 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Reminder to all, the OP has a 2011 Airstream Avenue class B motorhome, with an on-board gasoline-fueled generator tucked up underneath. It's a little bit different having an on-board generator throbbing away under the bed when compared to setting a portable generator away from the vehicle at the limit of a shore power cable, both in terms of noise values and in terms of safety.

A person who owns one of these motorhomes with onboard generators could buy and use a portable generator if they wanted.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:31 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
People Of Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRH View Post
So, is a generator at night at Walmart acceptable or offensive?
Everything is permissible in or near a Walmart. The normal rules and standards that define "offensive" are waived there. For proof, visit http://www.peopleofwalmart.com
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:00 AM   #53
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well this is a lively conversation, ha!

I don't carry a generator and I rarely have neighbors but if I do end up with a neighbor and they also have a generator.... it usually ain't fun. Just sayin.

Course, I am apparently one of the few humans that was blessed with the ability to remain comfortable in temps over 75.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #54
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
A person who owns one of these motorhomes with onboard generators could buy and use a portable generator if they wanted.
Carrying it around without a pickup bed to put it in could be problematic, especially since carrying either gas cans or portable propane cylinders inside the van to fuel it would not be a good idea…
Old 10-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Well this is a lively conversation, ha!

I don't carry a generator and I rarely have neighbors but if I do end up with a neighbor and they also have a generator.... it usually ain't fun. Just sayin.

Course, I am apparently one of the few humans that was blessed with the ability to remain comfortable in temps over 75.

If you have a neighbor over 100 feet away with a quiet generator, you might have to work at hearing it running.

How much over 75?

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
IF you must run a generator, then take reasonable measures to help your neighbors.
First, don't bring the construction generator from the job site. period.
Then, using your inverter generator, you'll be amazed how little things make a big difference. Place the generator so your trailer is between you and your neighbor. I was always amazed how generator people put the generator as far as their cord would go ..from themselves!
Barrier. Even leaning a sheet of plywood against the generator makes a big difference. Take the time to make a three sided baffle that you can put around the generator. Put sound absorbing materials on it. You don't need to be an engineer, anything is better than nothing.
Lastly, if you feel you must have it cold, ask for the farthest spot in the campground. Get yourself away from people who may not like your choice.
I must say, if you have an inverter generator like a Honda or (?) I can't believe it offends people INSIDE their RV if reasonable steps are taken.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #57
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Running generator all night to power A/C

Quote:
If you have a neighbor over 100 feet away with a quiet generator, you might have to work at hearing it running.

How much over 75?

I'm good up to about 100-105. I needed ac when it hit 118 in Kansas but I just found a quiet park with electric.

I grew up in Virginia without ac and spent many summers near Tucson Arizona in a trailer with just a swamp cooler. Apparently, I adapted. Who knows, maybe without all that ac y'all would too! Course maybe not.

But I personally will take heat over cold any day!
Old 10-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
I do not believe that anybody on this thread is trying to lecture you. I personally never had you in mind when I made any of my posts so far.

I must have a comprehension issue . The majority of the posts here were lecturing at large. Don't do this or that, you better not offend, you should, I suggest, not safe, if the fumes don't kill you your neighbor will on and on.etc.etc. If that is not lecturing I don't know what is ?

I have a large construction generator at home because at time the electricity will go out for several days at a time. I run that sucker around the clock for days. Reading some of posts here makes me scared just looking at that thing now. It isn't a quite Honda inverter generator, it is gasoline driven and I run it between my and the neighbors house. All the things I shouldn't be doing according to most of the posts here. I used to run our diesel dewatering generators on our constructions sites 24/7 for 30 days sometimes and no one ever died being around it.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #59
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
I must have a comprehension issue.
I thought we established that a while ago.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
I have a large construction generator at home because at time the electricity will go out for several days at a time. I run that sucker around the clock for days.
Neighbors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eeb9fa1d2e31d0efd9fb7003ad0b35bd.png
Views:	64
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	296497  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote