Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
RG 6 or RG 59 -- which do you suppose I have?

Have now Dish Network at home and as someone on here told me, if I were to ask the tech/installer, he might give me a dish. He did with LNB......

I gave him a VCR.

What do you think my trailer is wired with--6 or 59??? RG6 is preferable, I guess.

For my house it was important that it be RG 6 because with RG 59 you get "deterioration" of the signals back-and-forth between the dish and the receiver--tech told me that--this is all new to me.

I hope that I don't have to drill a hole through the floor under the corner credenza for RG 6.....however, this might be simpler than my trying to change or bypass the booster.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I wouldn't worry about it with a short run unless your HD Wide Screen TV with BOSE 5.1 channel sound system seems not up to par. If you use a ground stand for the dish then you can use the better cable from your AS to the dish. How are you going to find the bird?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 11:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I would venture a guess that the factory uses RG 59 mostly because it is eaiser to work with & less expensive. If you feel adventurous you could open the wall jack & see the coax for yourself.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thanks fellows.... I have a 19", 17-year-old TV well, it is color......

OK, I won't worry.

Kistler
Old 09-25-2004, 05:37 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
You can run the dishes on the RG-59. While not 'ideal', it does work. I have done that at home and in the RV. Worst case, get a flat cable and run it through a window. I'd use the existing RG-59.

It wouldn't surprise me to start seeing RV's with RG-6 in them. When you buy in bulk, it's not that much more expensive.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
OK, sorta get it here. even thought I paid $2000 a foot Airstream probably took the cheap way in production.

I am now thinking of running a line just for the dish behind the credenza through the refigierator compartment and into the back compartment....problem is the shower is in the way....but it hasa bench....do any of you have experience with this?

In the bathroom I can see no isulation under the vanity???? I am getting a little negative about Airstream construction.....however, this would be a little late the thing is paid for.

Kistler
Old 09-26-2004, 08:09 AM   #7
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
cable-guy tells me that my reception problem with certain channels (not all...just the good ones )in our new digital cable service, is due to the fact that I have rg-59 in the walls, and that I need to re-run it with rg-6. the digital cable requires rg-6. I had direct-tv service for a while, and there is an RG-6 cable that terminates near the tv, but I have to go up into the attic, cut the cable that goes out to the roof to the old dish, connect that to the cable junction up there, and switch my tv over to that line. its on my list....

When the dish was installed, the installers said that it required rg-6, as well..so that's why its there. but perhaps the length of the "run" has something to do with it.

meanwhile...I got one of those "flat-wire" thingies to hang out the window of the camper, and it survived for about a half-dozen uses. I never thought it would work that well. It turned out to work better than I thought, but it just doesn't hold up being pinched in the window like that. coaxial cable works because its "round"...the conductor and the shield are seperated at a specific distance, and so forth....its not just a "rugged" looking length of copper, which is essentially what the flat-wire thingie turns it into. anyway, using this thing, I got alot of interferance, and a generally crappy picture. Once I installed a proper run of cable from the new jack/signal amplifier, its clear as a bell.

(there were no allowances for "cable tv" in my old 73 camper. I wound up runing a cable down behind the fridge, out the open vent in the belly pan, and accross the trailer to the street-side. the cable is attached to the belly pan with cable-clamps, screwed to the sheet metal.)
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 06:55 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler

I hope that I don't have to drill a hole through the floor under the corner credenza for RG 6.....however, this might be simpler than my trying to change or bypass the booster.
In my TT the credenza is located beside the refrig. I opened the exterior refrig access door and drilled a hole on the left side into the credenza.
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote