Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 11:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Revision to existing system

Looking for feedback on a change I plan to make to my existing electrical. I built this a few years ago following a thread by Troutboy and some input from AM Solar, where I bought all the components.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AM Solar Towable Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	372057

I have 2 160aH Victron Lithiums and 4 100 Watt solar panels. The MPPT and BMV have been upgraded to Smart versions for access through the phone app.

I had a couple glitches with the Multiplus charging and started researching a fix. In that process I saw that Victron had made what I considered a large change. They went from controls (charging and discharge) from the negative side to placing most control on the positive side. The BMV and shunt on the negative side are still used.

I decided to make this change and wanted a review to make sure I didn't miss something. The new diagram is broken into three pages and are oriented from front to back of the trailer.

Name:	Wiring Diagram Version 1 June 2020 page 1.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	372058

Name:	Wiring Diagram Version 1 June 2020 page 2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	372059

Name:	Wiring Diagram Version 1 June 2020 page 3.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	372060

The numbered arrows connect wiring from one page to another.

Basically I'm removing the BMS 12-100 (not the Smart version) and it's relay, solenoid and temporary bypass. I'm adding in the VE Bus BMS with Mains Detector and using Battery Protects as the disconnects, with the appropriate wiring changes.

I thought about adding a 120 Volt bypass between the shore power AC IN to the Multiplus and the AC Main Breaker on the DC/AC breakers so I could use shore power on all the AC inverter circuits and leave the Multiplus off so no charging could occur. This was over concerns about setting the Multiplus charging settings to gain 100% charge, but on occasion wanting to leave the batteries below 100%. Based on the idea that Lithiums will have a longer life it not charged to 100% all the time. Whether that theory is sound I don't have the electrical knowledge base to know. I brought this issue of the bypass up with Peter at PKYS and he reminded me the Multi Control GX could be dialed down to zero and that should accomplish the same thing. I'll find out if he's right (I assume he is, but until I try it I'll wonder.)

I look forward to your thoughts.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote