Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Shoreline , Washington
Reverse lights stuck on. Jack wont work

Ok, so I've got one that has me stratching my head. I have a 1977 Argosy 24. I put her in storage about 3 weeks ago and when I dropped her off the jack magically stopped working. No power -- nothing. I figured it was a blown fuse and I'd fix it when I picked her up.

So today I picked her up and the jack still isn't working, but what's worse is when I plug it into 110v the reverse lights are stuck on?!?! As far as I can tell no other functions are broken. The pump works, the lights work, tail lights, stop lihgts, outlets, etc. However, the tongue jack still doesn't work and the reverse lights are shinning bright!

All the fuses are in tact.

Any ideas?

I did just replace both batteries but I took the rig out for a 2 night stay and she performed flawlessly during that time. I don't see how the batteries could cause this but I'm no expert.

Any ideas or assistance is greatly appreciated. Headed out Tuesday afternoon and I need to get this fixed.

Thanks!

Pat
Under The Banyan Trees w/Steely Dan
https://www.banyantrees.net
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
StAlphonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
First, check for power to the jack. That's easy to do, the power wire is right there on the jack.It could be the switch on the jack. Then, check the umbilical plug for the tow vehicle, it is possible you have a couple of wires touching inside it.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
the two are probably not related,for b/ups check that pin in plug is not pushed back into housing making contact with charge line in plug. for jack check for batt power to jack (grounds via mounting bolts) if power going in,most tongue jacks have an internal auto breaker which may be open or back to a bad switch.
I'm assuming you still have original round pin plug?
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
wiring

hi I'll second what overlander63 said, based on my own shorting out of terminals inside my old original umbilical. Take off the cover of all the connecting plugs and make sure adjacent terminals are not touching- there is quite a bit of wiring crammed into the old connectors and things can loosen up. I used some thin rubber, and electrical tape, to insulate between things. A new plug might be in order. -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote