Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
South Shore , Massachusetts
Replacing Interstate Deep Cycle

Will I cause any damage to either my truck or the trailer if I simply replace my 12v Deep Cycle Interstate battery with a 12v 100Ah Lithium battery?
Old 12-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by breton View Post
Will I cause any damage to either my truck or the trailer if I simply replace my 12v Deep Cycle Interstate battery with a 12v 100Ah Lithium battery?
I believe the charging system/rate is different. Someone will explain.
I also look to replace my flooded wet cells, and the Interstates have served me well. However, Interstate Battery has been sold to a Canadian company and the supplier will change.
Here we go again.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I called Airstream dealer and you can replace the wet cells with AGMS, but Lithiums require a different inverter: at least on my Airstream. Not sure on newer ones. My present Interstate wet cells have lasted for awhile (4.5 years). I replaced originals with new and maintained them well. When time comes I probably will replace with AGM’s. Just don’t want to spend the nearly $4,000 to put in Lithiums (batteries, inverter, etc). I think if I was a dedicated boondocker I can see Lithiums. But I have a generator for those instances which aren’t that many (Cost/Benefit Analysis).
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 25' Classic
Antsville , FUBAR
No damage to our AS or TV.

I installed our two BB lithiums in the middle of 2018.
Used them with the same IOTA charger that I had used for our AGM Lifelines until the middle of '19, when I upgraded the converter/charger to a Lithium compatible 60A Boondocker.

You will need to up-grade the converter to get all the benefits from the Lithiums, best to plan ahead for it.

Bob
🇺🇸
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
Battery Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by breton View Post
I switched my wet cell Interstate batteries with AGM batteries. So far, really good.
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Many of us have replaced the OEM Interstates with "other" batteries. AGM's are more expensive and over rated, IMHO...they actually will not last as long as flooded cell batteries that are properly maintained. Benefit is not needing to service them...not an issue to check and add water couple times a year, as needed...again, IMHO. I moved to the Trojan 6V T105's 4 years ago and have been very happy with the service. I check water levels and fill maybe twice a year. Better overall service then the 12V's I have had in the past. I did replace my converter with Boondocker 4 stage converter 4 years ago. The 2018 and newer AS's all have 3 stage converters now, so don't see anyone complaining about the converter boiling out their 12V Interstates anymore...

LI is still the "talk of the Forum" and folks who have made the switch seem very happy; get a solar panel or 2, change out the converter if needed, and plunk down some money on the LI's, along with associated monitoring gauges and your done with that battery issues for life, as I see it! For now, the 6V Trojans are working out for our needs. I do carry the Honda 2200 propane generator for backup and I do use a GoPower 80W solar portable suitcase which we use when boondocking. Easy to get carried away with purchasing/installing the best of everything...only to find out you don't really use/need it when you reflect back on your trips!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Depends :-)

If you simply exchange one for the other you will not be happy the the results.

Do your research on lithium (YouTube DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse is a good start)

You will have to upgrade the Convert/charger in the AS to go lithium

If you want to change from TV you will require a DC-DC Convert to control the power transfer between the truck battery change system and the AS or pull the change fuse in the TV and install a solar panel to maintain the AS battery when not connected to AC power.

There are a lot of post on this topic simply search the forum site
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
Back to original question…

Breton: Your question was whether placing a Lithium Ion battery where a lead/acid used to be would damage your truck or trailer. The answer is no. It will not damage your truck or trailer.

The deeper answer is that it also won’t deliver the rated capacity (e.g. 100 amp hours) because neither your truck nor OEM converter in the Airstream delivers enough voltage to fully charge a lithium ion battery.

That’s why a typical upgrade from lead/acid to lithium ion includes an upgraded converter and frequently a new solar controller if you charge from panels and/or a DC/DC transformer if you want to boost your truck’s charging voltage (typically 13.4 v) to what the lithiums need (typically 14.5-ish).

The inverter (the thing that turns 12 volt DC power into 120 v AC to run household appliances) doesn’t typically have to be replaced owing to a lithium upgrade.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
South Shore , Massachusetts
the reason I was asking

is that I replaced my dometic propane fridge that crapped out with an isotherm ac/dc. I only need the DC to operate for 1 night while traveling. Nothing else will be on in the trailer just the fridge. My existing Interstate is rated 81Ah and I expect to use less than 1/2 of that running the fridge for 1 night. Fridge uses 418W in 24 hours but I installed the ITC which is an energy saving digital control so I am figuring the fridge will use less than 30Ah overnight. Thanks to everyone I learned a lot about lithium and agm batteries for future reference.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:46 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First off, an inverter turns 12V into 120V. You do *not* have to do anything with it when playing with lithium batteries. A CONVERTER is what turns 120V into 12V. That is what changes with a proper lithium upgrade.

Will a straight swap out damage anything? Nope, it all will work. Nothing in the truck or trailer will be fried in the process. Your lithiums will die fairly quickly, but they are not (now) part of either the truck or trailer. If you don't swap out the converter, they will not equalize properly. They will die as a result.

Given that the converter is a short lived device (at least the stock unit is), spending $200 to replace it isn't that big a deal. You will spend > $800 on a pair of Lithiums ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

First off, an inverter turns 12V into 120V. You do *not* have to do anything with it when playing with lithium batteries. A CONVERTER is what turns 120V into 12V. That is what changes with a proper lithium upgrade.

Will a straight swap out damage anything? Nope, it all will work. Nothing in the truck or trailer will be fried in the process. Your lithiums will die fairly quickly, but they are not (now) part of either the truck or trailer. If you don't swap out the converter, they will not equalize properly. They will die as a result.

Given that the converter is a short lived device (at least the stock unit is), spending $200 to replace it isn't that big a deal. You will spend > $800 on a pair of Lithiums ....

Bob
UB- think he may have only one battery in that 22'? If so, investing in "1" Lithium and a new multistage converter to charge the Li, to me does not make sense? I would suggest looking at getting 2 Li's, the converter, and associated wiring/solar/etc...only if he is going to use his AS "a lot" to justify the expense..but, thats just my 2 cents here.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote