We've had some electrical issues over the years on the '79 sovereign
, which I've addressed by
- buying a new univolt when the first one died
- replacing fuses when they blew out
- reducing the electrical load on the 15A GFI breaker which seems to be responsible for all electrical outlets & the univolt).
This last one, however, is getting weird -- specifically, the breaker trips even when there's basically nothing on (some but not all 12V
lights, a laptop). (I'm not sure, but it's possible the fridge is also on the same circuit).
I heard a rumor that GFI breakers get weaker the more they trip. If that's true, after 30 years, that would explain why this breaker's got a hair trigger.
1) Is there any truth to that rumor?
2) If it's a reasonable idea to replace the breaker, where can I find one? Home Depot had nothing that looked like these (see pix). The box is labeled GE.