Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2003, 09:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Replacement Battery

Hi Everyone

The consensus is that I am toast on the dry battery although I will give it a little time and a test to make sure.

But I was wondering, I have heard good things about the six-volt deep cycle golf cart batteries. If I go with a six-volt, do I have to be aware of anything in particular when moving from a 12-volt? Is it a simple swap out or do I have to take some conversion steps—like having two 6 volts installed, etc.?

Thanks,

Carl
heyskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2003, 09:48 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Carl,

In order to go the 6 Volt route you will need to install 2 batteries to get the 12 VDC that is necessary to run stuff. This requres additional thought as the 6 Volts tend to weigh more than the 12 Volts and your trailer may not be set up for the additional weight.

The benifit is typically longer life, and you can gain more amp hours based on the size of the batteries that you install.

Roadkingmoe has all of the facts and figures, and can shed a ton of light on this issue.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 06:35 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've had nothing but great luck with 12v deep cycle batteries. Been using them since the 70's.

Today, there are more bells and whistles in our RVs than was the case in the 70s. However, our newer A/S have 2 deep cycle 12v batteries. Even the Bambi. Plus, if maintained, they can last many years and provide fantastic results even with the extra demand of the extra gear.

Just my .02

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 10:50 AM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
lots of info

You might want to put "deep cycle battery/ies" into the search box and read the many posts regarding same. Get lots of info that way. We too looked at 6 volt, but required changes to battery compartment (because of size) so went with 12v deep cycle. Leigh
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 03:53 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks

Cool! Thanks you Guys on the advice.

Take Care,

Carl Jackson
heyskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 05:09 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Eric wrote.....

Quote:
However, our newer A/S have 2 deep cycle 12v batteries. Even the Bambi.
Hey Eric, do I understand you to say your Bambi has two 12 volt batteries? Mine has one. Did yours come from factory with two? Or did you add one? If so, how and where?
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 01:08 PM   #7
Finally Retired

, Washington
We just repkaced ours with another set of Interstate Workaholics. We got six years on the other set can't beat that I'd say
Finally Retired
LKappenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 03:08 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Silvertwinkie

I am still wondering if your Bambi reaqlly has two 12 volt batteries, and where they are. I'd like to add one to my 2001 Bambi, which only has one.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 03:15 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Rick,

Sorry, I must have missed the thread on the re-post.

Yes, my '03 Bambi has two 12 volt deep cycle batteries that came from the factory that way.

There is a box behind the LP tanks that was welded to the "A" frame in front. The box has a door with a non-locking latch (which could be converted if desired). Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll be happy to send you some pictures of what it looks like.

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-31-2003, 07:57 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
All,

I got a good bit of requests for the pictures of the optional factory installed dual battery compartment on my '03 Bambi. So to make life easier for all, I posted the pics to my photo gallery. Simply click the photo button under this post to view.

Anyone that still wants them sent to them, I'd be happy to send them on as well.

Regards,

Eric
Old 03-31-2003, 08:27 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Thanks for the pics Eric. My Sovereign has a small battery compartment that will hold only one battery, and I have been trying to figure out how to add another one. I suppose I could have a box welded on the tongue and add another battery. Hopefully someone on the forum has done that and can give me some advice on what would be required to do it. I assume it would only require running cables to the additional battery but when I assume something I generally wind up feeling like the first three letters of the word assume.

Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 08:34 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Wayne,

Although I have never done it, if you can find the box and someone to weld it up, that is the hardest part I would think. The rest seems pretty easy to me.

Good luck with the mod. If there is anything else I can post or answer regarding the dual box, please let me know.

Eric
Old 03-31-2003, 09:22 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to cljackson Send a message via Yahoo to cljackson
Batteries & Inverters

Well, thanks to everyone for the replies to Carl's posts about the battery. We decided on a little trip a few weeks ago, so Carl hooked up the Safari to the pickup, so the fridge could cool down. A few hours later, we loaded up ready to head out, and you guessed it...the truck battery was dead. Fortunately, it happened in front of the house, so he gave it a jump from my little car and we were on our way. Stopped and bought a deep-cycle marine battery on the way to the campground. Now, I have a question... When we're connected to shore power at a park, should our inverter be running? It seems to come on at fairly regular intervals, so I was just wondering if this was normal, as it seems like there shouldn't be any pull on the battery if we're connected to park power. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm still trying to understand how all this stuff works!

Thanks,
Cheryl Jackson
Montgomery, TX
'99 Safari 25'
'03 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Attached Images

cljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
An inverter changes 12VDC battery power to 120VAC household power to operate household appliances when boondocking. They don't come standard in most travel trailers.

A converter changes 120VAC "park" power to 12VDC battery power to both charge the batteries, AND operate all the 12VDC appliances in the trailer like lights, water pump, vent fans, radio, furnace controls and fan, refrigerator when on gas, refrigerator climate control (i.e. heating coils around the door that prevent condensation) etc.

Your converter may have a temperature controlled fan that you're hearing go on and off, but the converter is on all the time when you're plugged into "park" power.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:37 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
On my '03, I've only heard the fan once, but I know that the converter is running all the time since right now, it's plugged into the garage A/C power circuit right now.

I guess depending on how much draw can activate the fan. I did have everything on before I drove off with it.

Eric
Old 04-01-2003, 07:48 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Silverttwinke

Great pics of the Bambi--We have what I call a 02-03 hybird. Lucky for us, without knowing, we purchased a model shortly AFTER they changed the black water tank to 18 gallon. We didn't however get the dual batt thing, but then you can't win them all. I do have some questions regarding your post. Seen the new versions at a Trailer show this winter. Not much different, liked the side electrical disconnect ,seem to be an improvement.I'd like to know where & when do you hear a fan running on your converter ? I was under the impression that the converter did not have a fan & I haven't heard one? Perhaps the 03 has a different set-up due to the dual batt. I'm under the impression that the converter has a step down batt charging system, which will not boil the batt dry. Also in one of your pics I see where you may have bolted on a friction sway bar? If so, how do you like it? I have had a terrible time trying to get the right owners manual from A/S. The one on-line appears to have the best one yet.appreciate any info regarding the batt set-up.

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:08 PM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
The converter has a built in fan that will turn on dependent upon the air temperature in the converter unit. The heat is generated in the conversion process from 110 volts to 12. Heat load is dependent upon the air temperature within the trailer and the number of 12 volt appliances you have turned on. Using battery power without a 110 volt source will not generate much heat.

I am envious of Eric's dual battery hookup. Wish I had this on the Safari.

Cheryl, unless you have a battery isolator installed, I would always unplug the trailer umbilicle cord from the tow vehicle when not towing. That way if something goes south, you won't be pulling power from the vehicle battery.

Prior to pulling out, plugging in is one of the last things I do. Likewise unplugging is one of the first things I do, especially when we overnight and stay hitched.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 10:21 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

The '03 Safari comes with 2 batteries in a box behind the propane tanks, perhaps you can get a box from the factory and have someone install it for you. The way the new box is there in no longer an issue with sway bar installations. BTW, since November 2002 they have aluminum behind the stove. ONe thing about A/S, they don't stop improving!!!
SASS #41766
Melvin P. Thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 09:44 AM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
A.E.

What Jack said about the fan......

As for the sway bolted to the "A" frame, it seems to work just fine. No problems at all as far as I can tell.

The dual battery was part of the "LS" package. I got mine more or less off the dealer's lot (he ordered it and got some of the "LS" features, but not all), saw it at the RV show and picked it up.

I have most of the "LS" package except for the black tank flush, larger BTU A/C, screen guard, the cool looking tail and running lights, higher flow pump. I think I have pretty much everything else.

I agree that you should be able to buy the dual batt box or other parts and install them. The wiring is very simple. I plan on calling A/S to see what the screen guards would cost since I have "the pooch" and I know the screen is going to keep getting beat by her snoot if I don't get it.

Eric
Old 04-02-2003, 01:05 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Does the new duel battery box fit two group 27 or group 24 batteries. I am going to the factory this summer for some warranty work and might check to see if it is possible to convert to the new box.

Larry Ruebel
2002 Safari 27B
Bismarck ND
Ruebel is offline   Reply With Quote