Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2022, 09:02 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Pendleton , South Carolina
Replaced converter still no shore power

We store our 2012 23ft Signature in an enclosed storage. Have for years. Did not use during Covid but once and tried to use recently and whenever we tried to connect to shore power converter breaker would trip. First breaker tripped when tested was the converter so we replaced. Now the main breaker trips. Removed dead original deep cell wet batteries and have replacement AGM batteries but have not installed yet. The shore power we use has not changed we are told, wondering if it is our shore cord. Anyone have this happen? What to do?
Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 10:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The main breaker inside the trailer or the main breaker for the outlet that the trailer is plugged into? Are you plugged into a 30 amp trailer outlet or into a 20 or 15 amp with an adaptor? Can you unplug the trailer and trouble shoot starting at the male plug with an ohm meter? It sounds like a short somewhere. I would also be suspect of the new power converter. Is it possible the AC is turned on? Or some other large draw like the WH or the fridge. Are you using a EMS of some type. That would assure you are getting good power and would tell you if you have a high draw. It might also tell you if you are tripping from an overload or a ground fault.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 12:57 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
1969 27' Overlander
1969 27' Overlander
Walnut Creek , California
Is there any evidence of a rodent infestation? Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?
Jcondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:06 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
So, the saga continues. We had our regional Airstream Dealer check the electrical systems and converter on our 2012 International Signature 23D Airstream and they could not find anything wrong with it, and they tested it on 20 amp and 30 amp shore power. We put it in their onsite camping site and used the 20 amp circuit and everything worked fine using our cable and adapter. We also tried it at home on our 20 amp outside GFCI using our cable and adapter and a 75 foot extension and everything worked fine as well.

We returned it to our storage unit, and once again the 30 Amp Main breaker in the converter kicked off the 15 amp GFCi Breaker for the storage unit. We have used this storage unit for 7 years now and it worked fine with the old converter unit (now replaced) until last fall?

Here is my recent text and the storage unit owner's response. Does his response make sense? Would changing out the breaker as I suggested, make sense?

QUESTION:

"So, if I bought a 15 amp breaker per your specifications from Lwe's, could we set a day that you could trade it out for the old breaker and I could try the plug-in and see if that is the problem? If it's not, I can return the breaker?

Just a thought? Trying to be helpful as we like your unit and location and prefer not to move."

RESPONSE:

The 15 amp circuit only provides 80% which is 12 amps (distance of wiring?) Your trailer requires 20 amps. It may have worked when it was new, but the trailer is not designed to work on low amperage. Your trailer company would agree. You can decide to stay as is or you can look for another place with 20 amp service. Your choice.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If you had a PD EMS you would know what is happening.

You might try turning off the breaker to the converter and then plugging in. Possibly the converter draws enough at startup to flip the breaker. I would not expect to run the microwave or AC on a 15 amp circuit but I would expect everything else to work. Have you checked the voltage from the shore power 15 amp circuit?
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newby View Post
So, the saga continues. We had our regional Airstream Dealer check the electrical systems and converter on our 2012 International Signature 23D Airstream and they could not find anything wrong with it, and they tested it on 20 amp and 30 amp shore power. We put it in their onsite camping site and used the 20 amp circuit and everything worked fine using our cable and adapter. We also tried it at home on our 20 amp outside GFCI using our cable and adapter and a 75 foot extension and everything worked fine as well.

We returned it to our storage unit, and once again the 30 Amp Main breaker in the converter kicked off the 15 amp GFCi Breaker for the storage unit. We have used this storage unit for 7 years now and it worked fine with the old converter unit (now replaced) until last fall?

Here is my recent text and the storage unit owner's response. Does his response make sense? Would changing out the breaker as I suggested, make sense?

QUESTION:

"So, if I bought a 15 amp breaker per your specifications from Lwe's, could we set a day that you could trade it out for the old breaker and I could try the plug-in and see if that is the problem? If it's not, I can return the breaker?

Just a thought? Trying to be helpful as we like your unit and location and prefer not to move."

RESPONSE:

The 15 amp circuit only provides 80% which is 12 amps (distance of wiring?) Your trailer requires 20 amps. It may have worked when it was new, but the trailer is not designed to work on low amperage. Your trailer company would agree. You can decide to stay as is or you can look for another place with 20 amp service. Your choice.
If it worked at your home on a GFCI breaker…but trips the GFCI breaker at the storage yard…. I’d suspect a bad breaker at the storage yard.

Regardless of what ZOZ says below….I’d Get a cheap $5 circuit tester at HOME DEPOT or harbor fright…and use it to check the storage yard GFCI. If they gave you a smart-azz answer such as “find another storage yard”…I’d tell them if their circuit was defective and ask if they’d prefer you to notify the power company of their defect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1992.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	433337  
Boxite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 03:34 PM   #7
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
There are options

Your job is not to trouble shoot the other guy's electrical system. If you like the storage where you have been, assuming it is reasonably priced, at season's end, winterize then remove your AS batteries and trickle charge them at home.

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 09:25 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
If it worked at your home on a GFCI breaker…but trips the GFCI breaker at the storage yard…. I’d suspect a bad breaker at the storage yard.

Regardless of what ZOZ says below….I’d Get a cheap $5 circuit tester at HOME DEPOT or harbor fright…and use it to check the storage yard GFCI. If they gave you a smart-azz answer such as “find another storage yard”…I’d tell them if their circuit was defective and ask if they’d prefer you to notify the power company of their defect.
Thanks, I will test the line and the breaker.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
You could also take something like a 1500w bathroom heater there and plug it directly into the outlet you plug the trailer into to see if it trips the breaker. They are limited to 1500w so they will work on a good 15 amp outlet. Those breakers do go bad.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wasbro has it. Test the storage co. Breaker. At campgrounds a bad 30 amp breaker is quite common. I got 3 in a row once. Learned to love my 50 to 30 dogbone - far less hassle than switching sites.
Paula
Old 06-25-2023, 08:21 AM   #11
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Do you know for a fact that the 15 amp circuit is dedicated to your slot only and not other RV slots, or other loads like lighting?