Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
My 2001 had the converter on the battery side of the disconnect switch and this configuration matched the wiring diagram. I suppose this was so you could throw the switch and disconnect all 12V power from the trailer loads. Also the propane detector was on the battery side. I rewired it to put the propane detector on the load side of the switch. Now when I place the switch in store/disconnect position the batteries are isolated from all drains but still connected to the converter.

An interesting subtlety of the PD 4655. I had similar symptoms to the OP, and discovered that the outlet that my converter was plugged into was defective. The LED on the smart charger pendant was flashing normally even though there was no power to the converter. I don't remember which of the flash sequences it was executing, but I was surprised that it seemed to be indicating normal operations with no AC to the converter.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:52 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have the PD4655. When not on shore power is the LED supposed to be steady lit? I think mine is on steady when not on shore power. The manual doesn't indicate whether the LED is lit or not.

Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Which LED?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:54 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
I converted to the PD2455 a couple months ago and i'm still trying to figure out a few things:
1. When plugged into shore power do you leave the thrialer switch in use or storage?
2. When towing do you leave the switch in use or storage?
3. I found that the PD2455 LED light flashes regularly (about every second). Does that mean my batteries are charged?
4. What does a slow flashing on the LED mean?
5. What does a solid LED mean?

Thanks in advance for making these questions a it clearer

Cheers
Doug
Old 05-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I never touch the Use/Store switch. For the rest, download this PDF and put it in your documents bag:

http://www.progressivedyn.com/pdfs/4...tion_guide.pdf
Old 05-13-2015, 12:09 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Which LED?
The Charge Wizard LED. Here are the instructions for what the LED shows when plugged into shore power but is the LED on when you are just running on batteries?

The Charge Wizard Operation:
While the built-in Charge Wizard
automatically determines which operating mode is best suited to recharge or maintain opti-mum battery condition, the Wizard Mode Button allows for manual override and has an indicator light to indicate the mode of operation. (Located on DC board, included)

BOOST MODE
Indicated by green LED remaining on. The output voltage is 14.4VDC to rapidly recharge the battery up to 90% of full charge.

NORMAL MODE
When the battery is between 50% and 90% charged, the green LED will flash once per second. When the battery has reached 90% of full charge, the green LED will flash 2 - 3 times per second. In this mode the output voltage is 13.6VDC and the converter is safely completing the charge of the battery.

STORAGE MODE
Indicated by green LED flashing every 6 - 8 seconds. In this mode the output voltage has been lowered to 13.2VDC, the RV battery is fully charged and the converter is maintaining the charge.

WIZARD MODE BUTTON - The manual button has been provided to allow the operator to temporarily override the con-verter (not recommended) or to verify the converter is operating properly. For manual operation, Press and Hold the button. The indicator light will soon remain “ON” indicating Boost Mode. Continue to hold the button and the light will blink rapidly indicating the converter is in the Normal Mode. Continue to hold the button until the light blinks slowly indicating the con-verter is now in the Storage Mode. After the manual button is released the converter will stay in the selected mode. When the battery charge status changes, the converter will return to the automatic mode of operation to prevent damage to the battery.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Thanks for the link and answer. When you say you never touch the "use/store Switch" I'm assuming you just leave it in "USE"?
Thanks

Doug
Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Now that I have a 3 stage converter I leave the Use/Store switch to Use all the time except in storage. I also disconnect the battery while in storage.

So all you PD4655 owners let me know if the Charge Wizard LED is lit when not connected to shore power.

Thanks

Kelvin
Old 05-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Now that I have a 3 stage converter I leave the Use/Store switch to Use all the time except in storage. I also disconnect the battery while in storage.

So all you PD4655 owners let me know if the Charge Wizard LED is lit when not connected to shore power.

Thanks

Kelvin
I'll have to check mine to see what is going on when not on shore power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Thanks for the link and answer. When you say you never touch the "use/store Switch" I'm assuming you just leave it in "USE"?
Thanks

Doug
Sorry, yes it is in Use mode all the time.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:02 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Victor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I have the PD4655. When not on shore power is the LED supposed to be steady lit? Kelvin

I've got the same behavior going on. The LED is lit whether on shore power or battery.
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
With no AC power, mine was flashing. Flash rate may depend on state of charge. I don't remember what mine was doing, but it may have been flashing at a rate other than those defined in the manual.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:39 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I had purchased and installed a PD4655 for our Bambi several years ago. it worked great with the two-6 volt Lifeline batteries. we could go almost 5-days boon docking, using the furnace in the morning, taking showers, LED reading lights at night, listening to Sirius satellite radio. I had purchased the PD and batteries from Randy at Best converter. The cooling fan hardly ever runs. Maybe just in boost mode after usage with the volts down to 12.06 of so.
we just recently purchased a 2015 23FB, and I wanted to replicate the Bambi system, so I purchased a PD4655, again from Best, and installed it. As soon as I connected it, the cooling fan came on and has run continuously as long as we are plugged it. Thinking the Interstates were shot from sitting on the dealers lot, I installed my Lifelines from the Bambi, which I know are good, and the fan continues to run. Called the PD tech, and they said it was a defective unit, and to return to the retailer for an exchange. Waiting on shipping and return instructions from Best. They gave me the address but no info on the shipping expense. I certainly hope that they would not expect me to pay to return a defective unit.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Eddie Bauer
Billings , Montana
Thanks Rrroberts40 for posting these instructions.

The install in my 23D went really smooth. Disconnected 4 wires, connected 4 new wires and a new ground. Done. Working as advertised.

I was able to sell the Parallax 7355 on flea bay for what I paid for the PD4655. Weird.
eganwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:15 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
I had purchased and installed a PD4655 for our Bambi several years ago. it worked great with the two-6 volt Lifeline batteries. we could go almost 5-days boon docking, using the furnace in the morning, taking showers, LED reading lights at night, listening to Sirius satellite radio. I had purchased the PD and batteries from Randy at Best converter. The cooling fan hardly ever runs. Maybe just in boost mode after usage with the volts down to 12.06 of so.
we just recently purchased a 2015 23FB, and I wanted to replicate the Bambi system, so I purchased a PD4655, again from Best, and installed it. As soon as I connected it, the cooling fan came on and has run continuously as long as we are plugged it. Thinking the Interstates were shot from sitting on the dealers lot, I installed my Lifelines from the Bambi, which I know are good, and the fan continues to run. Called the PD tech, and they said it was a defective unit, and to return to the retailer for an exchange. Waiting on shipping and return instructions from Best. They gave me the address but no info on the shipping expense. I certainly hope that they would not expect me to pay to return a defective unit.
Update;
Well, Best never responded to the question regarding shipping charges, so I wound up paying shipping to return a defective unit to them. I then ordered a new PD4655 through Amazon which was delivered and is working great. At least with Amazon, you know that you can return/exchange defective merchandise at no additional expense. The cost was a little less than from Best.

Very disappointed in the lack of follow-through and a response.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:32 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
ishpeming , Michigan
Best converter

Wow that really surprises me. I had an issue where they shipped the wrong product. In with the correct one was the return p/u label. Go figure. I dealt with Cherie. Think I'm spelling that right. Good luck.
amazingwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
This weekend I replaced my Paralax 7355 with a PD 4655. Best part of the job was the included instructions. Written by someone for whom English is their first language. Maybe the "Made in USA" label had something to do with it. Project took longer than I expected, maybe a hour and half, but didn't expect all the switching of wires. After powering it up a red LED lit up under one of the 15 amp 12 volt fuses. I accidentally place a burned out fuse in that spot. What a great feature! Enough of my babble.

Here's my question to all experts. As I'm copying the Airstream fuse position label information onto the new sticker to overlay the old 7300 sticker, Fuse #1 says "15A Purple, RS Comp – W/R – Bed, Shower, Sewer LT – AC Control".

15 Amp is the fuse, Purple is the wire color... What the heck is "RS Comp" or "W/R"? I understand the rest are lights and probably the thermostat.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:56 PM   #77
F150 4X4 ProPride

2015 30' Flying Cloud
TOMBALL , Texas
From the hip RS refers to left or Road Side of the trailer. CS refers to the right or Curb Side of the trailer. WR refers to the WardRobe closet.
mycloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:54 AM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Eagle River , Alaska
Anyone that has installed a PD4655 in their rig does it run completely silent or is there a slight electric noise (similar to an old hard drive head moving across the platter?)

I've installed a replacement (for the original PD4655) and it has the same noise. I just wonder if I'm expecting it to be too silent?
waldosgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:33 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I have followed up, with questions for some of the earlier posters here, on the newer thread started by waldosgone:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...se-151312.html

Safe trip to Alaska.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #80
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Edgewood , New Mexico
Also replaced Paralax 7355 with PD 4655 converter

Rich,

Have a 2013 25' Flying Cloud and did not know what to do with the original
black wire with the pigtail that went to the old Paralax 7355 lower right slot
connection. So like you, I taped the end of the pigtail and tie-wrapped it and took the new black wire from the PD 4655 converter and inserted it in with the two remaining wires from the yellow twist cap into a larger red twist cap making a total of three wires. My rational for not tying the black pigtail into the red twist cap making a total of four wires was that it already contained a black wire from AC breaker 3. AC breaker 3 I have has two black wires off of it by the manufacturer, one being the black original pigtail wire that I taped the end of.

Question: Does having the original black pigtail wire taped and not used affect anything in your Airstream? I am planning to replace my two "fired" Interstate SRM-24 lead acid batteries with two Interstate DCM0075 AGM batteries.

Thank you,
Gary
High Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote