Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 07:15 AM   #21
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
I have a certification label on my AS stating that 2004 Classic was manufactured in compliance with these standards in effect on the date of manufacture.

Are you staying that AS does not comply with NFPA 1192, NFPA 70, ANSI/RVIA LV, etc? Is that what you think "should very much be mentioned"? If so, that's a serious legal claim.

I recommended that when we make AS modifications, we follow the current RV industry standards. I cannot believe that anyone would recommend otherwise. As I said before, rmkrum can use these to help guide their decisions so they can benefit from the "consensus".

73/gus
Hi

If you believe that there is an factory stock externally mounted DC disconnect that is labeled for the first responders to spot ( on any RV )... take a picture of it and post it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:52 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Safety and common sense

I can see that there are varied opinions on this. For myself, facing a very similar set of circumstances as the OP, this debate was educational. While I won't bore anyone with my electrical qualifications, let's just say I know my way around a wire harness.

My general mindset is to over engineer, mostly because I have seen the results of the "just meet" the standards and criteria mindset as well as seeing the other side of this where systems were designed to exceed the environment of use.
From experience, I prefer the exceed criteria.
For me, My RV is an investment. I'm looking at the long game. My RV is 32 years old this month (Mfr date 6/86). I plan to have it for the next 20 years.
Additionally, I want it to be safe and secure. I neither wish to put myself or others in danger. My life is worth the $200 for 200' of the ancor 12/3 wire spec'd in a previous post. I believe your life is equally valuable.
As a rule, NFPA standards are written in blood. For me it's even more personal than that. I have a nephew who is a NY fireman. I would hate to have to explain to him why my TT caught fire or to the Mother/brother/sister/grandfather of one of my guests why little Johnny was electrocuted/burned/suffocated.

I prefer to believe that none of you wish to be in this situation either.

Thank you uncle bob for posting those standards. RVIA has a new member and some of the publications mentioned are now on their way to me. I only wish they came in PDF format.

Warmest regards to all
Hector (Formerly KA2AKR)
Carbon footp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
correction

It was gklott I needed to thank for the standards reference, not uncle bob. I would edit my prior post, but it appears that it is too old to edit
Carbon footp is offline   Reply With Quote