Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ranchos de Taos , New Mexico
Remote display and interior design

Hey all, I finally got all my electrical upgrade stuff from AM solar. For one thing, I am looking for ideas on where to install the battery monitor remote display panel. We don't have any wall panels yet except for the closets right outside of the bathroom on both sides. We have a '70 Safari that is empty except for the bathroom. We need to install cabinets and all of the kitchen appliances. We probably won't install overhead cabinets. Anybody have pictures of where their various remote display panels are? I am looking for those who have remodeled their A/S and have done a custom interior. Since we have an empty canvas, so to speak, we are trying to get ideas of where to place the various functional but not necessarily attractive accessories that are required for a boondocking rig. The Magnum Hybid inverter will be installed in the bottom of the curbside cabinet behind the interior fender. The two 6v 300Ah Lifeline batteries are also on the curbside about 10 inches in front of the interior fender under the pull-out bed (bed in place but not yet installed). Our model has a 50 gallon water tank on the street side just in front of the axle so the batteries and inverter should balance out the weight. Probably too much information for the question asked, but I didn't want anyone to think that I am just installing things willy nilly. We want a conservative and tasteful design with simple, elegant and functional details. Thanks for any photos or ideas. Tom
twh731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Just go to Houzz and search "Airstream", that should get you started on interior photos to give you some ideas.
Airstream Home Design Ideas, Pictures, Remodel and Decor
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
My solution may have no bearing on your design but I found placement behind a visual blocker the most attractive install - out of sight but not out of mind. Of course, my unit is much newer with full cabinetry and I was looking to minimize my work. The small shelf with top-hinged door above my refrigerator was ideal for access to the pathway between roof vent outlet, vertical and horizontal cable runs behind cabinetry.

That places the meters at eye level when I open the cabinet door yet hidden when closed. It also allowed other meters to be co-located like a new SeeLevel panel for tanks.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Since it'll be curb side for the batteries and converter, how about on the wall slightly aft of the door. Maybe 3/4 eye level. Another option would be on the wall behind the street side goucho or partition aft of the goucho. That partition usually has the thermostat and light on it anyway so it becomes a bit of a control center.
I buried my solar controller in a cabinet and wish I hadn't, it's a small basic one so I only have the lights on it to see how it's doing and I find myself checking it regularly since I really want to know how the charge is since Ive only been on solar 90% of the time.
Just some ideas.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We remodeled our Airstream bedroom, and have two cubbies against each corner in the front near the tongue. This is where I installed my solar charge controller. I also ended up installing my Samlex 600w converter here too, but I don't have a recent photo of that install.

I installed my IPN Pro remote display in the side of an overhead compartment.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Good ideas!

Thanks all! I will say right at the start that Airforums is by far the best forum I have ever been on! The great number of experienced and knowledgeable people is evident every time I log in. It's like the one-stop shopping for A/S info. For us first timers it is unquestionably the SOURCE. We have done all of the dirty work such as bellypan removal and cleaning and reinsulating, bathroom floor rot repair, painting the A/S frame with POR15...etc. We haven't put the bellypan back on yet. That's the last not-so-fun thing left to do. So now we are looking at the more enjoyable endeavor of configuring and upgrading the interior amenities. Right now we have a Sleep Number inflating bed in it so that we can spend nights in our Safari when we want to. We have a folding couch/bed that we bought on Amazon being recovered in supple gray leather which will replace the inflating bed when we get it back. The pull-out trundle bed will have a firm folding mattress also covered in matching grey leather. It is on the curbside over the inner fender. For now we have a folding camping table where the kitchen will eventually be. We have to assemble an entire LP system from scratch yet. So keep the ideas coming. Also thanks for the Houzz link. We'd never heard of that site. It will be fun seeing what they have. Tom
Old 10-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I just finished putting almost all of my belly pan on not long ago. It's not as bad as you'd think. Sharp drill bit really helps a lot!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:28 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Thanks for the encouragement, HiJoe. What are the odds that the same holes line up? I guess we'll find out eventually. I'm sure it's one of those jobs where the thought of doing it is worse than the actual doing it. I've spent so much time on my back in the gravel underneath that I was beginning to look for places to build a nest right beside the mice and pack rats. It has to be done so we'll get it done before winter. Thanks Tom
Old 10-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Bold adventure...how did you get that end panel off of there?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by twh731 View Post
Thanks for the encouragement, HiJoe. What are the odds that the same holes line up? I guess we'll find out eventually. I'm sure it's one of those jobs where the thought of doing it is worse than the actual doing it. I've spent so much time on my back in the gravel underneath that I was beginning to look for places to build a nest right beside the mice and pack rats. It has to be done so we'll get it done before winter. Thanks Tom
If you're re using the old belly pan the holes should line up well if you get some cleco'd for starting. If you're using new metal it's easier to drill new holes. New holes on the bottom are no big deal, on the sides where the top of the wraps attach, fill old holes first. I was able to eyeball fairly well on some holes but eventually decided it wasn't worth the effort and just went with new ones. I sprayed some galvanizing spray into the holes prior to putting rivets in to minimize steel to aluminum corrosion then sprayed rivet heads(on bottom).
I know the lying on the ground feeling, I'm in the dirt where there used to be grass a long time ago, no sun under trailer took care of that. I put a cheap tarp under me when down there. I started putting mouse traps out to thin the herd.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:22 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Using a piece of 2x across the bottom and car jack to hold it and the metal up helps.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Don't forget to seal the front of the frame tubes under the forward end of the A frame. If you look up under there you'll see the open ends. Easy path for mice into the belly.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:10 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
great tips

HiJoe, Once again, great tips. I am going to go to a body shop and get some seam putty for the gap in the front rails. I like the idea of jacks to hold the large piece in place. Tom
Old 10-17-2015, 10:13 AM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Bold adventure...how did you get that end panel off of there?
Which end panel? In the overhead cabinet? There are two screws holding it on. They're out of sight, but run your fingers and you'll find them.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #15
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I sympathize with your dilemma. While I have a new trailer, I did many, many modifications to it....including Magnum MSH inverter, 4 6V AGM batteries, 600W of solar, cell amp, WiFi Ranger, ice maker, etc., etc. What I did NOT want to do was have a meter here and a switch there. So, I made a custom panel and ran all my wiring into one central location. After about 9 months with my new trailer, I've found it really works well. For one thing, I have a SINGLE place to turn things on and off. Only exceptions are water pump (kitchen) and water heater gas/electric (bath). I installed this panel in my closet. (Sorry photo is sidewise.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2550.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	250544  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:42 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
panel

Good job on the panel, BAB. Is the panel located in a cabinet or a visible wall surface? And switches? I hadn't even thought about putting any kind of switches in. That would be an interesting consideration for the near future... Tom
Old 10-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #17
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
It's located inside the closet of my Classic (left side, top). So, it's behind a door and convenient....but also not visible, so it doesn't detract from the cherry interior. As I was planning this install, I planned for a total of 8 12V switches and 4 120V. I could use a few more 12V switches. Installed a bus bar for the 12V, and each circuit is individually fused. (Behind the panel, mounted on an adjacent wall.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote