Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2012, 09:26 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Refrigerator Vent Layout Question

Can someone explain how the fridge vent is set up? I'm trying to run cable down it and just wonder if the whole area behind the fridge is open to the vent or if it is ducted back there and I will need to figure out how to get the wire out of the duct to grab it from the area behind accessible from the hatch door.

It seems like it might be open but if someone could explain that will save me some time.

I know there is a plastic baffle directly under the roof vent cover and wire mesh on my 77 excella. A previous owner has a little port with a cover that can be removed from inside the cabin so I can see a little bit there. I'm trying to figure out if I should let the wire drop all the way down the chute (loose and flopping) or if I should be trying to fish it out soon after it enters the vent to continue the run?
WBCCI #1711
Texas Gulf Coast Unit, Texas Airstream Harbor
Angelina National Forest, Zavalla, TX
CA_Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I ran a coax down mine earlier this year. I let it drop down to the cabinet level and then secured it to the side with a couple of ties and double sided tape. My fridge is short and there is an enclosure that attaches above the fridge and continues to the roof vent. I had to remove the vent cover to expand the wire mesh to get the cable down.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
On my '73, it is a continuous path from the vent on the room down to the floor behind the fridge.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
There may be difference from trailer year and fridge model, but nearly all have a row of fins across the rear of the fridge near the top. In general there is about a 2" gap between these fins and the wall or a baffle built up to achieve that gap. This is designed to enhance the airflow through those fins.

I drilled out the rivets and removed the cover and hail screen for better access. I was able to drop the cable down the side of the fridge avoiding the fins. I also chose the side away from burner unit as the surfaces over there can get hot. I then secured the cable to the side wall so that it wouldn't be a problem if someone needed to pull the fridge out. I then reinstalled the hail screen and vent cover with pop rivets and made sure it was sealed up well.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Should I be moving the fridge to do this properly? I have no idea how much effort that would be but it just struck me that it could be a good idea if it slides out without much.
WBCCI #1711
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Silver Goose, I can see those fins looking up from behind and they look filthy. Cleaning them would be another benefit to moving the fridge out.

I can't tell from all your responses if you loved the fridge or not. You don't talk about it but there is talk about routing and fastening the cable and I don't see how to do that without access.
WBCCI #1711
Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy View Post
Should I be moving the fridge to do this properly? I have no idea how much effort that would be but it just struck me that it could be a good idea if it slides out without much.
I would not move the fridge. There is enough room to work behind it via the access door.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
Umm make that "moved" not "loved" - gotta "love" auto correct!
WBCCI #1711
Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
banjobill

2000 30' Limited
battle ground, , Washington
move it out!

well, my sig other wouldn't allow me to keep the orig fridge in our 85. I imagine a 77 is even less desirable (as compared to a new one). So I removed the old one. It is a piece of cake. Then you can do what'cha want in the opening. go for it. it really is pretty straight forward and at the very least you will have copious access; will have a clean(er) fridge, and you can run a pvc conduit up to the refer access on the roof for future wires for all the other stuff you will add. and you will become a fridge guru.
wmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Zavalla , Texas
It is on the list for upgrades in the near future, as are the cabinets. As for now... Hmmm. I would really like to clean back there. I think those fins are all clogged up. And it could help me in thinking through what I want to do with the cabinets. Trying to talk myself into it.
WBCCI #1711
Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Tallguy View Post
No... You don't need to move the fridge. If you remove the vent cover, the cable should drop all the way to the floor, it might take a couple of tries. Then you should be able to move the cable over to the side. I used cable ties with eyelets to anchor into the wood with screws. If you don't want to use screws, Lowes, Home Depot and Radio Shack sell adhesive backed cable tie mounts. They can stay put on some surfaces, but I prefer the screw mounts where screws won't be a problem.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
Streamline Imperial

Currently Looking...
Bellflower , California
If it was me, I'd clean the fins in situ with compressed air once the cover is removed. That saves bringing all of that nastiness into the interior, vacuum or no. Also when running wires, I like to anticipate future needs and run every possible wire needed at the same time, with the ends coiled or stubbed at each end of the project at hand as appropriate.

1971 Streamline Imperial project "Silver Snausage", 1985 Coleman tent trailer, 1964 Little Dipper, 1975 Northwest "Proto Toyhauler", 2004 Harbor Freight folding, still seeking my Airstream.
SilvrSausage is offline   Reply With Quote