Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #1
3rd Airstream!

2018 20' Flying Cloud
West Gardiner , New Hampshire
Recommendations for new distribution panel

I have a '78 Caravanner that I am working on. While I am at it, I would like to replace the old glass tube fuse distribution panel with something more modern..circuit breaker to blade..not real knowledgeable on it. Any recommendations on what and where to purchase?
dwogaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
You don't need something complex. Fuses work fine, unless there's a genuine problem they should never blow. Del City electronics has many products that are inexpensive, compact, and suitable. I used something similar to this on my Cayo:

http://www.delcity.net/store/Mini-Blade-ATM-Fuse-Blocks/p_790091

Not big enough? Use two, etc.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
I'm just starting to work on my '76 Caravanner, so I will be most interested in your progress. I hope you will be sharing it with Forum members. Any chance you can post some pictures?
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I considered 12v circuit breakers, mainly because I love buttons and switches.

I ended up going with a panel of automotive-style blade fuses because the panels are affordable, the fuses are compact and cheap enough to carry plenty of spares and they're available anywhere.

I went with one of these, the PO of my 24' trailer used one and it's been in trouble-free service for about 8 years between us. The fuse block is by Parallax and available from many sources, I just happened to choose that one because I knew they had a good photo of it and IMHO you won't go wrong ordering from them.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Dwogaman,

Pretty much anything made for the marine world will be better than the typical RV stuff.

The industry ethos is different: safety, security, long life, good design etc instead of price-point thinking.

I don’t know from personal experience but it’s logical that when you’re out on the ocean in the salt spray all of that stuff is important.

Blue Sea makes a really nice 12v distribution panel:

ST Blade Fuse Block - 12 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover - Blue Sea Systems

I have it in my trailer. See post # 649 of my major, long thread here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f227...-18448-47.html

One of the advantages of Blue Sea is the customer support. You can call them about anything to do with their products and they’ll provide helpful advice.

Sergei

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunset Grant.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	204311
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
50amp

I went with a Progressive Dynamics PD4590 panel and converter system with the intellipower charger. Used GE circuit breakers and automotive blade type fuses for the 12v. Works great. Never look back!

Best of luck,
Old 01-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Buda , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden View Post
I went with a Progressive Dynamics PD4590 panel and converter system with the intellipower charger. Used GE circuit breakers and automotive blade type fuses for the 12v. Works great. Never look back!

Best of luck,

Can you say where you got the breakers for the PD 4590, I have about the same set up
Old 01-25-2014, 02:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Sure. Got them at Lowes. Standard stock.

There were several that would fit the panel (I believe the panel says on it which types will fit it). I just asked the guy working there, and he showed me several different types. I believe Square D, GE, and maybe one other would all work fine. Toss a coin kind of thing. I went with the GE and they've been fine. Cost about $6 or $7 each as I recall. Had to use a dual pole for the main breaker, so it cost about $12.

Worst part of the entire conversion is that the big ol' heavy 50amp chord is a lot harder to coil than the old 30amp one was. But I don't run out of watts anymore