Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2020, 09:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Ottawa , Ontario
Re-wiring 1962 24' Tradewind frame

Hi, my 1962 AS is completely stripped, body lifted, and the frame's restoration is almost completed. I'm at the planning stage of all electrical, trailer first and full AS once the body is reattached to the frame. This AS had no batteries, at least not when I purchased it last year. I want batteries and converters, a modern system.

It seems that "gutting"(I do not really like this terminology) was the easiest part. Proper planning is critical and yet, quite complex for a newbie. Yes, this is my first AS renovation. -

I will gladly take any advices or diagrams from the many experts on this forum:

1. Wiring the frame for the pick-up truck?
2. Best types of batteries and inverter to purchase?
3. Any hints that I should consider?

Thank you everyone...
Andre
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Here is a list I put together when I started planning the electrical to get an idea of placement and load so I could plan circuits etc. Of course what goes along with that is the layout: How far apart are electrical components. What other mechanical systems will be competing for space.

ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS.pdf

Don't forget about any electrical connected to any plumbing in the belly pan: tank sensors, pumps.

Regarding the 7 wire cabling for lights and brakes will you be going with magnetic drum or electric over hydraulic brakes. If EOH I would recommend going with the larger gauge cable like this.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/H20046.html

It has heavier gauge wire for the power, ground and brake circuits.

Batteries, inverter/charger can be a more complex solution.
What is your goal - always in RV parks with power available, boon docking.
If boon docking and you want AC, start thinking about a generator.
What type of load will you be using when not on city power and for how long.
Solar - how many - mounted or portable
Is your end goal require more capacity than you will start with. If so, will you size components for the end goal now or replace as capacity increases.

A lot to plan and sort out. You can get there just start planning and ask lots of questions.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:16 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Ottawa , Ontario
Re-wiring 1962 24' Tradewind frame

Thank you for the response 57Vintage, I was away for some times, thus, my late reply to you. I really appreciate your electronic PDF, that brings a lot of clarity to the many question marks I have. In between, I had already purchase the wiring for the traier (frame) and, without knowing it, I purchased a Hopkins system with larger gauge! I also purchased a "break-away" system.

Thank you for the offer to reach out if I encounter some road blocks, which I believe are inevitable... -
Old 10-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi 57Vintage, as far as batteries, I am thinking Optima BlueTop D31M, available in Costco (Canada) for $360 cdn. Below is the link for your viewing:
https://www.costco.ca/optima-d31m-ba...100411808.html

I think two should be enough as we are planning to work from the trailer for the full next year (wife and I), thus will stay in organized camp grounds. I already have a good portable generator (3,000w) https://www.rentquip.com/images_items_full/930.jpg
I will also install a simple yet efficient solar system. This will most likelybe composed of two flexible panels (new high technology) monted on the roof.

Like you said, lots, lots lots of planning...
Andre-
Old 10-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I don't have any real expertise on AGM batteries. I went with Lithium to get the off grid capacity I wanted.

I would suggest looking at AGM golf cart batteries (6 volt) and see if you can't get more capacity at a cheaper or equivalent price. They will stand up to charge cycles better than most automotive based batteries.

Hopefully someone with more EE knowledge will help you sort through this.

Sending this link I came across a couple years ago. A retired EE friend who travels 6-8 months a year was thinking of switching to golf cart batteries reviewed it and it convinced him to change when his original batteries gave up.

https://marinehowto.com/what-is-a-deep-cycle-battery/

Keeping in mind whether or not your choice can outgas has to be a consideration of where you place the batteries. Hopefully, more input will come alone.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags