Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
RCA wires for 25'SS

I am wondering if anyone knows where these wires run to.I had placed my flat screen up and mounted it above the dinette onto the fridge wall.There are connectors in the cabinet up above for the cable and plugin.I looked behind the plugin and found what looks to be 2 rca hookups.1 double wire and the other is a triple.The only thing though is that they keep going across the wall and I can not pull out the ends so I am assuming that it keeps on going to a specific location.Would they be hidden along the wall of the fridge by chance.I was told by my dealer how to take one of these out and there may possibly be back there but did not know for sure at the time.I am just wanting to hook the flat screen up to the speaker system in the Airstream itself.Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:29 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Are you saying that there are RCA cables in the wall by the fridge?

I noticed that there are a lot of RCA cables, power, etc in the street side couch arm storage (I think though that may be for the subwoofer).

--or--

Maybe it goes to the back of the stereo. If you open the door to the curbside front rooflocker, you'll see a mini panel with I think 4 wood screws holding it on. Once the panel is off you'll see some RCA cables back there that are not connected.....if that is the case, anyone could install the LCD display if I read you right that the RCA cables are behind the fridge wall.

BTW, below your avitar you still have listed a Bambi....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 07:42 AM   #3
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
wires

I found the subwoofer wires in the couch under the arm rest but when I took the plugin off at the cabinet locker above the dinette nearest the fridge I noticed there were 2 wires running through there one looked to be standard 2 wired and the other looked to be 3 wires asuming that was the one with the audio wire attached to it.I just dont want to have to take the fridge out unless I can know for sure that the wires are there.
Thats the thing though.I dont know if they really are back there but was told by the guy at the dealership that they were but dont quote him on it cause it could lead else where.
I could not ever find them in the bambi.Westfalia found his but mine were not there.
I guess I willhave a job ahead of me taking the fridge out to see if they are there sometime in the future.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Can you see anything from the outside fridge vent door? This has peaked my curiosity.

GM, when they build a vehicle, they place all the wiring in the vehicle the same. If you pay for the upgrade, they attach the gear to the pre-installed wires at the factory. If not, the wires are there. I've added several accessories by simply buying them on eBay or a parts counter, and adding them myself to the vehicle, connecting them to the wires that in most cases even have the connectors sitting there waiting. I guess the bean counters at GM figured to custom wire each model would cost more than placing the wires there and adding the toys later.

I didn't think Airstream did that too, but I'll tell you what, I've seen how the fridge comes out....may take a few buddies to pull it, but disconnection isn't hard at all. I may do some investigating when I go to the Safari in a few weeks. If the wires are there, and they are the ones that terminate to the back of stereo that I saw that were also not connected, you may have found a real, somewhat easy way for newer Airstreamers to add a video package for far, far, far, far less than the $1500 retail price.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey, I had a thought......

If and I know this a big if, but I use some line testing gear (similar to what I use to tone and tag Ethernet cable runs), I wonder if I placed a tone gen on the RCA jacks behind the stereo, if the testing unit would be able to find the signal, if in fact the lines you're seeing are in fact the same lines I see at the stereo. I'm not sure my 04 has the plugin you mention you found in the dinette roof locker, but I'll look.

I guess an even easier way would be to see if the factory would tell us too.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:55 AM   #6
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
wires

I dont think it is hard to remove it either.If I remember correctly there are 2 bolts holding it in place outside in the vent area and you have to disconnect the 2 wires.(I think blue and white sitting on the floor area in the vent.Then go back inside and remove the plate that is above the fridge.I would think there are a few more things to do but this is what I remember from what the tech said at the dealership and it should slide right out.I guess takeing the risk is the part I am hesitant about because I dont want to screw anything up until I know for sure how to do it.I will be checking on it myself also here in the future.

Old 02-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Devo,

When you get everything done, please post pictures. I've thought of mounting a flatscreen the same place you picked but never acted because it seemed like people sitting at the dinette could pump their heads.
WBCCI #3580 - Region 12 NorCal
AIR #8752
Roseville, CA
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:35 PM   #8
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Mounting

You are right about the location.At first I was hesitant on putting it there but then decided I would because it was not going to be a problem with just the 3 of us.It is though a really stange area to set one up though but that is where Airstream has been putting them it seems.I will take a pic of what I have done so far.
The flat screen is mounted and I had drilled out a hole as close as I could to the back with a wood bit about 1 inch round and ran both the plug and cable through it.Then I wrap it with the black plastic tubing and then wrapped that with black electrical tape.I think it turned out very clean.Once I find the RCA wires I will run it to the flat screen also.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Pics

Here are some pics so far.No RCA wire hookup as of yet but hopefully sometime in the future I will have time to do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2252330.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	18708   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2252331.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	18709  

Old 02-25-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Couple more.

Pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2252333.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	18710   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2252334.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	18711  

Old 02-25-2006, 07:30 PM   #11
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Pics

It seems right now I can not post the last 2 pics up.

Old 02-25-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The pics you posted are great....I can't wait to crack mine open and take a look see.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:34 PM   #13
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Pics

Pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2252335.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	18712   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2252336.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	18713  

Old 02-26-2006, 10:09 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Lightbulb Poking around ...

... must be a Touareg thang!! I was reviewing my saved bookmarks and ran across Westfalia's similar thread: Mystery wires behind stereo.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote