Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
Range Hood Fuse

We own a 23' FB Flying Cloud purchased new in 2009.
Recently the range hood fan and range hood lights failed suddenly.
After determining that the fuse that supplied the range hood in the main panel was OK I started investigating the range hood itself.
According to blogs on Airforums the fuse holder should be found somewhere inside the range hood itself.
After removing the range hood from the wall and dismantling it I finally located the fuse holder shoved up just inside the inside wall and accessible only after removing the entire range hood. (see photos)
Nowhere in the owner's manual supplied with the trailer did it mention that there was a separate fuse on the range hood and most certainly there was no mention that the entire unit would need to be removed and the fuse holder pulled out of the wall if the fuse should happen to blow.
In the process of my progressive dismantling of the range hood in search of this mythical fuse holder the slider switch for the lights and fan was broken so the unit is now scrap as it is unlikely that a replacement switch is available.
And oh yes, the fuse was blown.
So I cannot help but wonder: Was it the genius who designed our RV or the genius who installed the range hood who had the inspiration to hide the fuse holder inside the wall behind the unit?
Airstream has built its reputation and maintains its high retail prices on the assertion that it builds a quality RV - supposedly the best in the business.
My experience clearly demonstrates otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse_Holder_1.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	205246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse_Holder_2.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	205247  

Name:	Fuse_Holder_3.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	205248  
kordate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
In any normal universe, the easily accessible fuse that didn't blow would have blown instead. The difficult-to-access fuse would have been fine, and you'd never have even known it was there.

Many appliances have nigh-inaccessible interior fuses as a final line of defense against fire or electrocution, that only trip if the circuit fuse somehow doesn't stop an overcurrent or overheat situation. Your television and microwave are excellent examples, as is your range hood.

Don't fault the designer or installer. Ask instead, why didn't the circuit fuse blow first? Finding the answer to that question will go a long way toward ensuring you don't have the same experience again.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
Further info.

The range hood fuse holder hidden in the wall is/was 5 A.
The lowest rated fuse on the main panel is 15 A.
All the fuses on the main panel protect circuits that supply multiple devices including the one that protects the range hood circuit.
The fuse holder hidden in the wall looks like standard automotive issue and was crimp connected to the range hood wiring - that is to say, it appears that Airstream added the hidden fuse holder after-market.
I asset from first hand experience that it would have been easier for the Airstream installer to put an after-market inline fuse holder inside the range hood itself rather than pushing it up inside the trailer wall.
There are numerous examples in our trailer of poor design and sloppy installation and, at least for the time being, this one takes the cake.
If the Japanese or Koreans or even the Germans start marketing a travel trailer in North America Airstream won't last 5 years.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
I'm confused, and perhaps you've got an older hood than those in the 2011 (for example). And perhaps you don't have the Baraldi version.

I had fuse problems with my 2013 range hood, but it's one manufactured by an Italian company – Baraldi.

Access to it, is pretty easy; remove the filter and the fuse holder is in plain sight. Baraldi specs a 3.5 mini fuse. Airstream recommends a 5 amp to replace.

If, in fact, you've got another design, rest assured Airstream has changed vendors.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I just heard your story from one of my neighbors.
Can I assume you are the Ontario trailer parked not too far from where we are on lot 70 at Myakka state park?
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
All I need to see is the fine trim job on the vent opening in the wall to give me an idea of the quality workmanship completed in the A$ factory. I wonder if it so the same person who trimmed the window openings on my 44 year old Argosy. Sure looks like it.
As long as it is hidden. I guess it passes for good workmanship.
Whomever approved the installation of this unit with a hidden fuse. What were they thinking?
The manufacturer specs call for a 3.5 amp fuse. But it seems A$ knows better and boosted the fuse size.
A surface mounted fuse holder would have been a simple, inexpensive solution. But I guess A$ did not want to spend $3.00 on an $80K trailer.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:41 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by murreywalker View Post
I had fuse problems with my 2013 range hood, but it's one manufactured by an Italian company – Baraldi.

Access to it, is pretty easy; remove the filter and the fuse holder is in plain sight. Baraldi specs a 3.5 mini fuse. Airstream recommends a 5 amp to replace.
Was it your fan or your light that blew? We have a 2012 with the Baraldi range hood and the lights blew. We found the fuse you mention, but it seems like that controls the fan. Any idea where the light fuse is?

Find & Share Great Campsites: Campendium
flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:17 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
Range hood fuse.

In our 2009 23' FB Flying Cloud there was only one fuse for both the fan and lights. If only your lights are out perhaps the bulbs are burnt out?
Old 06-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kordate View Post
If only your lights are out perhaps the bulbs are burnt out?
Maybe - though the both popped simultaneously!

Old 06-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcloud View Post
Was it your fan or your light that blew? We have a 2012 with the Baraldi range hood and the lights blew. We found the fuse you mention, but it seems like that controls the fan. Any idea where the light fuse is?
I'm pretty sure the fuse is for the fan; the 5 mini took care of that problem.

However, I've had two lights burn out, and have replaced them. As a backup, I've ordered two LED's to replace the BAD Baraldi halogens when they blow out again. And I'm sure it will happen.

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	228892
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcloud View Post
Just blew the above fuse. At least our 2012 has that fuse box shown above. Replaced the blown fuse with the mini GMC-5, time delay fuse. The stock fuse is European and 3.15 amp for up to 250 volt. That is the same as a 6.3 amp for 120 volt service. Thus a 5 amp mini is appropriate. By the way, the fuse does cut power to the fan and the lights. If there is another fuse just for the lights, it's not in clear view and inline after this mini that fuses both fan and lights. I would think this and the 15 amp main buss fuse are all there is.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
somewhere , on the road
I think maybe both our lights blew. We still haven't tried replacing them. Just cooking in the dark.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
We have a 2010 Flying Cloud 27FB. Yesterday, while cooking, the lights and fan in our Baraldi range hood stopped working (absolutely at the same time). There were no other issues with the electrical in the trailer. The "manual" for baraldi had no useful information, but I did notice a fuse upon investigation (as pictured by Howard L.). Then I went hunting on the forums. Replaced the blown fuse with a 5 Amp 250 Volt Slow-Blow fuse from RadioShack, and we are back in business!

I would like to thank all for this thread, particularly Murrey Walker and Howard L.

One comment. Getting a replacement fuse was not so easy. Forget Camping World. Forget Napa Auto Parts. Forget Ace (we didn't go there, however they were recommended, but I couldn't find either fuse on their website). We were able to purchase what we needed at Radio Shack. They seem to be going out of business. I would suggest obtaining some spare fuses and keeping them with the trailer.

Best, Mary D.
MaryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:08 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
Range hood LEDs

You might consider replacing the bulbs in your range hood with LEDs which draw considerably less current than the incandescent bulbs and thereby reduce the likelihood of blowing another fuse.
Direct replacements are becoming more widely available and much less expensive. I have dealt with LightInTheBox.com which has a wide variety of bulbs at reasonable prices.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:33 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Oakland , California
Good Idea, kordate, thanks for the link!

Best, Mary D
MaryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #16

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kordate View Post
You might consider replacing the bulbs in your range hood with LEDs which draw considerably less current than the incandescent bulbs and thereby reduce the likelihood of blowing another fuse.
Direct replacements are becoming more widely available and much less expensive. I have dealt with LightInTheBox.com which has a wide variety of bulbs at reasonable prices.
Can you provide a specific bulb model number or replacement LED bulb link?

Thank you, Jim
jimreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Toronto , Ontario
LED bulb replacement for range hood.

I adapted two "Inreda" units from Ikea - they come in a four-pack - see photo.
Because these Ikea units are 12 volts DC they could be wired in as a direct replacement for the original units.
The varierty of LED bulbs available at the retail level has been increasing rapidly so a simpler solution would be to replace only the bulbs with 12 volt LEDs of the same format - check your range hood for the type of base required and the sizes that will fit. The more lumens the better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	255219  
Old 01-08-2016, 05:24 AM   #18

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Attachment 228892
Just blew the above fuse. At least our 2012 has that fuse box shown above. Replaced the blown fuse with the mini GMC-5, time delay fuse. The stock fuse is European and 3.15 amp for up to 250 volt. That is the same as a 6.3 amp for 120 volt service. Thus a 5 amp mini is appropriate .
I found the factory replacement fuse (3.15A 250V Delay) on amazon, link below. Would be great for people to share links of replacement products more often.
5 Qty. 5x20mm 3.15A Slow-Blow Ceramic Fuse T3.15a 250v
Link: http://amzn.com/B004GFFDYI

Side note, I am assuming the GMC-5 relates to the 5x20mm cartridge fuse.

Bests, Jim Reed (Austin, TX)
jimreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
http://www.amazon.com/BUSSMANN-EATON.../dp/B011NAH9TK

That's it. Found the one I used at local Ace hardware.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #20
Dali-Roule

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
Attachment 228892

Just blew the above fuse. At least our 2012 has that fuse box shown above. Replaced the blown fuse with the mini GMC-5, time delay fuse. The stock fuse is European and 3.15 amp for up to 250 volt. That is the same as a 6.3 amp for 120 volt service. Thus a 5 amp mini is appropriate. By the way, the fuse does cut power to the fan and the lights. If there is another fuse just for the lights, it's not in clear view and inline after this mini that fuses both fan and lights. I would think this and the 15 amp main buss fuse are all there is.
Thank you for the explanation, very useful.
RJacquot is offline   Reply With Quote