Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
quick question. hard metal wire out of my fuse box.....??

i have a argosy 24.

i completly gutted it and i m not finishing putting it back together!

i m attacking my fuse box and there is a hard metal wire coming out of it.... it s bronze in color and seems like a material similar to what ''coat hanger are made of.....

i have cut this wire 1 foot out of the fise box many months ago and i m trying to figure out what it is? i see the other part of it goes inside a hole in the floor....

how do i connect this wire back together? what s the purpose? anyone can help?! can i just twise together both end to make a connection?
jonnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It most likely is the ground wire connected to the frame of the trailer. It is probably a very stiff solid copper wire. It will connect to the ground bar inside the circuit breaker box. That bar will be bonded to the metal box itself. There will be another bar with screws in it, which looks similar but is NOT, repeat NOT connected to the metal box. It will be insulated from the box. This is very important, it is the neutral bar. White wires go to it. The green ground wires go to the other bar, the one with the connection to the box, and to that heavy wire you are asking about.

If in doubt, get help from an electrician who understands RV electrical sub panels. An incorrectly wired box can become very dangerous to you and your family.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If it is an un-insulated copper wire, it is a ground wire. It should not be a spliced reconnect, replace the entire wire. Trace the part of the wire where it goes through the floor. If it is the ground, it should go to a clamp type connector that is bolted to the trailer's steel frame.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
My ground was connected to the c channel/frame inside the wall about 3 feet to the left of the breaker box.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

it s a uninstalled copper wire to i guess the ground.

so, if i need to replace it, can i replace with another kind of wire? or stick to the same material?

thank you everyone for the help!
Old 04-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
That would be your 120 volt ground wire. It's copper. And it should be replaced, never "spliced."

Actually, you should replace it with one size larger wire. In these rigs, you can never have "too much" ground.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
As Tom said its your ground and shouldn't be spliced..... i would go heavier and replace it all since you've cut it.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Use #6 solid copper wire. Available at big box stores like Lowes.
I believe you will find the frame attachment point in the trunk of the coach. There will be a connector bolted to the frame. Loosen the screw, remove the old wire, install the new and retighten.
Make sure the other end is connected to the GROUND buss and NOT the NEUTRAL buss.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Use #6 solid copper wire. Available at big box stores like Lowes.
I believe you will find the frame attachment point in the trunk of the coach. There will be a connector bolted to the frame. Loosen the screw, remove the old wire, install the new and retighten.
Make sure the other end is connected to the GROUND buss and NOT the NEUTRAL buss.
Thank you! You made my job so much easier!