Old 09-18-2020, 11:44 PM   #1

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
question about hooking up to a friend's house

Newbie here, setting off on our first trip. We have a 27 foot FC. I bought a 50 amp female to 30 Amp male dog bone. We will use a Surge Protector. My question is, should I buy a 50 amp female to 20 amp male adaptor to hook up to my friend's power? Or is there an advantage to using 2 dog bones to drop down to 20 amp house power? The AS dealer guy suggested 2 dog bones (with the surge protector) would drag onto the ground (not ideal). Searching around it seems that most people choose this double dog bone solution versus dropping from 50 amp directly to 20/15. I don't know much about electricity so I'm cautious with these things -- any advice? Thank you!v
beckys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
Most people think in terms of source to user. Your trailer is 50 A, so a 30 to 50 A and a 20 To 50 A will cover you. Having those or linking a 20-30 to a 30-50, either way you are carrying two dogbones.
An unfortunate and costly moochdocking mistake is to plug a 30 A adapter into a 230 V dryer outlet. Don’t do it!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Don, Nice catch on the 230V dryer connection. That would let the magic smoke out of the trailer appliances! Beckys, Please note that adapters don't change the amperage or voltage of a circuit. They only allow you to connect to different connectors. The feeding circuit voltage and amperage will remain the same. One thing to keep in mind is that many standard home circuits labeled 20 amp have 15 amp circuit breakers (14 gauge wire) and also that most long extension cords are 14 gauge which are limited to 10-15 amps. See a wire ampacity chart here: https://www.cepnow.com/cord-length-a...-rating-chart/. Also, note that there is a voltage drop associated with long cords that will cause a heavily loaded appliance to draw more current to make up for lost voltage. For instance, I connect my 30 Amp trailer to a 15 amp circuit outside my house. I use a 75' 12 gauge extension cord. When I measured the voltage at the trailer with no load, I read 119 volts. When I started the Air Conditioner (I have a MicroAir soft starter on mine) the voltage dropped to 107 volts which will cause damage over time to the compressor. The extra current will also heat the extension cord and connectors which could damage them. Also bear in mind that when you connect to a power source and your batteries are low, the 12V converter/charger in the coach will immediately draw 10-15 amps to begin bulk charging the batteries. Your fridge will also try to run on AC power at the same time. It's best not to use other appliances until the batteries have had time to bulk charge for a while. SO when you arrive at your "Moochdock" location (thanks for the term Don!) place the fridge in "LP only" mode if it has one then connect the power straight away and continue leveling/setting up the trailer and visiting with friends etc before starting to use any major appliances in the trailer. Happy Moochdocking!
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
SuperTrouper, Thanks for the very useful expansion on my post.
Beckys, if you haven’t bought the surge protector yet, consider one that shows amps and voltage. Mine is the Hughes Watchdog, with a Bluetooth link to an app on my phone.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #5

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
Sorry if this posts twice...

Ok - this is the surge protector I got - Technology Research Corp 34951 Surge Guard 50A Portable Wireless Surge Guard https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can you all confirm I have this correct --
50amp Flying Cloud - plug in the 50 amp to 15 amp dogbone - Surge protector - extension cord (75' 12 gauge extension cord?) - house power

Turn fridge to LP, don't use house power to run a/c or heat (use gas for furnace) - use house power for minimal things after battery has recharged (lighting, outlets, low draw appliances) Do I have this all correct? Thank you!
beckys is offline   Reply With Quote