Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanValley View Post
Great answers for the most part! It was a question that can be loaded.

I am not a man living in fear, I am someone who looks at the world around me (living space, work space, public space etc) and sees what is really happening. The thought of the AS being a quieter emf free zone is for my own physical and emotional well being. Isn't that what most people do with an AS? Get away from it all? This can be seen as another way of getting away from it all. I am boon docking from the constant bombardment of emf pollution that I am exposed to in the work place. (high school teacher)

As for the people who react in a negative way. No problem carry on to the next thread and have a good day.

I am in the initial process of redoing a 1962 AS 23 footer, single axle so I am considering what to do as I rebuild it.

Thank you
Slocanvalley I truly apologize for my post! Was caught up in the doomsday idea for which the bottle of scotch in my plan. I did not mean to offend you! I believe in live and let live. Good luck with your restoration project and send pictures of your progress. Take Care
69SoulShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69SoulShine View Post
Slocanvalley I truly apologize for my post! Was caught up in the doomsday idea for which the bottle of scotch in my plan. I did not mean to offend you! I believe in live and let live. Good luck with your restoration project and send pictures of your progress. Take Care
Thanks Soul Shine no problemo, save some scotch for me!
SlocanValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 09:36 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
You may also want to consider a water purification system, at least a filter if not full osmosis -- gotta protect those PBFs.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:13 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think we have a problem here of all types of radiation not being the same. RF is usually not a problem until you get tissue heating which is just about impossible unless you stick your head in a microwave with the door interlock disabled.

Ionizing radiation is something that is more dangerous and our biggest source of this is XRAY, and especially CT scans and other radiation based scans like bone scans etc. Radiation from CT scans can get really large and is cumulative. Your doctors don't want you to know this because they make money off the tests and if they give you cancer in the process that is just a bonus to them. They don't make money off of well people.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:24 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Not true, that is based on old data.

This documentary dispels the thermal skin thing. Very good at how we got to where we are.

https://youtu.be/xRQb_m_5FUw
Old 10-28-2019, 04:56 PM   #46
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Fear-a-day
Attached Images

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:12 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Charlotte , North Carolina
There is every day electromagnetic radiation around us from typical electrical systems.

The doomsday thing is EMP. Electromagnetic Pulse. This is a high altitude burst of a nuclear bomb. See Starfish Prime. This is an act of war on someone's part and likely leads to the doomsday event. Two different things linked loosely by a common thread of the impacts of electromagnetic radiation.
Al U. Minium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I don't hold the phone up to my head because it is a very intense source of RF radiation right against your head. Several watts in some cases. I shake my head when I see people with a cell phone plastered on their heads.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlocanValley View Post
Not true, that is based on old data.

This documentary dispels the thermal skin thing. Very good at how we got to where we are.

https://youtu.be/xRQb_m_5FUw
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:43 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Kingsville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I don't hold the phone up to my head because it is a very intense source of RF radiation right against your head. Several watts in some cases. I shake my head when I see people with a cell phone plastered on their heads.

Perry
Yes that is a good first step. Also, cordless phones are very close to cell phones when it comes exposure, baby monitors, blue tooth anything has a very strong signal, all these new fitbit and apple like watches.

Turn your wireless router off at night.

What pops into my head is in the AS videos we see on the inter web, we see people have all the modern tech, satellite, cell signal relievers, boosters, solar power plus batteries. Curious to know if any testing has been done on the levels in the AS.

Oh your are paranoid! Really? So you have taken all this modern tech and concentrated into an aluminum can, when a lot of this tech was spread out over an entire household before.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy my tech but I want to use it responsibly and wisely
Old 10-31-2019, 03:58 AM   #50
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
I guess that once the fall in US life expectancy now attributed to opiode overdoses can instead be blamed on electromagnetic radiation exposure, surely we can agree that it isn't a problem
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:25 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Hailey , ID
Lightbulb Fellow tinfoil hatter looking for answers

Hello!

I am currently renovating a 1987 Airstream, and am also researching how to best shield the inside from external EMF, RF, etc.

Reading through this forum is hilarious, though the ignorance is to be expected since most of the info has been kept from the public eye, but there is a plethora of studies and research done on the detrimental effects of EMF/EMR/RF on, not just the human biology, but all life on the planet and even the planet itself. All life is made of electricity after all, and just like a cable can have interference from external signals and need to be shielded, so too can our bodies. But I digress.

If anyone cares to learn about it, I suggest starting with Arthur Firstenberg's book The Invisible Rainbow.

Anyway, I am curious if you have come up with any sound solutions to turning the Airstream shell into a Faraday cage. I have thought about using carbon paint on the inside of the shell, since I have the interior skins off, and the subfloor. But since that carbon paint needs to be grounded, I thought maybe we could just make sure the shell is grounded? But I wasn't sure about the efficiency of aluminum, and the specific alloy that airstream uses, as a faraday cage, maybe it doesn't matter?

As far as the windows go, you could use metal screens making sure there is solid contact with the grounded shell. I've heard of special films as well that you can add to the glass. They also make EMF blocking fabrics that you could use as curtains/blinds on the windows. but not sure about the EMF bouncing around the fabric...

Of course, you can't eliminate it entirely, as soon as you step outside you are exposed to EMF, unless deep in the mountains, but with the hundreds of thousands of satellites being deployed to beam down constant millimeter waves to every inch of the planet, any hope of escaping it may be gone.

My thought process is to create an EMF free zone inside our living quarters to be able to control when and how much exposure we get.

I will continue my research and post any solutions I find. One thing we do is make sure our bodies our grounded as much as possible, using grounding sheets on our beds, walking barefoot on the ground or wearing grounding shoes etc. eliminates the voltage on our bodies.
wildwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:36 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
If you're looking at doing a build, you should start with a 90's Airstream. They don't have the panoramic front/back windows and you can often find one with fewer windows in general. Or you could always just "patch" them with matching sheet aluminum. Losing the windows is really the only way to make an "effective" shell, and I use the term "effective" lightly.

If you are doing a frame off restoration, you could pretty easily literally build a Faraday cage in the walls. There's not a lot of space, especially if you have *any* insulation, but you could prioritize what makes sense for you.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You will also need an interior space where you can stow your cell phone, tablet, laptop, tv remote (for that matter TV if it is a “smart” tv) as they all can transmit WiFi, Bluetooth and 2/3/4 and soon, 5G.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
I applaud your efforts but there's no escape from radiation exposure. I spent 30+ yrs as a radiation chemist so I have some knowledge on this. First off, we are currently being exposed to historically high levels of cosmic radiation which has documented detrimental health effects due to our rapidly declining magnetic shield that protects us. Nothing can help that unless you hide hundreds of feet underground and even that's no complete escape. Second, I ask people, does the sun feel more intense to you even when it's only 75-85 degrees? That's because we are almost daily in the high to dangerous zone for UV-A and B radiation and UV-C, the most dangerous, which used to be absorbed in the upper atmosphere, is for the first time ever, reaching ground level. Our world is changing rapidly, our weather extremes are an indicator, not because of human activity but because of our changing position in the galaxy, the cycles of the sun and losing our magnetic shield.
Google where the magnetic north and south poles are right now, how far they've moved in 20 yrs vs the last 100 and get ready to be shocked.
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #55
1 Rivet Member

1987 31' Excella
Hailey , ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rfriebele View Post
I applaud your efforts but there's no escape from radiation exposure. I spent 30+ yrs as a radiation chemist so I have some knowledge on this. First off, we are currently being exposed to historically high levels of cosmic radiation which has documented detrimental health effects due to our rapidly declining magnetic shield that protects us. Nothing can help that unless you hide hundreds of feet underground and even that's no complete escape. Second, I ask people, does the sun feel more intense to you even when it's only 75-85 degrees? That's because we are almost daily in the high to dangerous zone for UV-A and B radiation and UV-C, the most dangerous, which used to be absorbed in the upper atmosphere, is for the first time ever, reaching ground level. Our world is changing rapidly, our weather extremes are an indicator, not because of human activity but because of our changing position in the galaxy, the cycles of the sun and losing our magnetic shield.
Google where the magnetic north and south poles are right now, how far they've moved in 20 yrs vs the last 100 and get ready to be shocked.

Yes, I have done a bit of research about that. Our universe is ever changing and we know so very little about it. My intent is not to escape it, but to live more intune with the natural rhythms and frequencies of our environment to increase quality of life. Especially while sleeping as that is our bodies best healing time.
wildwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #56

2014 27' FB International
McCormick , South Carolina
Thank you all for this great conversation. I am one of those people with electromagnetic hyper sensitivity disorder. I am unable to function normally with the influx of cellular and dirty electricity. I am currently looking for someone who knows how to convert the current Verizon wifi in my trailer to an ethernet connection. i saw on a thread (that I now cant find) a man who did this in his trailer with a converter of some sort.
Linda M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:09 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Actually not a new topic. Plenty of "Faraday potential" threads here on the forums. Consensus has generally been that the abundance of glass (windows) eliminates the benefit (waves will enter through the many giant openings). I actually agree that waves have detrimental potential, and I have a feeling that cell phones and Bluetooth will be the "oh my God how did you not know cigarettes were killing you" of the future. But outside of living completely off the grid far, far from society, I'm not sure how to avoid it at this point. I try to minimize generating waves in my home (Ethernet vs. wifi, etc.), and while I do use Bluetooth, I won't stick it directly *inside* my head (headphones/earpiece).

You 're right.
https://www.ktvu.com/news/new-uc-ber...use-and-cancer
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:45 AM   #58
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
PLEASE...stay protected.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3631EDC4-9E69-4A3F-B452-D71ED2A162E2_1_100_o.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	401032  
Old 08-05-2021, 07:09 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Most of us will die from the effects of our inability to step away from the buffet.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote