Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2016, 08:49 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Propane Detector Replacement

I haven't touched my propane detector since I bought my trailer new in the fall of 2003. Like other detectors I assume that it has a fixed life and probably needs replacement. In the mean time I have also bought a generator for emergency power and probably should consider putting in a CO detector also (even though the generator will sit outside the trailer). Obviously a separate CO detector that is battery powered (replaceable) would be cheaper to add than to buy a new CO/Propane detector that runs off of 12 volt power. Have any of you made this upgrade and if you have a combined unit what kind did you buy? I know these things are pricey over at Camping World.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
I bought this from Home Depot (have not used it yet):

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-Plug-...A&gclsrc=aw.ds

It's CO, propane, and natural gas detector. Works on AC power and 9 volt battery.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I'd hesitate before buying a propane gas detector that runs on AC. Often, these detectors require about 1 W or more of power for the sensor to operate correctly - which is why they are typically connected to either AC or a 12 V source. The battery backup probably won't allow the device to run much more than a few hours and if you're not connected to AC or there's an AC failure, you may not have protection.

S
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alano View Post
I'd hesitate before buying a propane gas detector that runs on AC. Often, these detectors require about 1 W or more of power for the sensor to operate correctly - which is why they are typically connected to either AC or a 12 V source. The battery backup probably won't allow the device to run much more than a few hours and if you're not connected to AC or there's an AC failure, you may not have protection.

S
The detector should beep when the battery is low. Still, as you mention, I think a detector connected to 12V battery source would be a better choice.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote