Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X full of water?

Our Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X quit working after a storm yesterday and I realized it was full of water!

Anyone else have this happen with one of these units? The case is supposed to be water resistant.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Contact them and let them know what happened. They will probably ask for photos as proof, but based on my experience when mine failed, they should honor the warranty. They sent me a new one.
Old 05-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Contact them and let them know what happened. They will probably ask for photos as proof, but based on my experience when mine failed, they should honor the warranty. They sent me a new one.
Did your's have water get in it?

I am going to call tomorrow but since it will be Sunday they may be closed. I'll probably have to wait until Monday.

We've had all kinds of rain in the past and no problems so this is surprising. We've had the unit less than a year.

Steve
Old 05-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
No water in mine. It just failed and they wanted to see pictures of the plug to verify it wasn't misused. Mine has been out in the rain many times with no problems, so as long as you haven't opened yours up or something like that, they should honor the warranty.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
We have the EMS pt 30. I suspected h20 in ours but no moisture in the crystal...so far. Three days of steady rain in GA a few months ago, finally put a dish pan over it. Worked fine then but the next stop in Savannah, it Error'd out...high voltage. Read 203vac for the 30 amp plug. Meter read normal as expected at each female contact point in the receptacle. Same reading at 3 other pedestals. After further research and the neighbor plugging his surge protector in our pedestal to confirm, finally plugged in our power cord...all good.

Called cs and they said to go on their website, to provide m/f connection pics and proof of purchase. Well that wasn't in my wallet after 4 years, so finished the trip. Tho must say since we were about 45 days in a 45 still to go, finally plugged it in...all good, but a slight hum.

once home, After finally locating the receipt on amazon, did the web submission, approved same day...we'll be shipping a replacement and is due here Monday. Not sure what the unit will be as it is no longer available, but i'm sure =.

Customer svc was great!

B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejones View Post
Our Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X quit working after a storm yesterday and I realized it was full of water!

Anyone else have this happen with one of these units? The case is supposed to be water resistant.

Steve

Steve, I have the Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X and never thought it looked particularly water tight. While mine has never given me a problem, it has also never experienced anything more than a few nights of light rain (and now I hope it never does).

I would contact Progressive Industries.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we keep ours inside in a dark dry area

IMHO, the units are NOT meant to be left out in the rain
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
To clarify I had the EMS PT30S above that was replaced under warranty by Progressive (as discussed above). Received it (EMP PT30X) a few days ago.

Never had a problem with rain with the S model until that last weekend in Atl.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:53 PM   #9
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we keep ours inside in a dark dry area

IMHO, the units are NOT meant to be left out in the rain
The Progressive Industries EMSPT30X information says otherwise "Weather resistant /designed for outdoor use"
Old 05-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Was it hanging on the power post or laying on the ground?
If you used a dogbone it's possible it wasn't vertical. Many campgrounds don't use real pedestals either.
No, mine has never failed, but when I had a cheaper one, I put a small black garbage bag over it and taped the bag on the cable with the open end of the bag pointing down.

I can't imagine Progressive Industries selling a very expensive device intended to prevent LIGHTNING damage, and then void the warranty if used outside in the rain.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I keep mine in a "dry dark area" also. When I am not using it. But it is out on the pole when we are hooked up. When it is storming is when you need it the most

I would expect that they will replace the unit.

After reading this I think I will be a little more careful with it. But not much. I never laid it in a puddle anyway.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
The Progressive Industries EMSPT30X information says otherwise "Weather resistant /designed for outdoor use"
Just opened the box today and noticed the"weather resistance" decal....not found on the 30S model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Was it hanging on the power post or laying on the ground?
If you used a dogbone it's possible it wasn't vertical. Many campgrounds don't use real pedestals either.
No, mine has never failed, but when I had a cheaper one, I put a small black garbage bag over it and taped the bag on the cable with the open end of the bag pointing down.

I can't imagine Progressive Industries selling a very expensive device intended to prevent LIGHTNING damage, and then void the warranty if used outside in the rain.
Well, at lake sidnie lanier (buford, ga) they only have 50 am pedestals so i had to use a dogbone...plus the pedestals were knee high at best so with the dogbonee the unit was not vertical as normal...usually the panel cover can be left a little open to shield rain the surge protector from rain . On the 3rd day even without any indication of trouble, added a dish pan. Apparently too late.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Progressive Industries is replacing my unit

My warranty claim has been approved and Progressive will be shipping me a new unit. They guy on the phone said they are backed up with warranty claims because of a computer problem. But they are sending me a new unit. Might take 6 weeks or more. Don't know where we'll be then on our travels but we'll figure it out.

Someone asked if it was hanging from the pedestal, on the ground, using a dogbone, etc.

Mine was hooked to a 50A hookup, no dogbone, and hanging straight down from the pedestal. I did determine that the big big nut that secures the plug and wire was a little bit loose. Since I never loosened it, I believe that's the way it came from the factory. I assume that is where the water got in.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-11-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Steve, mine took 3 seeks and came via ups. I did have projected ship date so called then and got a tracking #. On a recent laptop purchase to be del fedx when we were gone, i created a "manage my account" and once in route , was able to chg the del address. In my case to a local fedx office who would hold it for week. Could have been anywhere inc a any fedx office where we knew we would be soon.
b
Old 05-11-2019, 03:49 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
Steve, mine took 3 seeks and came via ups. I did have projected ship date so called then and got a tracking #. On a recent laptop purchase to be del fedx when we were gone, i created a "manage my account" and once in route , was able to chg the del address. In my case to a local fedx office who would hold it for week. Could have been anywhere inc a any fedx office where we knew we would be soon.
b
Thanks CruizinDux,

They are going to ship to our mail service and I'll just forward to the best place once they have it.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 05-11-2019, 06:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Sounds like a plan!
B
Old 05-14-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
On my last trip, the Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X worked fine at the first two stops. There was rain at both places. When hooking up at stop #3 I got a E3 message, high voltage line 1. After turning the breaker on and off a couple of times and unhooking/ hooking up the unit, it quit working, no red lights. I hooked up anyway and the volt meter in the coach showed 126V. Talked to Progressive and confirmed no reset on unit and he explained warranty process.

Took pictures, found receipt on Amazon and submitted. Approved in a short time. While looking at the unit, I noticed moisture in the display area. As another noted, hanging straight down, so not sure how moisture entered unit.

Should the unit be covered with a bag or other such protection when in rain? Also Progressive has excellent customer service and warranty.
extiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:53 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Just out of curiosity, I 'googled' water resistant vs waterproof.
Results indicate makers of all sorts of merchandise- wearable, test equipment, camping equipment all feel that water resistant does not have the same meaning as water proof.
I've owned these products for about 14 years, and yes, they have the very best customer service in the business. Just sayin' - maybe more is being expected than advertised?
'
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312 View Post
Just out of curiosity, I 'googled' water resistant vs waterproof.
Results indicate makers of all sorts of merchandise- wearable, test equipment, camping equipment all feel that water resistant does not have the same meaning as water proof.
I've owned these products for about 14 years, and yes, they have the very best customer service in the business. Just sayin' - maybe more is being expected than advertised?
'
If you purchase an expensive piece of equipment designed for RV/outdoor use and therefore to be used when it rains it should not fill full of water and stop working due to a rain storm. Just sayin'...

I received my replacement unit a couple of days ago. All is good.

Steve
Old 05-24-2019, 07:23 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Mine is full of water too. It was just was approved for a warranty replacement, hope it doesn't take weeks to ship. The customer service person told me they had a bad batch, because the nut on top was not torqued properly. When I set mine on the table to take warranty pictures, a puddle of water leaked out onto the table. Not sure if it was still working properly, but my Airstream still had power, even with the surge protector full of water.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote