Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312 View Post
Just out of curiosity, I 'googled' water resistant vs waterproof.
Results indicate makers of all sorts of merchandise- wearable, test equipment, camping equipment all feel that water resistant does not have the same meaning as water proof.
Water proof to me means you can throw it in a lake and it would be fine. I don't expect that from a surge protector. It's almost impossible to make electrical devices waterproof because it has a receptacle open to the wiring.
As to the question of covering it? Can't hurt, BUT don't close the bag tight. It will create condensation inside.
The way we always waterproofed our connections was to cut a small hole in a bag's bottom, slip the connector through, tape it securely, and leave the open end down.
I bagged my old surge protector, because it had no cover, but also because it had two red LED's which you could see for 100 yards. It was like a giant billboard!
My new P.I. 50 amp surge protector has no lights and it does have a security loop. I haven't covered it yet.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
You can also get the internally mounted version if you prefer. Unless you have trailer leaks, it should be water free.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:21 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
This quote from PI website: WARNING: Product is intended to be used only while in an upright position.
Old 08-12-2022, 01:50 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Disappointing…

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but its worth noting they have not improved this product. I have an external unit and after limited use, it now has a significant amount of water inside. Yes, it was mounted upright. No, it was not left outside when not in use. I would estimate less than 30 days of total usage. In every way it was “normal use” for what the product was designed for.

Pretty disappointing. I would not buy their external unit again.

Note - I did submit a warranty claim, hopefully they honor it…
mountaindrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindrm View Post
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but its worth noting they have not improved this product. I have an external unit and after limited use, it now has a significant amount of water inside. Yes, it was mounted upright.
Since the unit is upright and the EMS has a cover, the logical place to look would be where the cord enters the body. You could loosen the locking nut and smooch some silicone in there, or wrap the wire/cable clamp with electrical tape.
Mine has never shown signs of leaking. Maybe I'm lucky and it's always under the pedestal cover when it rains. I never think of it.
I have been to campgrounds where there's no pedestal and the 50 amp connector is on a 4 x 4 about a foot off the ground. Arggghhhh.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:04 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I thought this thread looked familiar. See post #5.

This is for memory but it seemed when I called them re my problem, they didn't sound surprised. Just fill out the form and send it in and we'll send you a new unit. Sounds like the earlier model was having some moisture issues. Certainly the design of the newer on seems to address it.

CS was great to work with. Go for it.

good luck
Old 08-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaindrm View Post
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but its worth noting they have not improved this product. I have an external unit and after limited use, it now has a significant amount of water inside. Yes, it was mounted upright. No, it was not left outside when not in use. I would estimate less than 30 days of total usage. In every way it was “normal use” for what the product was designed for.

Pretty disappointing. I would not buy their external unit again.

Note - I did submit a warranty claim, hopefully they honor it…
Following up here. The warranty claim was immediately approved. I have the new surge protector in hand (less than a week). The support was awesome. I still can’t understand why the product doesn’t offer better protection from the elements…
mountaindrm is offline   Reply With Quote