Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Progressive EMS-PT30X

Brought my trailer home from storage today and plugged in my EMS-PT30X into a 120 volt outlet using a 30 amp to 15 amp converter here at home. After plugging in the trailer to the EMS unit, I watched the amp draw and noticed the PT30X showed a 6 amp power draw. When I turned the fridge on electric, I noticed another 2 amp draw bringing the PT30X showing a total draw of 8 amps. I also had one fantastic fan on. The two batteries obviously were being charged. So we had fridge on, batteries being charged and a fantastic fan on. After about 8 hours I noticed the draw went down to 4 amps and decided to turn off the fridge. The draw went down to 2 amps, and once I turned off the fan, the draw showed 1 amp.

So I assume the batteries had reached full charge and the fridge had come to internal temperature when the amp draw showed 4 amps. My question however is more with the battery charger in my 15 year old Classic. If I show only 1 amp being drawn through the Progressive unit with nothing turned on, is my converter stepping down the voltage being used to maintain the batteries to 1 amp? To me that's less than a trickle charger which I thought was 2 amps, which would indicate to me that long periods of the trailer being plugged in would not boil out the battery (which is what I always have understood to happen with the older chargers). Am I missing something here in my understanding of what the Progressive unit is displaying? Do trickle chargers cycle off and on so that 2 amps is not continually being applied to batteries?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote