Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2021, 10:00 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmccorm View Post
I just use a regular outdoor extension cord and a Battery Maintainer…
Not familiar with the term Battery Maintainer?
Please elaborate
Thanks
pnwyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwyankee View Post
Not familiar with the term Battery Maintainer?
Please elaborate
Thanks
They are essentially specialized battery chargers, usually they are only capable of low amperage though some of them can run the full cycle between a charge and a maintenance trickle. They maintain batteries in storage without overcharging them.

Fancier ones are designed to round-robin through more than one battery so you can maintain multiple batteries in storage with one device without having an interaction if one of the batteries is different size or age or has a dead cell. BatteryTender and Noco Genius are common brands.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwyankee View Post
. . .
Can anybody suggest a product I can purchase that will enable me to make this connection?
. . .
Wondering if you [OP] found an adaptor which worked with your outlet cover?

Thanks,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

If the converter is hooked to 110V on one side and the battery on the other side, then that's ON. If it is in this state 24/7 then that's "always on".

Bob
Does this apply to all circumstances or just when unoccupied?

If the former, what should full-timers or long term snowbirds that sit plugged in at the same spot for months at a time do regarding their internal converter?

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post

If the former, what should full-timers or long term snowbirds that sit plugged in at the same spot for months at a time do regarding their internal converter?

Greg
An actual battery disconnect would work with relatively modern converters (say 90s and newer)... the converter would continue to supply the 12v bus but the batteries wouldn't be exposed to the converter output. The buzzy old boat anchors needed a battery in the system to smooth out the output.

With a really modern (3-stage) converter when you're actually using the trailer often or always, this isn't a big concern because it's easy to check battery levels and smell or hear if something's amiss.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
I changed out the factory installed converter to an three staged battery charger. I have an 30 amp to 15 amp adapter that plugs into the trailer then I have just a heavy duty cord that plugs into the storage electric. Yes I leave my trailer plugged in 100% of the time it’s in storage. I check on battery water about ever two months if we don’t use it. My AS is an 2009 that AS installed a one stage battery charger (bad) What year is your AS and do you know what type of converter you have???
Old 05-03-2021, 05:36 AM   #27
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post

Greg
Hi

If you are in the trailer "doing stuff" then the battery is seeing a normal use cycle. It's not sitting there simply getting blasted at full charge by a gizmo that wants to charge it a bit more ....mIndeed, you still see some impact.

In a "stationary" 24/7/365 sort of setup you probably want to get rid of the battery entirely. You no longer need it for the break away function. You also would go with a very different 12V source.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote