Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Pre-wired backup camera?

The owner's manual for my 2006 Safari says it's pre-wired for a backup camera, but I can't figure out which camera they mean or how it would be installed. Do any of you know more about this?

Thanks!
TitusLivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
If I recall correctly A/S starting in 06? made it possible to connect to a preinstalled wire located at the top middle rear running light. Supposely your dealer can call A/S and they will tell him excatly where to find the wire. It then connects to the camera. You should contact your dealer and have them find out for sure what's,what's.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
it is supposed to be pre-wired for power Extra wire coming off the license plate lamp. No coax for the video though. Thats what I would like.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
Thanks for your comments...very helpful!

I left voicemail for the camera manufacturer mentioned in the AS owner's manual. They haven't called back, which seems pretty noteworthy in itself. But if/when they do, I'll update this thread with anything I learn from them.

Thanks again!

Titus
Old 05-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Surprise , Arizona
UPDATE: Today I spoke to Bill Verity of "Zone Defense", the camera company (or its successor?) that AS had been working with when they began "pre-wiring" trailers for TV. He said the original plan was to locate a camera near the light above the license plate at the rear of the trailer and to transmit images across the trailer/tow-vehicle power lines. That didn't work out, however, so their R&D department is "re-engineering" the system.

As an alternative, he recommended one of their hardwired TV systems. He suggested mounting it to the trailer's back bumper and running a cable under the trailer and up to the tongue, where it would terminate in a 4-pin connector. A matching cable would then be run under the tow vehicle and up to the firewall, where a hole would be drilled so the cable could enter the cockpit. Once there, it would be connected to a 5", flat-screen, color monitor. He said there are several options for mounting the monitor, including a "Power Port" that goes in a cigarette lighter.

Here's a link to their site for anyone who might be interested. Bill recommended their "System 322", plus extra cable for the TV, and the "Power Port" mount: stagparkway

If you'd like more info about your TV-camera options, I suggest you check the forum's archives (via "Search"), since I've seen some interesting postings recently from people who are using wireless systems.

Hope this info is helpful. Good luck!

Titus
Old 05-01-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
@ $649 plus power point mount and extra cable, that adds up. Is this the normal price range for such a system?

I, too, had read that my 2006 was to be pre-wired but my dealer's service department said no. That was a year ago. Maybe he knew the system that Airstream had put in was flawed. Anyway, what I read had said the pre-wire was under the middle running light in the rear. It would be nice to have one, but for now the wife yelling, "left, no the other left" will just have to do.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #7
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusLivy
UPDATE: Today I spoke to ...the camera company (or its successor?) that AS had been working with when they began "pre-wiring" trailers for TV....
that's good info tituslivy...

i'm surprized ne1 answered the phone

the story i was told (and favor) regarding the prewire is this...

the 'camera company' convinced a/s to prewire units...

whick basically translates into an extra wire near the license plate bracket...

then they wanted a/s to finance development of the actual camera system!

that's right they didn't have the equipment or capital to produce the spec'd components...

a/s opted NOT to finance another startup company project...

but kept adding the wire. it was a production line change already, and line changes are hard in jackson center...

the factory service center has done some camera system installs using the 'prewire'...

but activity has waned since the initial hullabaloo...

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
So 2air, the pre-wire is just a "hot wire" for power to the camera; there is no coax? So if you want a back up camera you still have to buy the coax cable and run it under/through the trailer to supply the camera--monitor hook-up? Is that correct according to your sources? Does that more than likely mean dropping the belly pan to accomplish the installation?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
So 2air, the pre-wire is just a "hot wire" for power to the camera; there is no coax?
correct.

options for the image signal are...

wireless, coaxial over, under or through the unit and so on...

lots of options without dropping the pan...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...amera-927.html

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
I bought this system last November. I've had it hooked up in my truck since then and the camera mounted on the bumper for testing.
I comes with enough cable (2 30' lengths) to cover the length of my truck and trailer.
I haven't run the cable on the trailer yet but will soon.
The only 'problems' I have are where the camera is mounted on my truck bumper, if a vehicle is behind me at night, all I see is a white blob and when it's wet outside, the camera lens cover needs to be wiped off.
The camera does reverse the image so it looks like you're looking in a mirror.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote