Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Venice , FL
Power Strips

Greetings!

We are preparing to become digital nomads in our 28' Flying Cloud. We get our trailer next month. We are complete newbies and everything is new.

My work set up for my accounting work will be a 3-monitor setup consisting of a laptop and 2 slave monitors. As I am working to figure out my power needs, I started thinking about power strips and wondered what impact different power strips have on power usage. I have a lot to learn about basic electricity in terms of power management in our trailer. And so I'm now beginning the process of gaining that knowledge.

Right now I have a power strip that has 12 plugs and I'm only using 4 of them. When I'm working in the trailer, I need a strip to power my 4 devices, which are a laptop, 2 slave monitors and an adding machine.

The initial question that came into my mind is what impact having a strip plugged in to an A/C outlet in the trailer with so many unused plugs might have on electricity usage. Would it cause extra drain on the onboard batteries? And then another thing I don't know about is how the joule rating of different strips affects electricity usage.

I think all of this might be considered part of Electricity 101. Obviously, I want a strip set up that will give me the power I need without using more of my capacity than I need during the work day.

I would be very grateful for any guidance that I can get to facilitate a successful setup of my work station in the trailer.

Thank you so much!
wsomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A power strip does not consume any power on it’s own unless it has a pilot light on it.

Unused outlets on a power strip consume ZERO electricity. Your power strip, unless you have it plugged into an inverter powered outlet does not pull power from the batteries.

To run your computers and monitors on the road would require a shore power connection, a generator, or a huge investment in solar panels and batteries.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
instead of single big power strip, consider adding additional outlets

i have added 4 in our sport 22 to make it more convenient to plug in devices such as , but not limited to:
toasted, electric heater, phone charger, vacuum cleaner, etc.

if you are handy electrical wise its is VERY simple

it also consumes no power when not in use and eliminates long chords from a central spot

here is a sample of what i did https://www.airforums.com/forums/f29...ed-215652.html
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Another thing to consider is an uninterruptible power supply. This would both distribute the power and run the monitors if the AC power goes down. If you use a laptop computer it will have a battery already.
Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote